Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Information Needed for a Vintage Hurst Shifter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by restorit, Aug 30, 2017.

1. I would appreciate any information on the Hurst 3-speed shifter I have pictured. A friend says this has a "Yo-Yo" shift handle. The patent number is 620376. Thanks!

IMG_6913.JPG IMG_6914.JPG

Cliff Ramsdell and chubbie like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Thanks for the link!

4. Yep its a Hurst Yo-Yo handle.

Here is something to look out for when buying one, Spark-O-Matic made one like it for 3 speeds long after Hurst stopped making them. They did say Spark-O-Matic on them instead of HURST but some of them had no markings at all except on the shifter body. So if you are buying be careful what you are getting. ;)

dana barlow likes this.

5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would be a 1961 model. The 1st ones say "dual pattern " on the side of the shifter body, then next ones say "synchro loc" on them. They may have made a 4 spd yoyo version but I've never seen one. If you look about 1/2 way down on this pic , you will see one with wood "barrels" on it :

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    stillrunners likes this.
  6. Hey PnB - Haven't heard from you in a while. The handle does say Hurst on it. Still trying to make a deal on it, Mustang and GTO parts. TC

7. Most I have seen have had either wood barrels or white barrels. The Barrels on Tom's are actually pretty unique. I am guessing that it is a later version too, the earliest ones didn't have the shift stops as I recall.

I had one a long time ago, I traded a Mystery Shift for it. It was a better shifter in my book.

Tom,
    Yep its been a while, how ya been? I wish I could tell you an actual value on the shifter, @bowie is going to come a lot closer on value then I ever will. If you can trade for it then you are likely going to come out better then buying it. I always like trading better anyway.

bowie likes this.