Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Im getting Married! Project 46 ford begins!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

awesome good luck :)

2. I ain't forgot about you buddy! We took the girls down to FL for Disney and turkey at g-ma's. Will call my guy tomorrow and let you know promptly.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

just a little update, I went and had the exhaust done professionally this morning after being both satisfied that i was going to leave the front end how it is now that the front spring has settled some, and tired of huge exhaust leaks haha.

I kept the ramhorn/ center dump manifolds and had them build me a Y pipe to a 36 inch long smithy tucked up in the stock location and the tail pipe out the back. After the 9 billion wiggles and twists I used trying to make this idea work how they did it makes me feel like a moron haha.

still a bunch of bends and twists but much better in every possible way then how i had done it previously. Ill post a couple photos when i get a chance for those of you that had asked about how i ran the exhaust using those manifolds.

timm

oh yeah, i had sioux muffler in sioux city iowa do it :)

5. You didn't put duals on it?

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Nope, really the only thing that kept from that was leaving the brakes under the floor. With the mc, pedal, prop valve, res valves and associated hard lines all between the frame rail and the front leg of the X member it just wasn't going to happen.

Well, edit, it'd happen like I had it previously which was under not up in the frame. Which is how it go ripped off a couple times and how I lost an exhaust tip courtesy of an expansion joint.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Had I mounted the brakes on the firewall or planned for duals so that room was open I think you could still use the center dump manifold. It just needs a very quick turn away from the steering box ASAP.

They did a stock one with the flathead the day before and ran duals and said it was ridiculously tight but doable

8. OMA_Turk

OMA_Turk
    from Omaha, NE

was wondering about that, thanks good to know ahead of time

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Now make a video of it running so we can hear it! I like the sound of a long glasspack, as you know from following my Nomad around here!

10. mrengels

mrengels

Congrats to both of you, I have a year (June 13 2014) to get my 34 ford done before our wedding so I feel for you.

11. Cougar98

Cougar98
    from Ankeny, IA

Great read here. I to had the idea to get my 47 coupe done before my wedding (June 7, 2014) Unfortunately I am deployed to Honduras and wont get home till November... I guess I have a years work to do in 6 months. Definitely keeping an eye on this one! Great build and Congrats!
    *Subscribed!!!*

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

our new camera takes excellent video with sound that feels accurate to me so ill take a video when i get a chance, its pretty quite at idle but on the road it got louder. though i was driving it with no seat and no interior so its pretty easy for it to get loud inside haha.

here are a few photos i just took of the exhaust. its kind of hard to get a good photo but these are the ones i thought were the 'best' it clears the steering box by quite a bit and runs parallel to the tie rod over to the passenger side

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/IMG_1093_zpsac91a721.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

passenger side

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/IMG_1102_zps434ea14f.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

drivers side

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/IMG_1104_zps03629851.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

from the back.

I need to move my transmission cooler lines out of the way and zip tie them as the exhaust runs right where i had them previously and i think my battery cable to the trunk may be needing some adjusting as well.

any idea what kind of space clearance i should be aiming for with that? the battery cable isn't near the exhaust until the tail end of the muffler just forward of the rear axle

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/wendys_zps2aa33832.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

here is a random photo of the first cruise night i took it to, it hailed on the way there and snowed on the way back! I was the only one to show up in something old though there were probably 20-40 people inside that came to bs anyways.

should have some visual updates and maybe that video mid next week :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  13. marman1950

marman1950

Hey Tim. It's looking good. I have a 46 as well. What did you pull your rear end out of???

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. marman1950

marman1950

Oh yeah and most importantly congrats!!!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. The car is great man , digging your wife's Vows too, Reminded me of my wife's vows ... " to be at the other end with a wrench when you can't reach" :)

.Congrats to you both :D

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

hah thats a good one :)

the rear axle is a 9 inch out of a 74 ford bronco. 66-77 would be the same width id assume. its a touch narrow with the stock rims and as fat of tire as i feel safe sticking on there but with a 7 inch wide rim you'd fill up the wheel well a little better. I've been thinking of having my centers put in a wider hoop down the road...way down the road.

