Register now to get rid of these ads!

Impala Horn Ring/Button Repair Kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by themodernartist, Feb 1, 2014.

1. themodernartist

themodernartist

I rarely seek help but this ones got me whipped. I went to a smaller '59 Impala steering wheel on my '47 Ford mild custom convertible but I can't get the horn parts correct. The new 15" steering wheel is on from Ecklers Late Great Chevy. It installed properly with no problems. Problems started when I tried to assemble the horn button parts that I was using on the old larger steering wheel. I first made sure I had all the parts in correct sequence and triple checked their sequence with a diagram I originally used years ago. The horn would just keep continuously sounding until I pulled the horn fuse from the fuse block to get it to stop. I then purchased the repair kit part #553004 which is what Ecklers recommends. I could not get the plastic sleeve inserted down thru the base of the steering wheel because of the self canceling plastic part beneath the steering wheel. Anyway I'm at a loss. Any ideas from anyone out there that has installed the smaller steering wheel?
    Peace,
    Charles
    My New Steering Wheel 2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  2. Have you checked with Year One,they pride themselves on having correct fit parts. HRP

3. themodernartist

themodernartist

Purchased Year One horn button kit, Read instructions I recently found on the subject complete with photos. I now have more movement up and down of horn ring which should keep the part up and away from making contact when not pressed. It will still start honking continuously when I insert the horn fuse into the fuse box. Still need help. Any more ideas?
    Peace,
    Charles