Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures In A Nut Shell...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 12, 2010.

1. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

There he is..over there, in the corner. sheepish grin, not loud at all, mabey a little windblown and sun burnt. That man, my friends is the Underdog.

See, sometimes this man gets shit on. sometimes not, it really doesn't matter to him either way, because it bears him no consequence. The Underdog need not know shame, because The Underdog has none.

The Underdog is always working his angle. He has no other choice. His ideals are high kept, and his plan is of the upmost importance to him...and only him.

The ones from above laugh at The Underdog. They never notice that where once he was alone, but he has a growing army of other underdogs. They WILL NOT go unnoticed forever. But The Underdog stays true to the art. head down, tires burning....It is all The Underdog will ever know.

The day will come when The Underdog will surpass them. This is not "part of the plan" or "a formula for success" . It will never show up on someones "to do list" or "power point presentation" it is simply inevitable...and the time, Oh my Brothers, is nigh....The Revolution is NOW.

2. Think I just figured out who "Janet" is. ;)

3. I think there are a lot more like Janet,
    in the mainstream automotive print industry.

4. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

TRUE!!!! I have clicked over on some of those "other" sites....and I could not figure them out and I was getting "ads" popping up and I felt like I was trying to look at my local newspaper......

Chris

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

As "Janet" said...:
    "..........Street Rodder.......... created this world for you and you allow your users to trash each on an almost daily basis..............."

what a load of shit that is...by the time SRM came out many of us had logged tens of thousands of miles in our hot rods, and I had driven across the Country in one many years before SRM ever came out...
    It sure seems we were all doing just fine all through the 1950's and 1960's without SRM...
    To lump SRM in with HRM and R&C is ridiculous. I was raised with HRM and R&C and I was reading them in classrooms as early as 1960.
    The birth of SRM isn't even in the right decade.

Janet...your "facts" are just fabricated baloney. If you are knowingly stating your facts wrong, then you are lying.
    If you don't know any better, you aren't qualified to tout yourself as an expert.

Now, which one is it?

6. classicfins

classicfins

Ok.... I now understand completely.. Janet's a dumbass. 'nuff said!

7. daddio211

daddio211

This could be the most highly replied to thread ever. Janet sure ruffled some feathers, didn't he? Twelve hours, 283 comments and counting!

8. RF

RF

Good observation from a freelancer's point of view...but unfortunately, untrue.

The reality is, who cares? Those who get it, get it, and know the value each entity possesses. We're not competing with the HAMB, at least I'm not. And while yes, there have been and will be plenty of times where the HAMB will beat us to the punch, that's the reality that I accept and deal with. It ain't the end of the world, nor the print world...at least I in my case, I sure hope not. Anything worthy of print will get printed, regardless of its virgin nature or already having had its cherry popped on the Web. There's room for the both of us on the table--just depends what end you want to sit on...I prefer being in the middle.

9. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

WOW, I can't believe I read the WHOLE THREAD (as of 6:41pm PST on November 12, 2010)!!!

Let's just say, I'm glad THIS site exists, I glad R&C, TRJ and a couple of other MAGAZINES exist. There's room for both, like flatheads and nailheads and Y-blocks, we ALL can play.

Except for those stupid SBC's, they're not cool like those OTHER engines, the SBC's have to play in the corner. HEHEHEHEHE

Before you all get on my case - the Grandpa Car has the 350 Chevy HE put in it before he passed away. If you don't like his choice of engine - don't post on my threads.

HEHEHEHE

In all seriousness, I've enjoyed every minute here on this website.

I've had MANY enjoyable minutes with car mags.

Somebody either got upset over a perceived (or maybe direct) slight, OR they sent the email with the intent of riling up this group, because Janet suspected Ryan might share, for an article or editorial about the "bullies on the HAMB."

dv

10. RichG

RichG

Janet's just upset that I gave you $50 and didn't use that money to buy a subscription to his 'rag.

Guess what? Janet's not getting my money next year either, but my fifty will be in the mail again to you Ryan.

