Register now to get rid of these ads!

Incredible welds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty f100, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Tig/Schmig! How 'bout truly traditional? I wanna see some beautiful (in the eyes of the beholder) buzz box arc welds. There have to be some traditional artistes who can chew gum and hold rod at the same time. Let's see 'em!!:)

2. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

3. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

I don't have a buzz box right now, but maybe I'll get some pics of some 7018 welds done on a/c with a rectifier....Anyone else got pics???

Here are some more tig, and a couple mig...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    These are some junk tool steel pieces that I put togther before they get scrapped:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

-Josh

4. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Josh - ass kick work bro...!!!

Were do you work..??

Who asked to see more copper...???

Here ya go.

Attached Files:

5. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

WOW.......Josh & Rich - you guys got it going on..... I am humbled.

Thanks for the props Josh - I luv aluminum.

Paco

6. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Do you use de-oxidized wire? Cool stuff for sure!

Well, what time is it? I think I'm still employed by Chrysler:confused: I also started a small welding business earlier this year; I'm a millwright by trade but welding is really where my passion is. Whatever happens in the future, I'll be welding somewhere:D

It shows! I love aluminum too, except for when I hate it:rolleyes: It can be so beautiful, and yet so fickle....at least in my hands.

-Josh

7. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Ok, come fix mine!

8. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Thanks Dudes,

I have used de-oxidized filler - but I do not like it.

I strip 16 & 18 Gage Solid core elec wire & clean with alky or Acetone.

9. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

I likes aluminum too.

Attached Files:

10. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Dude, if anyone hasn't taken the time to look through Rich's photo album on metalshapers DO IT!!!

I was thinking the jig you made for the '32 is awesome, then I looked through the sculpture album and realized that EVERYTHING you do is awesome:) The Butterfly bench is way cool, and the fact that you seem have some many techniques at your disposal is amazing. I can weld, but my metalforming is is in its infancy. Your shit is off the charts!

-Josh

11. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

12. ***** Buzz box my ass let's get out the air-co and some coat hangers !! >>>>.

13. THEKID49

THEKID49

There is some very nice work on these pages. Here are some I did at work yesterday.

Raw aluminum
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Raw and anodized. The plate with the holes is anodized.
    [​IMG]

14. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Nice work Kid ........... looks as if some boat-nic will be happy.

Paco

15. THEKID49

THEKID49

Yeah, it's a radar arch for a boat. We build T-tops and archs and all kinds of aluminum stuff for boats. This one is going to be powder coated.

16. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

VERY cool Kid!

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Quality work there, Keep em coming.

18. Concrete B

Concrete B

Great welds in here. I love it. I finally laid my first TIG beads yesterday. I'm using a Hobart stick machine for power, scratch start. I'm trying to learn on stainless, since it seems to welds prettier. Once I get that down I'll apply that to carbon steel and aluminum. My dad is a welder by trade, and has been working with me on my stick technique, and now we're gonna move on to TIG.

I had no teaching here. Just some hot tips from welders and Ron Covells TIG DVD (great purchse). Just wanted to get an arc. Mixed results.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  19. nutrocker

nutrocker

First few are 17-4 stainless on some surgical instruments I weld for a local company. Shame they then polish the welds smooth then beed blast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is just a bit of ally I did for a guy turbocharging some hot hatch thingie.

[​IMG]

20. HanibleH20

HanibleH20

This thread is awesome!! If I can pick up the part after welding with out leaving a piece on the work bench I'm happy!

21. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

I know exactly what you are saying, I can't lay near as nice beads as shown on this post, Im a machinist, and I go out of my way all the time to make my machine work stand out, even if it's a freeby for my buddie's, if for nothing else just to please myself, even though the average Joe wouldn't even notice, I figure my work has my name on it, therefore, it's need's to be the best I can do. I think more craftsman need to have this mindset. OK now that I've got that off my chest, this is a great post with some very talented fabrication & welding skills, wish you guy's lived closer, we'd cut some deals

22. some really nice welding guys

23. WOW! All I can say is that a post like this inspires me . . . so much of this is pure art as far as I'm concerned (but good strong penetrating art :D). I was a bit scared to tackle TIG, but I figured . . . what the hell . . . I want to fabricate my own frames/suspensions and I used to be pretty good with gas and stick, so I bought a suitcase Miller (can't go wrong with Blue!).

Anyway, I've just been practicing - decided to build my own rotating frame jig. Great way to learn is to keep practicing . . . before I weld on my own frame! Also, having a frame jig that can rotate means that I don't have to do "upside down" welding . . . which is more than I can tackle at this early stage of learning.

For those who are pondering TIG, but are a bit nervous . . . just jump in and practice. I only have about 10 hours of TIG under my belt (learning at home on my own), but I really like the technique - though I have MUCH to learn. For now, I'm trying to make sure I have good prep, good penetration, the right materials and good setup . . . the "beauty" will come with time.

Here is one of my welds (frame jig) after about 5 hours of learning . . . now don't laugh boys . . . cause I have a LONG ways to go . . . and I don't do this for a living!

I believe I'm about ready to apply at 'Wrigley Gum' . . . as is obvious with my skill level :eek: . . .

UprightWelds-cropped.jpg

24. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Here is one of my welds (frame jig) after about 5 hours of learning . . . now don't laugh boys . . . cause I have a LONG ways to go . . . and I don't do this for a living!"

That's a good looking weld........nothin' to be ashamed of there !

25. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

This is a video I shot mostly for this thread, since I had some people asking about the 'pulse' method. The second part shows the foot pedal. I still have to figure out a way to record from behind the mask without feeling like you're staring at the sun.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NURWaprX_to&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NURWaprX_to&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

26. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

And the finished weld product looked like ........

Paco

27. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

The other thing this method does is keep the heat relatively localized... instead of going like this < it's more like this =. In a very simplified sort of way.

Attached Files:

28. Is that stick weld with slag on that lower weld?
    I remember way back, I think 7013 rod that produced neat welds. Maybe the numbers have changed.

29. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Here's a dumb question ...when you guys are using a mig...do you weld right to left or left to right...or doesn't it matter. pardon my inexperience.

30. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Thanks WelderSeries. Looks good.

Although I've not utilized your product (yet) I do like the concept very much. Keep coming up with new & kewl items.

Maybe someone will bring one to me to finish....

Paco