Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Im getting Married! Project 46 ford begins!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Parking lot was full of cool stuff! I didn't take to many photos, mainly 100 photos of cars I was really into. Didn't get to talk to a few people I wanted to but it's a parking lot full of tippsy car guys it's still gonna be fun
    IMG_8816.JPG
    Always love this Chevy, took this photo to show my friend Austin who stayed home to wrench on his Chevy instead of coming down.

IMG_8837.JPG This coupe was over by @flamedabone but I don't know who's it is. It was pretty fast though on Saturday afternoon! IMG_8840.JPG Had some neat details.

IMG_8844.JPG
    IMG_8845.JPG I think this is @mufflerman coupe. Which as promised was faster than last year. He was hauling ass when I saw him run! Wish I'd got to meet him but there always next year.

IMG_8846.JPG Can't seem to walk past this one with out taking a photo. Regardless of how many I already have on my phone lol IMG_8847.JPG couldn't walk ten feet without seeing a familiar face it was a good time :) IMG_8848.JPG
    Completely forgot his hamb handle but I had really been looking forward to seeing this roadster in real life and it did not disappoint! Absolutely love it. IMG_8851.JPG the 36 ford horn covers as tail light covers were a cool touch

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The sedan rolled down the parking lot and dropped everyone's jaws. Wasn't until we saw the tail lights that we even recognized the car with fenders! I had to of taken 50+ photos of it. Just trying to get one that felt like it is in person. So cool! IMG_8857.JPG IMG_8860.JPG IMG_8862.JPG IMG_8863.JPG
    We just kept making laps around the building as new stuff continued to roll in IMG_8865.JPG IMG_8866.JPG IMG_8867.JPG IMG_8868.JPG including @jho angry coupe

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

IMG_8879.JPG After finding some hotel breakfast munchies I hollared at @porknbeaner to come look at my fan belt.

I absolutely hate opening the hood of the car while on a trip. I monitor the gauges and the noses and unless it really really needs something I'd rather leave it closed till I get it home. But I figured it would be a quick fix and I could motor on the way home a little quicker.

Well someone who was standing with us, I forget who, pointed out that my belt wasn't really wrapping the pulley much so we decided to leave it and fix it when I got home. I'm curious to see how it effects cooling. I know it has to be slipping before I can hear it squeal so I can't help but think the water pump spinning more will cool it off better.

IMG_8881.JPG

That sorted we made it overnight to Ryno's for some pre race bs'ing and dropping the Lincoln off. I can't tell wether dad was more excited to drop it off or to pick it up later!
    IMG_8887.JPG
    His golden goddess caddy did not disappoint! IMG_8894.JPG IMG_8900.JPG IMG_8901.JPG IMG_8903.JPG IMG_8905.JPG IMG_8908.JPG

4. Thanks for the pictures and travelogue. I haven't been on a road trip with my car for a few years, work and family commitments the last two have quashed travel time. ( I do have 42000 miles on car up to this time) . Almost makes me feel a part of your journey.

Tim likes this.
  5. redzula

redzula

Sounds like a ton of fun. Just convinced my wife to join me on a trip to the salt in a couple years looks like I'll have to add this to the list of destinations. Never been much if a drag racing guy but still looks fun as hell.

Tim likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

We drove threw a heavy rain down pour on the way to the track but we made it! Thank goodness for Rain x! IMG_8912.JPG IMG_8913.JPG Wandered around seeing what there was to see and took mostly video but man this intake is eating my brain! I run a hood but damn it's still cool! IMG_8914.JPG IMG_8915.JPG This had a blower with it that sold as we walked up. Saw a handful of neat intakes. IMG_8918.JPG IMG_8923.JPG IMG_8925.JPG IMG_8926.JPG IMG_8937.JPG This 180 cid gm four banger that is pretty similar to the 153 in our model A build was build gnarly enough to run an 11 in a rear engine dragster! IMG_8940.JPG Dad waving his surrender flag. Apparently it was hot? IMG_8941.JPG snapped this on the way out, I see one of these all the time but I've maybe only seen two others ever. Such a cool idea but I'm sure you'd just bake in it.

That being said we cut across on stomach jarring county roads to the interstate and headed home. I had no idea how hot it was until I cracked open the vent windows front and back and when I rolled the rest of the windows up the temp dropped 10-15 degrees!

The wind coming in the lowered windows was so hot that when we made it only vent windows it cooled way off! I bet the people driving by us on the road thought we had ac! Nope, just clever ventilation! My feet were warm from the road but otherwise totally
    Comfy!

