Register now to get rid of these ads!

Incredible welds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty f100, Oct 6, 2008.

1. I'll play along instead of bumping the thread. :) DSC01589.JPG

loudbang and 1-SHOT like this.
  2. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Welding Die Cast. When I worked at a Mercedes we had a rod for welding die cast and there was a special flux we call
    Dippity Do it was blue and reminded us of the hair jell by the same name. We used
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch to weld it with a neutral flame. Side note. Oxygen/Hydrogen produces. No Carbon to contaminate the weld and can be used if you have access to it. I had a friend that repaired a lot of Pyrex glass medical equipment with Oxygen/Hydrogen. Bill would annal it first then make the repair then retemperate it

loudbang likes this.
  3. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Looks like you’re the only one that’s welded in two years
    Since we have so few post’s maybe we should a GRINDER POST.

loudbang likes this.
  4. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

I've done plenty of welding but nothing is incredible about my skill.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well I haven’t touched a welder in over 13+ years. Had to make a weld on a bracket for the motor home. Dusted off the Miller Thunderbolt A/C welder and grabbed my 13+ year old rods, that were laying in my tool box and went to work.Oddly enough since this weld a month or so ago , I’ve had to weld up two other projects! I guess it just primed the pump. Lol 3F824FF8-0ED4-4B6A-BD51-DA7EB7219762.jpeg

Bones

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    loudbang and alanp561 like this.
  6. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

I'm not a person that can say I know the trade. I can only admire the workman ship.

b-body-bob and loudbang like this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Okay, this may be a good place to ask! I used my 13 year old Lincoln E-6013 welding rods and they worked great. But I ran out of my old stash and had to go buy a new box. I bought exactly the same rod! When I pulled the new rod out, I saw that the flux coating was smaller and a slightly different color.
    The new rods don’t weld like the old rods! I actually bought the box of new rods before I completely ran out of the old rods. The new rods were extremely difficult to get started. Since I had welds in some tough areas and some easy welds I alternated between the rods, using my old rods in the difficult areas! I overwhelmingly preferred my 13+ year old rods! Anyone else noticed this?

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not trying to be a PITA or anything, but I wouldn't use E6013 if E6010 was available. I would only use that as a root pass to burn through oxidation, paint or anything else that's attached itself to what you're welding and you can't scrape or brush off. Finish it off with E7018. Unless the rods were in a sealed can just prior to use, I especially wouldn't use a rod that has been exposed to the atmosphere for 13 years. Don't get me wrong, I broke in on a Lincoln AC buzz box with 6013 but when I learned about better machines and materials, that's where I went. My stick rod stays in a rod oven at 250 degrees until I need it and it doesn't stay out of the oven over 4 hours. I've seen a lot of pretty tig and mig welds done by folks on here. A lot of the welds could have been done with stick faster and still look nice enough to leave as they were without resorting to a grinder. My two examples are on a cross member that I built for the rear wishbones on my T. No one was ever going to see it but me. The only thing I was worried about was whether or not the welds I made were going to draw the cross member in a direction I didn't want it to go. I tacked the whole thing to a 1/2" thick strong back and brought the welds from the outside edges to the middle. There's exactly the right amount of weld on all the joints and after I removed the strong back, the cross member stayed in the shape it was supposed to be.

Attached Files:

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I keep both my TIG & STICK rods in sealed rod holders so they don't oxidize or absorb moisture.

triumph 1, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Alan wadda you mean your NOT trying to be a PITA? Lol
    I get that all the time from my B/I/L, he’s a professional welder and always accuses me of using junk rod. When I had to weld that bracket, I though I’d take a chance on that handful of rods I found in a tool box next to the welder. I truly figured an AC welder, 13 year old rods, no welding in 10 years, I figured I would have trouble! But, it looked like a pertty good weld for a guy with no real formal training.
    I ,too, learned on a Monkey Wards cracker box welder built by Lincoln and using 6013 Lincoln Fleet weld. Is it the best rod? It is for me. That weld in my picture, actually “ chipped it self! I knocked the slag off with my finger!
    I now have a Miller Bobcat AC/DC gas powered welder. But I still use the Lincoln 6013 Fleetweld37. It’s because I can get a pertty weld with it. I can and do use 7018 upon occasion, usually when I weld uphill, I use 6013 for down hill, I can control it better.
    It’s just what I like and can make pertty!

Bones

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020