Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm back with more primer questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, May 19, 2012.

1. usmile4

usmile4

I was having the problems with getting the primer to lay on right in my last thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696849

The problem was a combination of too fast of a thinner and my regulator not working right so I had too high of a psi. But I got that fixed and have some good coats applied, blocked and a final coat laid on. :)

I'm using Evercoat 2274 Dura Build primer an acrylic lacquer high build primer. The car has a gritty feel to it and the guy who will be painting said I should wet sand the whole car smooth. Now I've read conflicting threads that say yes and no to wet sanding primer as it will absorb the moisture and give problems later on. He says he will be shooting a sealer, then color, then clear.

So since you guys helped me with my other problem, I thought I would ask what you recommend. Thanks for the help again.

2. Tin Can

Tin Can

I know the roughness you are talking about. Some of the small parts i did came out that way because the gun wasnt spraying out real geat and I stink at getting it tuned in just right. At the shop we wetsand the primer with 400 or 320 grit. I would recomend letting the primer stay for a bit before blocking it to let the primer shrink a little too.

3. I wouldnt wet sand lacquer primer. And id let it set quite a while before final sanding, shrinkage will get you.

Dry sand it with 400 and a light hand or nub it with a red pad.