11. DaveInc

DaveInc

I used to read ALL the magazines until I started noticing a familiarity to each other. They were all doing the same story. If one did a "Paint" issue they all ran it within the month. They were all feeding from the same trough of material. One more point, if the print rags have created this hobby/sport, why is it they create a new magazine after a trend gets popular? i.e. Hot Rod .... Hot Rod Deluxe. There are a few writers like Peter Egan that I enjoy reading and will continue to buy magazines if they are featured in them, however I no longer buy the cookie cutter, trend chasing versions. Keep up the good work Ryan, and keep the faith.

12. Wow! The passion and opinions expressed in this thread will hopefully help awaken Janet to what the HAMB means in the lives of thousands of people. You can't interact with a print magazine Janet. Print magazines are products. The HAMB is a living organism both brought to life and sustained by its' many members and I think that most of us know that intuitively. Good luck Janet, judging by the attitudes that you expressed I believe that you are going to need it.

13. George G

George G

Clearly Janet is Sexually frustrated.

Hey Janet. Go do it in a hot rod.

14. Street Rodder created this world for you...and Street Rodder can take it away.

Note to Janet: the ads go in the back of the magazine, not the inside/front cover and the next 2 pages.

15. ravedodger

ravedodger

I know this is going to be lost in the pages of posts to follow, but I'll throw in my two cents too.

This was me.

I started reading the magazines (Hot Rod and Street Rodder) somewhere around 1985, or 25 years ago for the math impaired. I never subscribed. I just dreamed of someday having my own hot rod. It never happened. I was always caught up on the high prices. That is: all the chrome, disc brakes, crazy rims, blinding graphics and exotic suspensions. Then there was the new billet thing. So around 2000-2002 I'm hanging out with my step father and his friends in the Bent Axles CC out of Santa Maria really beginning to think that rodding had passed me by when all their cars cost $20-50k. Then I finally attended Paso and found Kar Kulture Deluxe (the old version)...

I felt I finally found something I could afford outside of Volkswagens. I could build a rat-rod or an old style hot rod. I didn't know the difference back then (sorry). So in coming home after Paso, I started looking around the internet for more information about these cool cars and eventually found, or stumbled upon, the HAMB. I think that was about 2003. I joined in 2007 and finally started posting this year.

Last fall, I threw my hands up and jumped in. I couldn't wait any longer. I've been a daily reader for over a year now. With the help of friends, family and the HAMB, I'm slowly gathering the right resources and parts to make my childhood dream a reality.

As far as the magazines go, I recently learned of the small pages. I've been a fairly avid reader of Kar Kulture and Old Skool. They have neat pictures; what can I say? I really enjoy a couple of the newer, better quality mags as well, especially Zombie's newest project and Hot Rod Deluxe. I've noticed lately that Rod & Custom and even Hot Rod have had cars that I like as well. I hope to see the trend continue.

The bottom line is that the magazines can't make dreams come true, they keep you dreaming. It's the people of the HAMB that provide motivation and inspiration.

Thanks guys.

16. autobilly

autobilly

What ever happened to freedom of the press and even freedom of speech? Just 'cos Janet don't want to hear it, don't mean that people aren't sayin' it! (What ever "it" is.)

17. ...and they are having trouble keeping their heads above water.

If these magazines were so powerful,
    maybe they should work on attracting new readers.

18. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Do you suspect "Janet" suffers from multiple personality disorder and has an inner conflict regarding old gas stations?

19. All the monthly magazines could drop off the planet and I would not give a crap.

I about go into DT's when the HAMB is down for maintenance.

Even most of the less frequent non-corporate but still in the big bookstore mags suck, for different reasons.

I do miss HOMETOWN HOT RODS though. Tits in bare bones.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  20. Toner283

Toner283

Pretty high on your horse there aren't you Binky?? You did not "create" shit. This hobby has been around since before the magazines were here and I would wager it will be around long after they are gone.

