Register now to get rid of these ads!

IFS on 51 F1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SquashThatFly, Apr 12, 2009.

1. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

I did a search but came up empty on what i was looking for.

Im starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel in my shop build. So I'm able to focus more on collecting parts for my '51 F1. I haven't decided on motor choice yet. If i keep the tired Flathead or go with a Y-Block, im going with a Mustang II. Its cleaner, but the cost is pushing that out the door. Im using airbags, but am unsure if ill need drop spindles. The running boards hang down far in relation to the suspension and frame center lines.

Should i decide to just throw in a SBC or preferably Olds Rocket Id be interested in the GM sub-frame due to the geometry and availability of parts, as well as the initial low cost.

My question is what year Nova/Camaro/Firebird etc., clips are closest to the overall track with of the F1? How about front/rear steer? Id prefer a clip thats the same or less in width, as in my case clearance is an issue.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. 8flat

8flat

I know a lot of people have done it successfully, but it seems so crude to graft on a completely different subframe. Splicing the frame, trying to match up frame rails of different shape, dimensions, and width....trying to make the core support and fender brackets look good, etc. Just my 2cents....