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo1_zps3a7aeab3.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

random updates, i joined instagram under the name thisistimm clever right? if you want to see random car and food stuff i guess

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo3_zpsae11d1fa.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

the front spring has continued to settle over the winter, not as low as i expected but with my mountain sized speed bumps in the parking lot its ok with me

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo2_zps3d3eeb1c.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

gives you a rough idea with 27 inch tall tires

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo4_zps152da660.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

picked up some 40 ford caps to pop on, and boy did they! the wheel shown is actually an older lincoln wheel so it has the tangs on it instead of the numbs and that sucker POPPED loud when it went on. hope i dont need it off anytime soon holy cow.

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo5_zps6aede653.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

picked up some mexican blankets while we were in cozumel this winter and after 90 hours of messing with hog rings got them on

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo1_zps5b83c28e.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

driving it as much as i possibly can, seen here at the post office.

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo2_zps74cccce4.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

i spent a couple days over the last few months trying to figure out a tail light that just wouldn't work. After what felt like the millionth time taking it apart the little plastic disc that holds the leads together and in the socket fell down in a plethora of pieces and I had finally figured it out. It must have shattered when i blew the tire and just held itself enough together to not fall apart till just then.

It didnt seem to be anything i could find on a shelf so i sucked it up and bought a new assembly from speedway ~which wasnt quite as nice as the one i was replacing but oh well~ and for good taste added an extra ground wire from the housing to the frame rail. works now!

oh, and i dont know if i mentioned it before but i also wired in the rear license plate light after replacing the crumbling old gaskets with rubber o rings, fancy right?

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo3_zpsbace0d43.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I got the front seat covered and put in some 3 point seat belts with chrome square latches from juliano's. pretty easy to install but im not sure that i really like how the shoulder mounting point works and will probably have some one weld it on for me a little later on.

and yes, my ridiculously good looking wife is wearing a hotrod hillclimb shirt your going right? ;) should be a blast!

<a href="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/timm95/media/photo4_zps7e9de04b.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I then proceeded to run out of gas on the interstate on my way to work making it the first, well if you count the tire the second, time its been on the side of the road. though i limped it back into town with the tire and this time i had to walk a few miles to a gas station and back before he would fire back up and get me to work an hour late lol

which brings me to this weeks project of finally getting those gauges wired in. They look nice but I suppose had a I plugged in the brand new working gas gauge i could have saved myself some walking, hows it go? its more fun to drive it then work on it? haha

gonna keep picking away at it and driving it as much as i can so that ill feel more confident when we pack everything up and take our convoy south to Kansas City in July!

keep ya posted

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  18. Tim,
    First, congrats on finding a girl that's willing to put up with a car guy.
    Second, do you know what kind of speedo you have in there? Mine is stock, and needs attention. But, I have the rings to put smaller speedos in the hole, so I'm looking at all my options. I like the blankets! Mike

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I looked for the rings to instal a smaller gauge for months I ended up making something to get the job done for now lol.

The gauges are omega kustom instruments 5" electric speedometer and 4 n 1 gauge.
    They are made in America and I bought them from speedway. Only complaint is that they are not 5 inches!

The hole in the dash is 5 inches and the gauge from bezel edge to bezel edge is at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch smaller then that. But for the price I'll deal with it I think they were a hair under $300 for the pair and advertised as being for a ford or chevy 50's pickup.

I'll let you know how they work when they work haha

20. I'm using one of the speedo appps on my I phone for now. I'm trying to figure out how to attach the phone to the dash so I don't have to look down.

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

get a suction cup mount like they use to mount gps's to the windshield? i bet itd stick to a metal dash as well, or a magnet on the base could work as well?

*on second thought just go ahead and tape it over your column mounted tach and your good to go! ;)

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Finally got my dash wired, the gauges were mounted but not wired as it was getting close to our wedding dead line. So after running out of fuel last week roadside I started picking away at it this week.

The 4 n 1 is good to go but the speedo hit a wall. The speedo is electric and uses two plugs for a total of TEN freaking wires for one gauge. Yikes so this is why people use there iPhone instead!

Anyhow got all but 3 taken care of, there are three that run to a Hall effect generator that screws into the stock cable location the problem I ran into is that the x member leg is to close to fit it in with out trimming. And the mc/brakes are to close to easily nibble enough room to clear.

Yet another item on the list of reason hanging pedals and a manual trans would have been a good idea lol

23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It used to be easy to get 90 degree adapters or a short cable and coupler to connect it. Not as many speedometer shops around but you might try the company that makes the speedometer.

Most GPS units also have the speed included and come in handy while traveling if you don't want to tie up your phone.

