Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ignition Wiring Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Ok so here is the deal I am replacing the GM column that I had origianlly planned for my truck with a sweet unit from Limeworks but now I have to work out the wiring. I have a 4 position ignition switch and need some advice confirmation on how I go about wiring it from the GM wiring harness.

The GM ignition switch has the two plugs White with Brown, Red, Pink and Purple wires and the Black plug with Red and Orange wires.

I know that the Brown and Orange wires are accessory and the 2 Red wires are Battery Power. Can I tie the Brown and Orange together to the Acc pole of the new switch and tie the two Reds together to the Battery terminal of the new switch?

I assume the Pink (ignition coil on GM harness)wire goes to the IG pole on the new switch.

Finally I am running a Chevy 235 with a floor mount starter on it so does that mean I can eliminate the Purple wire from the GM harness without any problems?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Btt for the morning crowd.

3. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

The purple wire is for your starter solenoid.

4. The problem is with the foot operated starter there is no starter solenoid so....

5. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Well then you could get rid of that wire. But every thing else sounds good. There sould also be a ground wire too.

6. Thanks. I do think there is a small black wire coming off the Black plug where would I ground it to? The dash?

7. Anyone else with information about the ground wire? Is it (as I suspect) the black wire on the black plug and where would be the best place to ground it?