Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm off to find my '30 Roadster in the Basement.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Oct 23, 2010.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

I may have put an hour or two into the project this weekend. Got all the plugs cut out of a junk firewall to fill the unwanted holes in this one, cut out the lump for the choke rod. I did sell some stuff this week and will put it into needed parts. This firewall is a long way fron the finished firewall in Dodgerrodders RPU, he's set the bar, its good to have a goal.:)

Attached Files:

2. aircoup

aircoup

well did ya forget about it its kinda like wearing the kitchen sink for a necklace

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Slacked off on the project today, just one more firewall hole to fill. Hope to have things finished for the sandblaster pickup this week. Did well yesterday on the scrap I cleaned out of the basement, turned it over into two parts buys. Does anyone recognize what this deck lid handle is from? Not Model A, stainless steel, 4 5/8 tip to tip.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
    Six Ball likes this.
  4. Gigantor

Gigantor

Considering that I just brought home a 30-31 Roadster yesterday - I'm going to be watching this thread like a hawk.

5. sawzall

sawzall

awesome... just awesome

Six Ball likes this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is that the one that was posted last week from New Hampshire? If so it is a lot like my body when I found it.

Six Ball likes this.
  7. Gigantor

Gigantor

Yeah, it was in Vermont. I'm still trying to figure out what year it is. All the ways I know to differentiate it are long gone.
    You've got a head start on me but it looks like we're in the same boat for sure!

Six Ball likes this.
  8. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Love to see a new Model A roadster coming together, looks like you have a nice roadster body to start with too!

9. Model A roadster in the basement. Good idea for a hiding spot. My wife would never look there.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

There was a "Famous" Roadster that a friend found in the original builders basement, his wife never knew it was there, and the laundry roon was down there. I'll post a photo when I remember the builders name. :)

Six Ball and volvobrynk like this.
  11. mj40's

mj40's

I had a friend build a T bucket in his basement once. When it came time to test drive it, he had to dismantle it to get it out. :rolleyes:

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That basement looks a lot more comfortable to work in than my garage right now. No way could I get any car parts down in my cellar if I wanted to work down there this winter.

Looks like a fun and really interesting project you have going.

13. That's funny! I would like to see a pic of that.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Do a search for the Sonny Mazza roadster and a few photos of the light blue channeled car will pop up. :)

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Found time to work on the cowl section today. Holes are welded and ground, steering column hole was filled. I poped all the spot welds that hold the side panels on and now it is ready for American Dry Strippers to pick up and blast. I've got new Brookville panels to install. Looks like there is a plate on the bottom that needs to be replaced that has the red primer on it. I'll pop that off too to be sure everything gets blasted to as new condition.

******* Update: That piece in red primer is the Inner Cowl Bottom Patch. Snyders carries them, part number A-014-X, $16.95 each..........I ordered two.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
    Six Ball and oliver westlund like this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Naked Cowl Section

Attached Files:

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Stuck the cowl on the sub rails for the first time, then packed them in the Minivan. American Dry Strippers will pick them up at work today, and deliver clean parts back to me in a week. I just may have a finished cowl by Christmas!

Attached Files:

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

That A bone is really cool,...

I have this in my basement,... But my Wife finds absolutely NO humor in it!,... I told her, it would be cool to finish it down there, get a popcorn machine and a big screen TV,... we could have our own indoor drive in theater!,..... I am pretty sure I came closer to death at that moment, than I had in years ! :D

[​IMG]

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thats a BRAND NEW BASEMENT, bet that was the first thing in it.

Six Ball likes this.
  20. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Thats hilarious.

21. Ed D

Ed D

I can relate to your build mine's in the basement also. I have large double door leading to the garage, also on the basement level. It's warm in the winter and cool in the summer, but I don't weld or paint down there, the wife has veto power. I am really looking forward to your build, I'll stay tuned. My avatar is my basement. Ed

Six Ball likes this.
  22. alchemy

alchemy

I don't have any roadsters in my basement, but I have an RPU in my attic!

Good luck with your build.

23. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

love it!

24. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

As soon as I get rid of something, more stuff comes in...what percentage of a finished car would you say you have now? (Mine is vertical against the wall right now.)

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've got 100% of a 1930 Roadster body, but when I count all the upgrades to the original I found back in 1961 there are parts from a total of 8 different bodies. Doors are the next step in the build. The passenger side is very nice, had it blasted years ago and the cracks in the inner panel are welded, just need to pick the dings out of it. The drivers side was blasted a few monts ago and will need the bottom 6-8 inches removed and replaced with the bottom of a door I just sent to the blaster today. Plan is to rebuild the body from the cowl back, once the doors fit to the cowl I can fit them to the rear quarters. When I finally have a stock restored body I can cut the rear sub rails and install the kickup subrails to mate it to a 1932 chassis. :)

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

No,.. just in that corner,... you should have seen my wife,... first time she seen it. (I didn't tell her it was down there) she was talking,.... she looks up and seen it,.. stops dead in her tracks and dead silence!:eek::eek: ,... we had one of those "meaningful conversations" that night. :( But,.. It's still down there.:D

27. NORSON

NORSON

so, your wife Grace, did she cancel the save thing?:D

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

I should get my parts back from the folks at American Dry Stripping by the end of the week, or the middle of next week, so I have time to organize more of the basement, and start on the door repairs. Picked up a can of Rage Gold to fill in some pits based on the input from HAMB users. Don't know if I mentioned the fact that I first spotted the Roadster body in 1962 on the way home from church one Sunday. Dad slowed down for traffic and I looked into a garage with the door open and there it was. We were in the '61 Ford, the car I would use in a few years to learn to drive and take my drivers license test. Today as I walked out of Levine Automotive in Norwalk with my can of Rage Gold I remembered that years ago it was the site of Rubino's Scrap Yard, final resting place of the 1961 Ford.

Attached Files:

29. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

that looks like the handle for the roll up rear window of a 1931 Model A coupe