Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods If you were going to build a car to run in the South East Gasser Association, what would you build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I could never compete anyway. I might be able to make 2 races per year.

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  2. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

loudbang, Thor1 and Roothawg like this.
  3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

If I was smart It would have been a glass 32 5w , but for sentimental reasons I started on a 57 Chevy , I think SEGA is plumb full with tri-5s I’m sure Quain would rather see some different styles of cars for the fans

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  4. Opel Kadett Strolch
    strolch08.jpg

Attached Files:

catdad49, 31hotrodguy and AHotRod like this.
  5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Sure..

Attached Files:

Jibs, blowby, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An Austin A40. You don't see as many Austins as you do Willys, Anglias and Tri-Five Chevys. Plus (hint hint) I happen to have an extra Austin 4-door body if any one wants to build one!

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Bring it down I will build it. You buy the parts I will supply the labor. I will even let you drive.
    You just have to pay my traveling expenses and I will show up at all of the races.
    If you don't show up I will drive.o_O

catdad49, Tman, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

31hotrodguy and Thor1 like this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

As much as I like 33 Willys coupes they might be o.k. in the lower classes.
    I would like to see one with a stack injected iron headed small block to take advantage of the weight breaks.

10. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Very interesting, I just happened upon this thread. Thanks for starting it Roothawg, it has gave me a chance to see what fans and racers want to see. I'm big on surveys with the fans and do them all the time at the events.
    A few on here say they would build a car to win where others say they would build to have fun. SEGA has the best of both worlds. My contract with the race tracks force a free test and tune Friday night for every legal SEGA car to play / test and just have fun. Some of the more serious teams use it for serious testing to prepare for race day (Saturday). Other teams just use it for a fun day to make passes or to race their buddy for bragging rights. Of course spectators are welcome but since the fans know there will not be any serious racing the bleachers are usually not full.
    Saturday is a different story and is set up to show the fans a serious race and when the weather is nice the track will always be packed with fans. But even the guys that are just there for fun still get to show off in front of the packed bleachers making 2 qualifying runs and first round of eliminations and might make a few rounds.
    As for the money it cost to be competitive, as always that depends on what skills you have. Someone with no car skills would have to spend a London ton to win an SEGA race because he would have to hire everything done. Where someone who has average car skills (your standard hot rodder) would get by a lot better and a lot cheaper. The guys that can do everything their self can be competitive for very little money.
    As most know someone that struggles to pay their rent don't need to be racing in the first place. The SEGA was set up for the average working guy with super good car skills that wants to win or the average working guy with medium car skills that is not looking to win but wants to have fun and help preserve racing history.
    My best example is the 2016 and 2019 SEGA B/Gas World Champion Tim Bailey. Tim is just a simple manager at a local plumbing supply store, an average working man with great car skills.
    Also thanks for all the kind words and support from everybody here I read every comment
    ~Quain Stott~

11. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Pretty cool thread, that i just randomly stumbled across. I built the model A sedan that someone pictured a couple of pages ago. Ill be the first to admit that i dont like the model A sedans much at all (although mine is growing on me), but i built the car that i perceived to be the best platform and in my budget trying to race A/gas. I knew that the lighter i could get the car, the less hp it would take, and the longer the wheelbase the better it would drive and respond. The model A is approximately the same size car as a 33 willys with a little longer wheelbase based on the factory axle placement in both, but i picked up the rough model a shell for $800 delivered instead of 30k for a willys. The car ended up light enough to run an engine in the 380-410" range, and we chose 407" so that i could hang the extra weight on the car where needed. If i was building a car for looks, it wouldnt have been a model A sedan for sure, but i went through the rules and picked what i thought gave me the most bang for the buck. The car weighs 2408 with me in it (im 220lb) and 140lb of ballast hung on the car.

12. jaxx

jaxx

58 / 59 dodge wagon - 440 fuel injected - same power train I had in a 37 ford coupe back in the early 70's - but the car was to light in the back end - fought with getting a balance all one summer - it would lift the front end or go up in smoke - always thought if we try that in a wagon - if might hook like crazy - don't know but always wanted to try it - jaxx

13. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

I feel sorry for INVISIBLEKID-with that attitude you will never ENJOY racing,it's just win at any cost-and someone can always out spend you.I am just finishing my 50th year of racing [mostly circle track]and I'm enjoying it way more than when I took it seriously.I race just as hard and winning is still the goal,but having fun with friends is most important.

14. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

P.S. to keep it fun,I have the only Mopar powered car in a circuit of more than 30 non-wing sprint cars

15. 6sally6

6sally6

55/56 Ford (or course!) Probably 351-ish Clevor........learn how to tune the tall stack Hilborn injectors ...gear the snot out of it...and put it (and me) on the strictest diet.
    6sally6

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am not a competitive guy. I just don't care. I like to watch guys that are, but I am wired different. Love vintage , heads up drag racing, but I just like to go out and thrash on a purpose built car to get it out of my system, every once in a while. Plus, it would be a 12 hour drive to get to the closest of the races. It doesn't stop me from dreaming though.

@Quain Stott , if you were to build up one of your classes, which one needs more cars? I know some have way more than enough.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Dan Hay, Dog_Patch, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  17. Crosley powered slingshot dragster like this one.
    [​IMG]

KiWinUS, 31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Cool, but the SEGA is only gassers.

19. R.I.F. Reading is fundamental.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

I like the 37-39 Chevy coupes also. Natural for a gasser.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  21. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Nunzi was the Pontiac expert period! Back in the early seventies there was a 64 Tempest that used to race here with Nunzi 462 with Ram Air V heads, You could stick a pop can in those ports LOL.. That Tempest was untouchable, guys with blowers couldn't touch that car...
    I always used Nunzis camshafts, his version of the 068 was such a nice street cam.. My 421 with his 2041 cam idled with 18" of vacuum too!

Here's Nunzis four banger..

22. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! That is impressive!

Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  23. 34Phil

34Phil

24. Tri-5 or a 37-38 Chevy coupe. I built one recently in 1/25 scale. IMG_0262.jpg IMG_0260.jpg IMG_0261.jpg

25. Dan Hay and loudbang like this.
  26. catdad49

catdad49

And the '37 version. IMG_2535.jpg IMG_2536.jpg

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A little love for our old HAMB pal Don Nowell RIP.
    I talked often with Don on the phone, it sounded like he not only enjoyed a fast car but they had to look good too.
    This car was beautiful, I think it is a great example for a SEGA car.

upload_2020-9-23_14-45-14.png

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yep, I talked with him a lot. Just picking his brain about the good ole days. Nice guy.

loudbang, Thor1 and Tman like this.
  29. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

53 Studebaker , one of my all time favorite body designs !