IMG_8947.JPG

Made it home safe and sound! Car did puke about five minutes after it was parked but only about a soda cans worth. It was a little warm when we shut it down so it makes since that it would continue to heat up after I shut it off in the heat. Normally if I park it in the cool garage it won't do that.

Post trip the only things I've added to the to do list are add a phone charger to keep the gps alive, some more insulation on the toe boards, a shorter alternator belt set up and...new drivers door glass and adjust the door latch again. No idea if it broke shutting the door or on a big bump on the way down as I don't normally roll the windows up all the way and you can't see the break until it's all the way up. But either way my guy gets to make me yet another one lol.

Oh well. Good trip :)

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Glad you guys dug it. I kept it short on words and used more photos this time as I can get pretty chatty. @redzula it's only 2 1/2 hours from my house and you are about that far from me. Be a good half way point if you decide you want to go it'd be a good way to split the trip up.

I didn't race and to be honest next year I might do the Friday night party, the Saturday morning stuff, get a big lunch and a nap before a short swim and then hit the Saturday night party lol.

Be cool to cruise down with another black sedan.

8. redzula

redzula

Sounds like the beginning of a plan.

Tim likes this.
  9. I think that salt flats and the raven came over to look at the belt with me, but I could be mistaken.

We didn't get much time to talk but I am sure I made up for it talking to everyone else and their cousin. Always lots of good rides and good racing at the Drags but visiting with people who I see once a year is what makes it for me, the racing and the cars is just gravy.

Cool pics my friend we'll have to do this again next year.

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  10. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Sounds like it was a fun trip, congrats!

Tim likes this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

This new cam has made the car entirely different on road trips and I love it! Got some tweaking to do but I feel like I'm getting closer

12. Which cam did you use? Or what page is your engine build on?

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It's a comp cams 268h I believe.

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

And I didn't really have an engine build "page" as I kinda replaced a bit here and there. I can list it all out for you when I get a minute later tonight if you like other wise if there is something specific you'd like to know I can answer that as well

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Been going round and round on a second set of wheels or just different wheels period to change it up.
    IMG_9035.JPG
    Speedways got these 16x4.5 for a super affordable price so I snagged one to finally see what it would look like. I'm digging it so far

IMG_9038.JPG IMG_9039.JPG

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ch ch changes...

Well for the last year or so I've been conflicted. I love how the car is and how it's coming together but it just wasn't hitting the spot for me.

It looks cool, has a certain attitude to it, and with the interior finish would have a great feel to it.

But I couldn't walk by it with out wishing it was a little angrier. A little... less subtle.

My ideas ranged from a louvered hood, to big and little window halibrands in dark magnesium. Maybe a 471 with a single carb?

Some were pretty extreme and compromised the idea of a road trip worthy cruiser. I don't want to feel like I have a compromised road trip car, and I don't want to feel like it's a compromised stupid fast car.

It had to feel right. It had to make me giggle to myself when I walked by it.

Hopefully this makes since to you guys as most non car folk have a hard time grasping it.

Any how, mostnof the things I dig round back to the 60's and as soon as I walked by the car with the chrome wheel on it for the 20th time it clicked.

And so this is the plan of changes to put the car a little more 1958/1962

Swap to the chrome stock style wheels with no caps

Change to a fatter rim and tire in back and narrower rubber up front.

Change out the stamped valve covers off those power pack heads and replace them with cast corvette units with the bent side breathers.

Ditch the ram horn exhaust and single tail pipe and bolt on the white headers and run a drivers side route for dual exhaust

Ditch the club plate in back because it visually cancels out some of the nose down stance of the car.

Might throw in a few little off white pinstripe elements but nothing wild. Maybe a little tommy the Greek on the dash. That sort of thing.

With the finished interior it should be right on and have the more aggressive vibe I want with out feeling compromised or clashed with other elements.

For now the stock wheels get a new coat of black and I might swap some little things around until I can save up and buy a wheel here and there.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Stogy, Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Pictures of course I have pictures IMG_9136.JPG IMG_9137.JPG IMG_9138.JPG IMG_9140.JPG IMG_9146.JPG IMG_9147.JPG IMG_9148.JPG IMG_9152.JPG IMG_9153.JPG IMG_9154.JPG

55Deso, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  18. Like the chrome real well, but I have always wanted a good set of chrome wheels.

Tim likes this.
  19. redzula

redzula

I like the plan I get what you're saying about there just being something. I feel that way with mine too. And like you it HAS to look right.

