Register now to get rid of these ads!

im heading to SAN FRAN for a little fun. What are some of the cool hangouts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bones35, Jan 17, 2006.

1. bones35

bones35

the wife and i are headin to san fran tomarrow for a little get away, just lookin for a heads up on some cool bars and clubs, or places to go. thanks ill be working today so keep this up top for me. cory

2. I live just east of San Fransisco. I would recommend two restaurants which are my favorites:

1. "Cha Cha Cha"-here is some info on my favorite in San Fransisco, this place is SO good:
    CHA CHA CHA (Mission district, San Fransisco)
    (1801 Haight/Cole, Tel. 386-5758 and 2327 Mission/19th, Tel. 648-0504) - Puerto Rican, Mexican, Cuban, Caribbean restaurant. sits on Haight-Ashbury. "Long waits, but Cha Cha Cha is well known and loved for more than just a quirky atmosphere": (about 20-30 skeets for you and the lady to grub, as a plus there's a bar built in to both cha cha cha locations. I would recommend the one on haight street, waits are about 40-45 mins on weekend nights cause it's real popular but worth it. you can go to one of the most bad ass record/music stores you'll ever see just a couple stores down from cha cha cha while you wait for your table to come up, it's called "amoeba records".

2. "Puerto Alegre" - BADASS mexican food, Damn good margaritas by the pitcher, and get serenades from old mexican dudes with guitars while you eat. it is also located in the "Mission District" in San Fransisco, if you go there at night, get there early as the place gets nuts fast. Here is their info:
    546 Valencia 94110, (415)255-8201

3. "Calzone's" - 430 Columbus Ave. (415)397-3600
    Good italian grub. HUGE awesome Calzones, you will be diggin this place.

Since you can get mexican food where you live, I would recommend Cha Cha Cha as you won't find a place like this at home and the atmosphere is cool.
    Take your wife up to Ghirardelli Square where they make Ghirardelli chocolates, it's down by fisherman's wharf. take her at night so you can see the lights...cool. As far as bars go....There are so many cool watering holes in the city it's not even funny. Hard to name just one. I would recommend going this place:
    Rogue Ales Public House
    673 Union Street
    San Francisco, CA 94133
    (415) 362-7880 - home of "Rogue" beer- all kinds of types of beer/ale that they make, good beer for sure- fun place on a busy night. located right in the thick of san fransisco, kind of near downtown. Plus, there are LOTS of bars near this place if you want more noise or gritty bar scene if this one don't suit ya's.
    you can give me a call if you got any questions or whatever- i'll pm you my number-
    Hope this helps

3. Cool place to go is Alcatraz....well worth the trip on the boat, its a 2 in 1 deal...Bay Cruise & prison visit! :D

Brizio's shop is right off Hwy 101 just north of San Francisco Airport, its like the next exit after the airport! Drop in when you land. [size=-1]www.roybriziostreetrods.com/[/size]

There's also the Blackhawk Museum across the bay in Danville if you have the time & a rental car http://206.180.224.36/bhm/

4. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

I second the Blackhawk I went there a few months ago on my vist. Great place and excellent cars. No hot rods when I went but perfect classic stuff.

5. yeah, what they said....alcatraz for sure, blackhawk too.

6. What ever you do don't go to Phinochios.

7. plan9

plan9

San Pedro park in Pacifica somewhat close to linda mar beach only if you are driving... mostly locals hang out here... and its quiet. go hiking in the hills and run across WW2 bunkers. half moon bay is about 15 min south if you continue on hwy 1.

fort funston, off hwy 1 across Lake Merced (actually just a resevoir, not a big lake)... cool place to just walk around. farther north maybe 15 min with stop lights is Sutro Baths/Legion of Honor/Golden Gate Bridge/Presidio... really cool places.

8. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

The garden of eden.... But dont but the champagne!!

9. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

whatever you do, if someone asks to push in your stool at the bar, just say no.................:D:D

10. Don't miss the fresh seafood at Fishermans Wharf,and see Alcatraz and tell the street performers you arent payin for taking a picture of them!:D I sure pissed off a dude that was painted Silver-Aluminum from head ta toe....:D coulda gotten kinda messy!

11. 55olds88

55olds88

wife and I took a harbour cruize out under the bridge and back past Alcatraz last time that was new for me and pretty cool, I have walked, cycled, driven across and now been under too :)
    I'm sure I haven't scratched the surface on my visits, I like San Francisco the drag strip on the north side of the bay is cool too used to be Sears Point I think its changed name.

12. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

when down by the Wharf,watch out for the "Bush Man",if he is still around.

and if the weather is clear,(tee hee),go to the "Top of the Mark" hotel/lounge
    and have a beverage or two.

excellent viewpoint to see the city! go during the day when it's not crowded
    and not overly expensive. also,there is a streetcar stop a half a block down the street.

a good scenic route the wife and I enjoyed was a trip out to "Point Reyes
    National Seashore".

beautiful scenery there and back!
    if you go there ,walk DOWN HILL to the lighthouse.

it is beautiful there as well.

enjoy your trip!

13. Sean

Sean

Yeah, The Top of The Mark is nice.
    You can always go across the street to the Tonga Room as well. Located in the Fairmont, been there since the 40's.

Bar wise, I would also suggest:
    The Bigfoot Lodge
    Whiskey Thieves
    The Bamboo Hut
    Trader Sam's
    Sneaky Tiki
    Club Deluxe
    Red Room
    500 Club
    Martin Macks

14. cant forget thee parkside.

15. What Sean Said about the bars, lots of funky neighborhood joints. The Tonga room is a bit pricey, skip the food but it has to be seen, it is a really cool REAL old Tiki bar with an indoor rainstorm!!! Bundle up and take the cable cars at night to get a really cool look at the city, ride all of em' each way, its fun and dare I say it romantic too. Walk across the bridge (the Golden Gate that is), or drive over and go to the old costal forts on the Marin headlands and you will get a view of SF that is unbeatable. Also visiting Angel Island is cool as you can walk around the whole thing and get a panoramic view of the whole bay (SF & Oakland, bridges, Alcatraz etc.. and its full of historic old buildings). Brandy Ho's is damn tasty Chinese, Fog City Diner near the Embarcadero is good too (yeah its touristy but the food is GOOD). Most of all its just a cool city to walk around. The greenspace along Chrissy field in the old Presidio is a great place to walk......There are a lot of homeless, and dirt but hey its a city afterall. Hope you have a good trip....

16. bones35

bones35

thanks all, just got in not to long ago and got to read your replies, i thank you. i got almost all my work caught up, i need to finish a few things in the morning and we fly out at 2:50Pm. its been along time since the wife and i have got away with just each other on real trip(3 yr old). im lookin forward to it ,been studying the google earth map tryin to get my bearing. gonna go look for the bars listed thanks for the heads up, and thanks to farmer> cory

17. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

LOL he was there last sunday!!!! That was funny as hell, but wouldn't have been if he gets YOU, lol

I pissed off the guy in silver also :p

Attached Files:

18. Chris P

Chris P
    from Tucson

I think Boyd Coddington's shop is near san francisco!!:D NOT!!!!:mad:

19. bones35

bones35

you mean i could see a boydsteer in person! way cool:eek:

so you got to tell me about the bush man, and im sure as hell gonna try and piss off the silver dude.

20. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

There was also another silver guy, but i wasn't able to get a shot of him.

So you want to know about the bush man!! :D well now, that would just take all the fun out of it when you see him yourself:p hee hee all I can say is I hope you don't have to pee when you see him, lol:eek:

here is a shot of the diner

Attached Files:

21. lowride

lowride

One of the best (friendliest) places we found when there was a place called pier 23. It's a blue collar place with pretty good food at a reasonable price and weekend entertainment, with a friendly staff that makes you feel welcome. We found out about it from a local.

22. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Go to the Knockout in Burnell Heights where Mission and Valencia intersect. Cool little bar and good food all around it. -stick

23. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Led Zepplin in Golden Gate Park
    Grace Slick and Jefferson Airplane or the Greatful Dead at the Fillmore
    Leon Russel/Joan Baez/and about 4 or 5 other groups for a day on the green in Oakland
    Carlos Santana (Don't remember the place)
    Bruce Lee and others giving free demonstrations at the Japanese Trade Center.
    All in the same weekend...
    Carol Doda's Place "Pride of the 7th Fleet" :)
    The Playboy Club.
    5000 Restaurants, All different.

Too bad, the late 60's early 70's is gone but not forgotten.

24. oh, yeah, the Fog City Diner.....I forgot about that diner...Bones, that place is pretty damn cool. All shiney stainless and neon...classic.