Register now to get rid of these ads!

Identify this driving skill game

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixinarow, Jul 12, 2010.

1. sixinarow

sixinarow
    from Fargo, ND

Came across this photo some where on here and was wondering what this is called and how it works. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

who cares about the game that car is AWESOME!:eek:

3. BISHOP

BISHOP

The game is called a Rodeo, there were several courses and points were given for time and the ability to not knock the base balls off of the little (cut hose) stands.

4. sixinarow

sixinarow
    from Fargo, ND

Very damn true.

Thanks Bishop, I'm looking to get this together for a run our club is hosting in two weeks.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  5. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

I think they also used to use the term "Gymkhana" back in the day for obstacle course stuff like that......

6. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Thinking about this some more...... didn't the flatfoot in Felsen's "Hot Rod" novel try to talk Bud Crayne into entering a contest like this instead of trying his famous run to Trenton ?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  7. Toner283

Toner283

Wasn't the Gymkhana when you ran a course backwards? In reverse I mean?

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That would be a bitch in a 40 coupe.:D

9. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Look at a copy of street scene from the 70s.NSRA mag.

10. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

gymkhana correct - as is rodeo.........gymkhana (if I recollect) was started by the sports car boys (SCCA and local conference clubs) to exhibit the agility of those little "furrin" 2seaters and to demonstrate their handling skills behind the wheel. I'm not aware of a specific "drive it backwards" name, but have seen it done on a very abbreviated course (amateurs driving in reverse at speed can be quite harrowing).

I think some of the early hot rod groups even had tried the ROD-khana name or somesuch derivation.

dj

11. henryj429

henryj429

I think it was "Streetkhana" at the NSRA events in the late 80s. I remember hub cap hockey at the Canadian Street Rod Nationals....the passenger had a hockey stick and he whacked hubcaps into the nets as the car drove the course.

Damn, rod runs were a lot more fun before the Lawyers screwed it all up.

12. sixinarow

sixinarow
    from Fargo, ND

So were these the only obstacles in the Gymkhana/ Rodeo or are there others?

I see that Gymkhana is popular in the tuner world and in UK, Im just looking for the Rod Run style game.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The driving event that I recall watching involved accelerating from a stop and turning into a parking spot. Grabbing reverse and backing through a chicane into another parking spot and then back into 1st gear and back to the starting line. A timed event that you lost points if you hit any of the cones that marked the course. It was basically a 3 point U turn. There were as many variations as there were shows but they all involved pulling into a spot and backing into another. It was a driving skill contest.

I've never seen the above contest. It rules out all the cars with fenders.:confused:

Capitol Street rods Inc. started Rod jousting back in the 70s because jousting is the Maryland state sport. It's still a big deal at Cumberland, the Western Md. Streetrod show. We even put it on at the Nationals in Memphis Tenn. in 1980.