Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Initial Quadrajet idle screw adjustment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubman, Aug 14, 2018.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm finally back on my "Quadrajet on a flathead" project and have a carb off a '76 Olds almost ready to go (thanks Rich B). I have purchased all of the Quadrajet books I can find, and I don't see the initial setting for the two idle screws in the base. I have set them at 1 3/4 turns out like I do with Holley 94's. The engine doesn't want to idle. Does anyone have the proper initial setting for these?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Some are as far out as 2 1/2 to 3 turns.

3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

1 1/2 to 2 out after light seating of screw . Do not over tighten it and “ ring” the screw or you will understand the term screwed

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

When I went through the 305 in my wife's OT Firechicken, I put a big bigger cam in. In doing that, I found I needed to open up the idle orfice tubes a wee bit so it would idle better. Small drill bits can find out what size the hole is, and enlarge by .002 at a time. 4802-w-info.gif

don colaps likes this.

5. I always start at about 2 1/2 turns and adjust from there.

6. carbking

carbking

SUGGESTED INITIAL SETTINGS for original carb on original manifold (no adapter):

1965 ~ 1967 - 1.25~1.5 turns
    1968 ~ up - 1.75 ~ 2 turns

Not aware of a spread-bore manifold for flat-head, but then haven't seen everything. If you are trying to use an adapter, probably double the above due to the adapter.

Jon.