Sure there are assholes on here, but there are assholes everywhere in life. Some of the guys that I have seen get spanked on here deserved what they got though, same as I would toss someone out of my garage if they came to my place & started acting like a dick.

I liked the video that you made, had a lot of great footage from the early days. You know, BEFORE the magazines created this world for us.:rolleyes:

Am I strange because about halfway through watching it I had a big urge to go out in the garage & work on my car?

I cannot speak for anyone but myself about this thing you have created Ryan, and I can't really put it in the proper words, but thanks for seeing your dream & making it a reality for the rest of us to see as well.

21. nummie

nummie

ryan... you allow freedom of speech??!!? oh no!! gasp... someone read something they didnt like. I read something i dont like every time i pick up a magazine. thats probably the reason I dont pick them up anymore. sounds like janet needs to grow a pair and realize that most on the HAMB dont want a rust color powdercoated chassis, TBI, sequential fuel injection, or just about any other bolt-together order-it-from-a-catalouge doo dad. maybe with the HAMB main-stream print media just missed thier target audience.

22. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

Well.... I dont have all the time to read all the post because theres so much more to see here!!! If theres one thing in life we've all learned, its that you cant keep every one happy, and he or she's one of the very few of the un-happy...So with that... I say find a new site then that will meet your standards Janet.. Thanks Ryan for all you do and happy rodding!!!

23. skywolf

skywolf

Perhaps Janet is not familiar with the concept of the paradigm shift.

"........ Similarly, agents of change are driving a new paradigm shift today. The signs are all around us. For example, the introduction of the personal computer and the internet have impacted both personal and business environments, and is a catalyst for a Paradigm Shift. Newspaper publishing has been reshaped into Web sites, blogging, and web feeds. The Internet has enabled or accelerated the creation of new forms of human interactions through instant messaging, Internet forums, and social networking sites. We are shifting from a mechanistic, manufacturing, industrial society to an organic, service based, information centered society, and increases in technology will continue to impact globally. Change is inevitable. It's the only true constant."

24. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

Dear Mr Henry Ford,
    we are contacting you in regards to your new horseless cariage autocontraption,we are members of the Cariage Builders Association of thee Americas and ask you please stop enticing our american people dues to the fact that your new contraption is nothing more than a gimmick . Please leave well enogh alone.

25. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

seriously though(while i am a large collector of late 40's-early 60's mags) i have always felt that magazines (editors/writers/freelancers)always produce THEIR take on what THEY see.since thee inception of HOT ROD car mags.

26. Way to go Ryan, you ruined everything!!!...Janet is a tool and is just one more person with a shitty opinion. The detractors are so far outweighed by the supporters that it doesn't matter. This is a community and no community goes without faults. Janet blaming you and your creation for ruining anything is like giving Al Gore credit for inventing the internet.

Magazines will still sell and the world will go on with or without Janet's whiney ass. Ryan, you are living the dream for a lot of us who won't(or didn't) get the opportunity, so keep it going without remorse.

27. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Ah man, that's fucking beautiful!:D

28. I think KIRK back on post #139 said it right if we are being honest.We all were checking out magazines when we first got into cars.Have been into this hobby since the late sixties and have seen lots of trends come and go in all of the magazines. I agree that JANET is out of line with his take on things.
    I noticed there was alot of talk about not buying magazines because they did not reflect the tradiational hot rodding movement. Alot of that was expressed by people who do support the HAMB through alliance memberships.What does that tell us?

29. STICKMAN

STICKMAN

Yah Ryan, you've single handedly destroyed the fabric of hot rodding. I can't believe you allow your hoodlums to spread hate propaganda! If you don't tighten' up their leash, than their will be no market for my ten dollar magazine featuring pages of big dollar advertisers selling their quality billet knock off accessories!!! Hey, if your members don't have the cash to join this executives only hobby, than maybe they should just collect hot wheels and watch the big boys!

30. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...even if its wrong. H.S.T.

Thank you Ryan!