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I hadn't considered a quick 90 adapter that's something I will be looking into for sure!

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

a quick run down of updates if you want to call them that, I finally got the sway bar dog bones taken off and turned around to hang everything in the correct position so that i could bolt the shocks back to the frame rails.

I'll be honest and say with out the shocks I didn't think it was all that bad and figured it wouldn't be noticeable putting them on but those 65 ish year shocks did amazing! We took the car out for a good 100+ miles highway cruise and its like driving my late model Nissan ride wise. I'm very happy!

I also took time while it was apart and had a the front wheels/tires taken apart and totally re mounted and balanced, that also made a large improvement. There are some imperfections i the wheels them selves so he got it as close as he could and so far all ive noticed is a slight vibration from say 61-63 mph and then it goes away.

And honestly that vibration is almost entirely noise not very much is felt.

The idea behind the highway trip was to get ready for our drive to Kansas City on July first as we move down to start the next chapter in our lives, I wanted to get more highway miles to make sure at speed I would be fine as most of my driving lately has been around town. Armed with an iphone app for a speedo we had nearly no issues.

The only real issue I had was before leaving I went to top off the trans fluid as its seeping some where, I had a feeling it was my cheesy chrome dipstick tube. Well I pulled the dipstick and along with it the tube! yikes! with no time to spare as we had a wedding to be at I shoved it back in and hit the road putting a little in here and there when we stopped places.

It seemed to leak mainly when parked...and when i took a dirt road detour over some nasty washboards, it didnt like that at all :S

Anyhow I slapped some RTV on it in hopes of it slowing it down enough to not worry about it on the drive south and when we get settled into the new house/garage I think I'll hunt down a stock dipstick for a th350 and pray that this one will actually seal. If you've read the whole thread you'll remember my hassle with this thing since the start.

Outside of that my newly wired gauges are telling me i haven't got a whole hell of alot of oil pressure. The sender is installed near the back of the intake manifold and it doesn't seem to consume a whole lot of oil, it maybe gives me a puff of smoke out the tail pipe when i start it but after that nothing. But with a fresh oil change of a 10w40 i get like 50 pounds right when i start it up and its cold but as soon as it warms up its barely anything.

Granted the gauge only notes 0-50-100-150 or something like that, so its possible that the lower pressures are hard to note with such a huge sweep of range in such a small space but it still feels low. This motor obviously has some miles on it but it doesn't seem to be making any funny racket.

Another thing to note is that with 3:00 rear gears im barely around 2 grand running 55 mph, I've read that revs and oil pressures relate to each other so i thought id note it.

Other then running a touch on the warm side~yes the radiator, fan, thermostat and hoses are all new~ it seems to be running just fine.

anyhow thought id throw that out there.

I guess thats about it, think i mentioned getting the seat belts in and finding some better bumpers in kansas... oh! I bought some straight bumper brackets off a hamber in MS from a 46 he is parting out and have a few leads on front gravel pans that dont look like cooked bacon!

Hoping over the winter to get the bumpers/mounts/gravel pans/ fender/grill straightened out and mess with the door/trunk lid/ hood alignments :)

26. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I can't wait til I'm on the troubleshooting stage of my projects!
    TP

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

haha, and I can't wait till I'm moved into this new garage with enough for a stool!

It sounds silly but every time I don't have a spot to sit because there is no room I think of your "stool time" posts haha

28. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Couldn't have said it better!!! Love your car!

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah on a scale of 1-10 she's prolly just shy of a 40 haha :)

Just brought home a new to be front gravel pan/shield. It's super nice and has holes where some fog lights must have been mounted.

I was thinking about where to mount some as I like driving regardless of the weather I guess it's be decided for me now Haha.

It's off a 47, any idea if there's any differences between the 46 and 47 on this part? I know the rear pan in 46 is a single piece compared to 47/8 which is a 3 piece.

Looking forward to beating dents out and swapping some stuff out this winter :)

Posted using My Dick Tracey watch and the full custom HAMB app

30. n847

n847

Sounds like you're getting the bugs all worked out! I had to go with one of those cheapo (gasp) aluminum dip sticks for my Plymouth because no matter what dip stick I tried it leaked, and just didn't clear the firewall properly. I got one off e-bay looks like a Lokar knock off but it seems to be working pretty well. Just a thought! Any how keep up the good work, youve got a cool car going there!