Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Inline 6 exhaust????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Onelow34, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Onelow34

Onelow34

Wondering what exhaust the daily driver 6ers use? I have heard of running a resonator but wanted some input or ideas.

2. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I run 2" from Fentons to an 'x-pipe' then to 30" glasspacks. DD only vehicle with a few 1k trips each year, can hear the music from the mp3 player and the exhaust note doesn't beat me up.

3. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Are you wanting to run duals or single exhaust? Duals are more aggressive while singles tend to behave more. I love a split-6 with glass packs with all the cackle and rap and "noise." To me it is music. However, you could tone duals down a bit with Borla or Walker Turbo mufflers which are like the old Cherry Bombs in theory but instead of a torpedo shaped body the body looks like a classic muffler. That extra packing in the larger body keeps the sound in check more than a Cherry Bomb or Orange Peeler. Never cared much for a single exhaust on a straight six. Too boring to me. But that's just my opinion and tastes.:)

loudbang likes this.
  4. Onelow34

Onelow34

I'm wanting quiet mainly because it will be my daily and neighborhood complaints. I'm limited on space with my air ride so needing to figure something out. I like the idea of the 30 inch glass pack

5. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

My dad ran a 1967 Chebby Bel Air with a six and a cheap glass pack for years and he never woke the neighbors. He was a respectable accountant and everything! I drove that car a lot as a teen. The power glide made it kinda boring for me but it was still more fun than the cars of the 1970's and early 1980's that the other kids had. It did have a slight "drone" but it wasn't annoying or anything. Long trips were fine. It was just a constant note. A glass pack on a single exhaust would be tame. And you can always add a resonator at the end if you want to later. But you won't.;)

6. CGkidd

CGkidd

Look at porter steel pack mufflers cool sound.

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

One of my cars is an OT 68 Biscayne 4 door sedan that currently has a 250 six and Powerglide. It has a cheap version of a Flow Master muffler (came on the car), and it's quiet, but throaty when you want it to be. The car will hit 90 MPH very quickly, is completely stock, and because the radio does't work, I could't tolerate a trashy exhaust sound for long. It's destined to be a Sportsman Bracket drag car with a built 350/TH350/4.11's, and decked out like a 68, Washington State Patrol cruiser; only those came with a 390 HP 427, TH400, and 12 bolt rear end. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.