Lastly how's that baby doing?

Tim likes this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Growing like a weed and it seems that she may be teething. Hard to keep up with her lol

redzula likes this.
  21. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tim,

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about in your post above. I agree with just about every change you described - those are exactly in my wheelhouse as the same sort of look and feel that I like. You can't go wrong with the chrome OEM looking wheels. I have a pair that are wrapped in some Towel City cheater slicks and are going to go under my '41 or '46 coupe.

I can't wait to see how your car changes with this new look.

Thor

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Tim and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

well at least I'm not alone then lol. Gotta pay for a new highchair so the wheels will be one at a time and then I'll try to pull the bandaids off for the rubber.

Save for the vette valve covers I've got everything else on the shelf ready to do it, just need time and energy to line up with each other a couple of times :)

Pretty excited though its got me more fired up about the car than I have been for a while

chryslerfan55, redzula and Thor1 like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Haven’t updated in a while I see!

Well here’s a recap.

Shortly after the drags trip we made an attempt to cruise to a show in September. I had something hit my plastic fan, maybe up off the road? And about 5 miles in a 70 mph the blades came apart and tore into the radiator.

I dumped a few gallons of water in it and realized that it wasn’t holding it at all. So before it got to hot we turned around and hauled ass for home.

Made it a few miles before the car said shut me off you stupid shit.

My buddy and Dad fetched a car and a to short rope that by the time we got home was really really to short and Ina. Tight turn the tow vehicles bumper smashed a fog light and contacted the bottom of the headlight trim ring and pushed the fender in.

Yeah.

We physically pushed the car another three blocks into my garage and got in the daily for the show. I was overheated and pissed but I wasn’t going to let it ruin my day. Fuck it.

I got the radiator fixed and bought the exact same fan that it had previously and made it to the end of my driveway before I found out the new ones are even thinner and it came apart via my radiator

Seriously.

More fixes. A steel fan and some weird spacers/ shims later it’s full of water and runs.

It’s also winter at this point.
    6DF2F562-B060-4443-B1F0-0AF518E454A9.jpeg
    Fast forward to spring.

Cars pissed from not being driven since September. Needs fluids and greased and driven.

Fender needs fixed. I got a real nice bucket and headlight ring from a friend so I finally dug in.

With the headlight and bucket out most of the tension was released and I was able to get the majority of the big dent out. Now I’ve jist got to find time to be loud and convince the other two or three to go away.

Wonder if I have before pictures? It’s all hard to see being a black car and all

Anyhow, I did manage to get a whole set of the chrome wheels. 16x4.5 up front and 16x8 I believe in the back.

Haven’t tried to fit the backs on yet but I spent a lot of time measuring and they “should” clear.

So anyhow that’s where I’m at

Fixing a fender, then I’m going to fix the bumper that’s always bugged me, sort out a list of small things and add electric windshield wipers. Drive it. That sort of thing.

Maybe get some rubber for the new tires and make progress on the interior? We’ll see I guess :)

55Deso, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Some photos because the last post was so wordy ;) DEED0016-0CBE-452A-B39B-2937CAD07367.jpeg well fuck man 074FF683-85ED-4DEA-B071-8D1E8F6C2415.jpeg are really going to.... 4A8067A0-C67D-4626-8217-F64E382B3F7C.jpeg oh that’s where all the antifreeze went ED5D2935-D72D-4841-9CAC-415FAED70A54.jpeg C8EB8F49-EE93-44F4-A455-0DE28B69910A.jpeg 1EC3B189-A10A-474A-9A6C-7096BD92E109.jpeg best shot I had of the big dent. You can see the glare on the edges 2511AC15-07B0-4522-AC39-ABB516132AF4.jpeg second destroyed fan C130E14B-0204-4637-B7F7-16741DF5495E.jpeg shiney stuff ;)

55Deso, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

It always something! Damn old cars!

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It really is lol.

I don’t really mind most the time. Just a learning curve on how to get things done with a baby.

So far it’s onky been the very loud things that are hard to find an appropriate time for.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like those wheels. They look great.

Tim likes this.
  28. redzula

redzula

Glad you're back at it. Wheels look real good will be even better mounted.
    Didn't remember you painted your firewall. Been tossing around doing mine.

Where's the fun in the trip if there's no story to go with it.

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup it’s been really handy when wrenching. Even better in low light

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. I've had one of those nylon fans on my 38 for 10 years. Guess I'm living on borrowed time, better change it out.