Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm really bummed, Ford-O-Matic trans question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38Chevy454, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Well, I am really bummed out. I have been busting ass to get my modified roadster done for Billetproof. So with help of SamIyam and another friend last night, after finally getting everything hooked up like brakes and driveshaft, and able to test the trans, it appears the trans is fucked up. This was the one big question mark that I had when finishing up the car and now it bit me in tha ass. Looks like you will have to see me in my daily driver 37 Chevy truck at BP.

The trans has several very strange actions, which I will try to list below:

1. When in park, it actually seems to behave as if in gear, with the load from the converter.

2. The gear pattern is almost like it is reversed, in that it is in reverse when in drive position. But park is definitely engaging the pawl, and the other end of the shift pattern (meaning low position) is nothing, almost like nuetral.

3. Drive does not work except for a fraction of a second when going out of park. It slips bad no matter what.

4. It is puking fluid out the fill tube. Although I shortened the tube to about 8 inches high, it still should not be puking it out.

Anyone have any ideas on a diagnosis that would be an easy fix and not just "get the trans rebuilt"? Rebuilding this trans is expen$ive.

So I think I need to get another trans or just say fuck it and shitcan this old 53 Ford 215 engine and trans. My old 60 F-100 had one of these same trans and I hated that one too. Fuck these POS-O-Matic trans. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I will post in tha classifieds also, but anyone have a working POS-O-Matic trans they are selling? Hopefully somewhat close to the SF Bay Area? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. i was looking for one too, good luck man. noone seems to have one..try "sleeper" he's a Falcon guy, he may know where
    you can dig one up.
    John

oh, and yes, mine is a piece of shit(tm) too. haha

3. Killer

Killer

blame Dr.J...

[​IMG]

I'll call my trans buddy, see if he has any ideas....

4. BTTT for anyone else that may have some ideas?????

I have PM'd with a HAMB'er about a 65 trans, does anyone know if this is the same or can work in my car?

5. shoebox72

shoebox72

Just something you may want to investigate. make sure the kickdown linkage to the carb is hooked up & adjusted properly. This will give you trouble as it is a sensitive adjustment. let me know how you make out.

Billy

6. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Oh, THAT fordomatic... Story was that it came out a runner.

7. lesabre59

lesabre59

Sorry to hear that Terry, was looking forward to seeing the roadster at BP. Look at the bright side, it coulda been worse...you coulda had a DYNAFLOW [​IMG]

8. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I am unfamilar with your power train. IS this a cast iron ford tranny or the aluminum 2 speed?

The cast iron units had problems with the shift link inside coming loose and moving around. It was not uncommon to have the shifter in park and the tranny still in reverse trying to back up. OR have it in neutral and the tranny in drive trying to run yer asss down.