Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Im getting Married! Project 46 ford begins!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Good laurd how did I ever miss this thread? you were a skinny germ back then the good doctor has sure cured that. ;)
    I suppose I should congratulate you on many levels here, the '46 is sweet (well sweet by bean standards), you survived the wedding, and there aint enough band width to describe the missus, my standard purdy just doesn't even come close (I guess it is a start). You done good my ink slinging friend ( and I don't hand out may of those and really mean it). ;)

Now let me puff up a little bit, Edye was saying the other day that I could not have found us better friends. She doesn't hand out many of those at all and always means it.

Tim likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks man, if you go to peep mirrors id suggest getting the extensions to push them further out from the body.

These cars swell a lot in the back and with out them you just kinda see the b pillar.

Also take the set screws that come with them to the hardware store and buy ones half that length. I fought a none latching door for a long ass time before I realized that that's what was hitting

And Finaly when you put those back seat belts in pay attention to where your side bolts land in the wheel wells. I ended up raising mine and using a shorter bolt so I wasn't risking the tire hitting it and full suspension compression.

~ looks like I didn't post a photo of the rear belts I'll take a photo tonight if I remember

3. redzula

redzula

Thanks for the heads up. Stuff only experience can teach you.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ha! @porknbeaner I don't know how you missed this monster of a thread, but I guess I havnt been updating it all that much.

Thanks for the compliments and for all the help. Cars wouldn't get done with out good friends :)

*and would you believe I'm actually down twenty pounds since we got married! Bigger beard though so it probably balanced out haha

5. They would get done sooner if your friends had their head in the game. LOL :oops: ;)

Tim likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

image.jpeg Alright well time for a quick update I guess.

I painted the car two years ago now and after all the hoopla I just was out of fucks to give and didn't even want to think of wet sanding or any such things.

Fast forward and I'm thinking " you know poverty flats is having his pie festival car show Memorial Day weekend maybe I'll wet sand that run down on the fender" figuring it's one of the worse panels on the car and if I make it worse it's not a huge deal.
    image.jpeg
    Well here goes :S I've never wet sanded, buffed, or polished paint before. Honestly I watched some YouTube videos and asked a bunch of questions about three years ago and decided I'd just go for it.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and redzula like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

^ pictures got flip flopped you get the jist.

Down side is it looked better than the rest of the car after I buffed the fender....
    image.jpeg

So I invited a friend over and a zillion hours later we had the car sanded with zillion grit paper as far as we dared. Even though there's a lot of paint on the car I was still afraid of going threw it. Keep in mind I've little to no clue what I'm doing.

image.jpeg

Buffing out pretty good!

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

image.jpeg
    Polished but not waxed yet
    Every time I did something it didn't necessarily get shinier as much as it felt a bit darker black.

image.jpeg The car has always photographed well but the deck kid was always just terrible. This is the before shot
    image.jpeg
    And that's an after shot!
    image.jpeg

Waxed!

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and Paul B like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright so the only one who has seen the car a bunch in person and hadn't seen the car at all in the three weeks this took me to do was @porknbeaner so I polished some of the trim and went to see him
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

I took about a zillion photos but you get the jist. In different light I can see a ton of spots I didn't do a great job on, they are all totally workable still so maybe next spring I'll give it another round. For now I'll wax it again and move onto the next big item on the list!

The interior has been a long time coming, I'm going to see how far it gets before @povertyflats show :)

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Some photos from when it first hit the road, that second shot is after some hand buffing and two coats of wax. I would be lying if I said I didn't take 10 shots trying to get one that didn't make it look as bad as. It was

11. Well I saw it in the buff (pun intended :D) fellas and it is looking miles ahead of the game at this point. less then perfect but genuinely like something that one of us would have driven and been proud of back when these cars were not a repaint yet.

12. LBCD

LBCD

Just read through the whole thread...great job!

Sent from my QMV7A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim likes this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks man :) it's a continuing work in progress as they tend to be but I feel like I'm getting closer to driving more than messing with it. I don't tend to update unless it's a bigger change but I tend to be tinkering with it most the time.

Hopefully I'll have another good update in a few weeks :)

14. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking good.I`m guessing that at this point in time,you`re just about out of elbow grease.:rolleyes:
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Tim likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

image.jpeg Car shows exactly three years apart today. A good 4 inches lower, much straighter and now shiny :) feels good to come across these old photos some times

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Looks great! How was the turnout yesterday?

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Didn't even see your post till now Mike, turn out was massive. I was there a half hour before "start" time and was the first car parked in the back 40 in the grass behind both shops. Not on the side, the back! Like open the gate and go behind it. Huge turn out :)

Random notes while I'm here I'm just now started on installing the head liner and then into our scratch made upholster. I'm hoping to have it and maybe a bigger cam in it by the HAMB drags but we'll see.

Ill post a link to my head liner instillation post and some photos when I get that far :)

19. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I found my way here from seeing your post regarding the KC Cars and Coffee. I tabbed through most of your build thread here. It's was cool seeing pics of familiar places. I recognized the place you picked up your car across for the Gale's HD and Jimmy Flowers spray booth rental. I'm building a 49 AD and hope to make it to one of the KC Cars and Coffee meet before the end of the year. Great looking ride and nice work! Cheers, HUSSEY.

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks man! We hold a cruise night every fourth Friday at our shop in Lee's summit of you ever feel like cruising over and saying hi :)

805 se 3rd st in Lee's summit

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well the interior is about half done at this point, we had intended to have it done a couple weeks ago but a new project has kinda drain some energy so it's been waiting.

But I'm alright with it, this seems like a very worthy project to have the 46 take a back seat to :)
    IMG_3510.jpg

Rustedjunk77, Stogy, DRUGASM and 6 others like this.
  23. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Congrats!!!

Tim likes this.
  24. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Fantastic news! Congratulations!

Tim likes this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks guys, we're pretty excited :)

26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

That is the best news! Congratulations!

27. Wow! A brand new Tim Jr. Or is it a Sarah, Jr? You'll have to take the new kid up to grandpa's to show it off and you guys can stop by here to say Hi. Mrs Rocky LOVES little babies...Congrats on the new #17.

Tim likes this.
  28. Cool dude, way cool. You guys know who the dad is yet? ;) just kidding

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks guys :) we decided that we don't want to find out if it's a boy or girl, we'll wait to be surprised.

I told a friend that and he replied with "well, yeah I guess it doesn't matter as long as they are raised a hot rodder" haha, good reply

CornfieldPerformance and redzula like this.
  30. You tricked her didn't ya. I told her that holdin' hands would get her into trouble.:D