Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods In Search of..! Please HELP..!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockinronald, Mar 8, 2018.

1. rockinronald

rockinronald

I'm looking for a vintage Midget Race car (40's) that I knew as a young boy growing up in Chittenango, New York, back in the 50's. It belong to an Elder neighbor by the last name of Argensinger (not sure of spelling). Mr Argensinger lived on the next block over from my street on Falls Boulevard (NY Rt#13). When I was around 8 years old, I would ride my bike around the block and purposely go by Mr. Argensinger's house to first, see if the garage door was open on the three bay garage, where the Midget race car was parked way in the back up against the wall, and secondly, hope that Mr Argensinger was outside sitting under the apple tree in his lawn chair, usually on a hot summer's day. Then, if both conditions were apparent, I would get up the nerve to go up to Mr. Argensinger and ask him if I could go in the garage and look at the Midget race Car. Many, times, he would be outside, and he would always say "yes, but don't touch". We got to know each other quite well under these vague circumstances. This went on for about two years, then, one day I watched Mr. Argensinger's two teenage sons, pushing the Midget race car down Falls Boulevard, trying to get it started, but to no avail. The race car was a very pretty yellow or beige color, with red trim and a red upholstered interior. I distinqly remember it had red spoked wheels with skinny black Firestone tires. also, very distinctely, I remember that the engine was a Ford, 60 HP flathead V8, with offenhouser aluminum finned cylinder heads and three deuce carburetors . It was a beautiful sight to behold. The only strange thing that really bothers me is, that I don't recall any number or numbers on it. One would think that this would be the most predominant feature of all, that one would remember. So, along around the late 90's, I decided to start an all out search for this car and started to make some phone calls. first, I called one of the Argensinger Sons, who at that time lived in the Cazenovia area, don't remember his firt name, but somehow, George comes to mind. He told me very excitedly that , yes the Midget Race Car was sold to Stoney, of Stone's Marina, Bridgeport, New York, but before I could talked to Mr. Stone, he had passed away in the hospital, and no-one in his family knew who he had sold the car to. But, as years went by, (2016), I was talking to an old friend of mine from Chittenango, Jonny Button, (Chittenango Cheetah)who CGGzt2EWoAEBmmJ.jpg also had passed away recently, told me that he knew of the car, and believed that it was a kit car and said that he didn't think that the car was ever raced. Unfortunately, Jonny couldn't lend me anymore information as to the where abouts of this car, but said that it was probably still in the area here somewhere. Encouraging words, to me, but seemingly hopeless, also. Well, to end my childhood dream story, I would like to say that, anyone out there with any knowledge about this race car, PLEASE come forward and at least tell me that it still is in the area and not destroyed or better yet, tell me where it is so I may possibly go see it and have a very nostalgic time looking at it with a very happy flashback of my childhood days. Ultimately, if someone does come forward, I would be very happy to reward them with a finder's fee if it leads to positive results. My phone number is 315-420-7723 (cell) or 315-633-9290 (home), E-mail:[email protected] .
    Hopeful but sadly unsure,
    Ronald W. Centner Sr. CGGzt2EWoAEBmmJ.jpg

2. Good luck with your search. Hope you find the car. Keep us posted. I love these stories.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  3. Try the racing research museum in Watkins Glen the Argensinger’s were very involved with Watkins International. I will show this to a co worker who maybe able to help. Hobo Jim

lothiandon1940 and stanlow69 like this.
  4. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

The family involved with Watkins Glen was spelled Argetsinger.

I don't know if this will help or hinder the original poster's search.

56 Dodge Pickup likes this.

5. Yes you are right my bad spelling strikes again. Thank you for pointing this out.

6. I have a contact out near Binghamton that is into midgets etc. I will get his contact info for you.