Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ignition Guru's Please Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailheadroadster, Jul 31, 2007.

1. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

The 3 Stromberg 97's on my 54 Buick 322 needed to be adjusted and I needed to learn how to do it so I called up a good friend that tuned them for me about 7 years ago (older guy with lots 'o knowledge) to see if he could teach me some tuning skills. I was never able to see him do it the first time as he did it for me when I was at work. I'll admit too, that I don't think I know too much more now about tuning them but that's another post.

He came over last Saturday and we did what we could. During the carb lesson, we also cleaned and set the points at .016 and he asked what I was using for igniton. UMMM... dunno... some Mallory coil that was given to me about 9-10 years ago. Be it that money ain't growin on any trees in my yard (but I'm better off now than when I originally built it) I hooked it up, it worked and it hasn't left the car since. He starts telling me about an MSD 6A that I should look into cuz the engine will idle and perform better yada, yada.

I did several searchs on here with no luck. So, I was wondering if the guys / gals out there wit dem dar smahts (read that with an Italian accent) could type-itty type some info down in hopes it would soak in and magically my roadster would suddenly be running better than it ever has. I listed some of the specifics below. Also, if there are any other ideas out there, PLEASE feel free to throw em on this thread as I am sure there will be several different combinations that have worked great over the years. Not to confuse anyone, but she seems to be running pretty good but I am curious about making it better.

Thanks, in advance, for all yer help and the time you put into your replies.

Regards, Dave

1954 Buick 322, three 97's, Offy intake, open "lakes style" headers, Autolite plugs gapped to .032, points set at .016, cap & rotor cleaned and looked good, Taylor wires, Mallory coil (kinda square to rectangluar lookin)

2. squirrel

squirrel

sounds like you probably just need to learn to live with it? Your friend is a good guy, but probably doesn't quite understand the concept of a traditional car, which really has no need for the modern magic of an MSD ignition box.

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The MSD puts out a lot of voltage and will improve performance and mileage but I would only recommend it if you get the entire system. This means the box, blaster coil, MSD distributor and MSD specific plug wires. Using any of your old system will cause a crossfire problem. I had one on my Corvette. If I wanted to screw up everyone's T.V. reception, I fired her up. It was really funny.

Now, if you still want one, they are easy to install because everything is plug and play. The control box puts out a lot of heat so some people mount them inside the passenger compartment or on the fender, away from engine heat.

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Dave....DO NOT put an MSD "box" on your car man....ugly.....even if ya hide it, it ain't right...hahaha!!
    What kind of dizzy ya runnin'? Maybe find a Roto-Faze or dual point.....

5. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Thanks guys!!!!! Alrighty then. LOL See, I knew you guys would steer me in the right direction. The only reason I even considered it was because I could hide it under the cowl and the thought of a better running engine for a little bit of cash seemed awfully tempting. (the place I work at is WD with MSD so it' would've been obtained at cost)

What about Pertronix stuff?? Better than points? Worse? Don't bother or gotta get it? I'm running the stock Buick diz now.

Josh... What's up with that intake, man? The pic of yer truck is still showing some single carb contraption! You gotta git wit the times boy! Dontcha know four is better than one? You still tryin to figure out how to run four Predator carbs on that thing aren't ya? LOL

6. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hahaha! Predators! Yeah man.........
    Actually I've got 3 97's, I've rebuilt 2 or 'em, have all the linkage now and a fuel log......s l o w l y getting the intake ready.....It looks good on my BENCH!:D

Oh, ign,,,,alot of guys use the Pertronics stuff with good results, and cheaper than a new dizzy....I just think if ya got a good working points setup, why change it??? But then again, this is coming from a guy with a four barrel and a Unilite!:eek: hahahaha!!!

7. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Not true. I have used stock recurved dizzy's with a 6 and 7AL box. Had no problems what so ever. I would recommend using an MSD coil though.

I have entertained the idea of putting electronic ignition on my nailhead, but I don't want to spend the money on it. I am happy with my points system.

Crane does not sell a kit for Buicks, and the Chevrolet kit will not fit (tried it). Pertronix does make a kit for the 322. I have heard good an bad about both of them. Have a look over at v8buick.com. Lots of discussion about both kits.