Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ideas or experiences putting a GM clip into '46-'48 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fortynut, Jun 9, 2009.

1. fortynut

fortynut

I just brought a '47 Ford Coupe home to play with. Being a low-buck hot rodder and now wannabe custom guy, upscale stuff like dropped axles and Mustang II stuff does not really meet my needs. Plus I want to cruise this one without any hassles. (I built a '37 in the traditional manner and want to expand my repitoire.) I have a late, front-steer Monte Carlo clip that looks interesting. I'm wondering if anyone knows about this line of attack, and has seen it done, or done it themselves, including Z-ing the frame to put it closer to the tarmac. Pictures and words from anyone will be more than just a little bit appreciated. And, as I get into doing it, I will respond by posting pictures and words about the ins-and-outs that are involved. That is, unless it's been done to death and there is a thread to lead me through the wilderness into the shining light. Thank you for your continued support.

2. A Mustang-II kit is less hassle in the long run for about the same amount of welding.

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

And when you cut all the old Ford crap off the chassis, Send it to me. ;)

4. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

A lot of good cars have been butcherd up with clips...MII is the way to go..or keep stock axel..just my opinion

5. Listen to these guys.

6. Mustang 2 or nothin

7. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

...plus, a front-steer sub frame will give you MUCHO trouble trying to fit the core support, radiator, and front sheet metal...

8. chris55

chris55

An S10 clip line right up with the frame, cheap and easy.

9. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

Although I didn't put it on, my 47 ford sedan has a 80 camaro front clip. the core support they used was all angle Iron, it's simple but effective. the nice thing about the front clip is the easeof a small block. here are some pics, I can take more detailed ones if you like. the front sheet metal fits just fine

Attached Files:

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

Why would it matter if it was done proper? why would a mustang II be a better seller than a camaro clip? That doesn't make sense to me?

11. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I build mine to drive...not to resell. besides if you have less into the car then you can afford to sell it a little cheaper.

12. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

check out my 48 fordor pics in my profile

13. Weasel

Weasel

Front suspension clips are soooo 90's. Too many badly engineered, misaligned or just plain junky installations out there. As noted by others it will affect your resale value. They were usually done because somebody got a free or cheap subframe and figured they could save some money.

Exactly what is it about a well engineered suspension solution - traditional or M II that will not 'meet your needs'? Please explain....

I have had all three - GM subframe, MII and trad dropped axle - the ride has been decent from all of them because they were well engineered. But I could not live with the GM subframe - ugly, clunky, cheap, tawdry and a Band Aid solution. I ended up building a new properly engineered chassis.

14. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

there's nothing wrong with doing things on a budget, just make it safe and reliable. some of us need to get our noses out of the air and respect the work of those of us with a smaller wallet. after all, this hobby is for enjoyment, mot profit at resale. real world drivers rule.

15. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Have you driven it yet?

16. chris55

chris55

I drive my 47 coupe, with an S10 clip all the time. Drives nice and straight, with no problems. Some of the MII setups I've seen, make the tires hang out to far.

17. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

It probably seems like the M2 kit is a lot of money. It's not, at least the crossmember is'nt when you consider all the bull shit of dicking around with a clip. I have done both in the past. My preference would be to keep the beam axle first. If you must have IFS then I recomend the M2. If you feel that is cheating...get the U weld up crossmember.
    That front steer clip is a dog to work around the steering box. Rehanging the front sheet metal is also a problem with clip jobs.
    My opinion.

18. RAY With

RAY With

THE GOOD

The s-10 is close to perfect. Then you got to replace all the front suspension parts if you want it right.

THE BAD

The way the motor bolts in the S-10 its to high and you have no engine fan room and the motor is right on the radiator and front frame horns are cut right at the grill area. You also have to use a small radiator.

Money and room way ahead by using the mustang ll set up

19. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

The car was being nostalgic drag raced( with the clip) before I had it. when we boxed the frame and installed the new x-member and rear suspension, the guy had a jig. who ever did my clip, made it nice and square on the frame. the sheet metal was already on it also when I got it. I'm not saying the clip is better, just that if done right it can work well. the only thing mine needed was shorter front coils for the proper stance. the power steering box lined up with a very slight angle into a new flaming river column, using just one 3/4 DD eo 1" DD u joint. so I don't see a problem using clips in cars

20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Check track width to make sure wheels don't stick out too far. Looks goofy.

21. Put it this way, if you want to have the front clip mount like it was supposed to, the radiator support mount like it was supposed to, and not have to engineer all new mounts for the whole works... go with a stock Ford axle or some kind of Mustang-II conversion.

If you want the thing to flop around and be full of rattles and squeaks and who knows what, or want to spend three times as long making brackets and supports... put a clip on it.

Now a Camaro clip borders on too wide (some like it, some don't) for a 49-52 Chevy, so I'd expect to have to narrow it for a 41-48 Ford, particularly if guys are saying the S10 fits them good. Or you'd have to buy those narrowed A-arms for it. In fact one of the magazines did that exact swap in the last couple years because the tires rubbed on the fenders of their '48 delivery.

That's all, your car, your choice. If your time has no value to you and you can engineer circles around most people, then a clip is easy. If you value your time and aren't an expert engineer, it's usually worth paying more for someone else to have already done the engineering.

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Stay with a straight axle. It's a nostalgia thing.

23. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

:confused::confused::confused:

24. fortynut

fortynut

Wow! My head is spinning. I put a Mustang II clip in a '35 Ford frame for a customer. I know how easy that is. I also know that an 'I' beam axle, when the spindles are bushed correctly, and the spring leaves slide as they're supposed to, the ties rod ends are fresh, and the alignment is dead on, and you have a recirculating ball steering box, and the road is not bumpy like they've gotten here in the South, you can cruise with the best of them. But, with that said, I wanted feedback on the subject of a GM clip, and boy have I gotten it. As for the S-10 pickup, from my observation, that's little more than a scaled down version of the earlier car clips, so anything that's been said about them probably applies to the S-10 as well. So, here I am, again looking at my sketch book wondering about what to do, though not without some good ideas. Thanks for your input.

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I think the reason why you are not getting a positive respose is because it should not be done period.

26. Dyce

Dyce

You would want a Nova subframe, and it needs to be narrowed 2". I've done 2 cars like your coupe and they both drive and ride nice.

But to keep the thread going the way it is I need to recomend you go spend a bunch of $$$ on some aftermarket mustang pos that is mostly made in China.

Nothing wrong with subframes IF IT'S DONE RIGHT.
    Jeff

27. inlinr6

inlinr6

My 48 had a streached chevelle chassis> I'm working with what I got,the rear works fine,but the front is wide and I'm struggling with wheel tire combos.this too is going to be a driver. I wish the stock chassis was there.I'm not a big fan of mustangII.if I had to do it over s-10 clip or a Volare.