Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I'm looking for some leads on interior lighting.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CruZer, Apr 1, 2015.

1. CruZer

CruZer

I've been searching the net unsuccessfully for some lights to light up the interior of my roadster when I get in it at night. All the junk I've found so far in LED or neon or ?????
    I want a couple of old style classy lights to install up under the dash. Any ideas? I already checked out license plate lights and couldn't find anything I like.

2. Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

License plate lights from a diamond plate truck bumper. Look hard & you may find glass lenses.

4. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Check at your local truck stop, in the lighting section. I found clear lens marker lights with incandescent bulbs, that look great. I installed one on each B pillar for interior lights in my 48 Plymouth. They look and work great.

5. When I did my Tupperware torpedo (80 Vette) I used stock interior lights, also used them in the '35. can tuck up out of site on each front 1/4. Check Ecklers .

6. How about a couple parking lights from a 47-48 Ford?
    -small round,stainless ring,incandescent bulb-set in the kick panels or the lower door

7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Hit the local wrecking yards or if you have them Pic a Part.
    Pickups have some nice plain under dash lights.
    KK

8. TheLEDS don't draw much and don't get hot and last forever. JMHO

9. hajisira

hajisira

i like this thread
    thanks all
    [​IMG]

10. I used a pair of these late 70's -80s GM courtesy lights on my current truck project.
    Easy to mount under dash, uses incandescent bulb, and gives good light. Picked them up on Ebay for under $20 for pair. I believe you can find them as repops too.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

11. If you want a new part that looks old, look in a repro parts catalog... for '55-57 Chevys, '60's Mustangs, Model A's, V-8 Fords, Corvairs, etc.
    You'll find lots of options that don't look "street roddish".

12. atomickustom

atomickustom

That is exactly what I was going to suggest! I have those tucked up under the corners of the dash in my 53 Chevy. You cannot see them at all but it throws a nice light when I open my doors at night.
    I painted the inside of each one satin white. They do throw a noticeably better light that way. But I left the outside black so they would stay invisible during the day.

13. reyn

reyn

How about beehives. Come in different colors. When I was a kid, ages ago, we used to call them "sex lights". A nice colored glow under the dash. Try to get the girls in the right mood. Oh yea! The good old days imagesHOYS4HQ9.jpg

14. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

don't forget to check the boating catalog places. There are a boatload ( no pun intended ) of 12 volt lighting for boats

15. the-rodster

the-rodster

Get on ebay and search for "vintage dome light".

Hundreds of choices, any of which look better than something you can buy new.

dome.jpg

16. Although my idea does not have an old look, it is very handy, and if you tuck them up under the dash nobody will see them anyways. Under the hood of early 90's full size chev trucks had a light with a wind up cord. Very handy for interior lighting, and then can be used to stretch out to change a flat tire or etc. (about a 15' cord?)

17. cretin

cretin