Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ideas for T coupe roof?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alwayzarat, Nov 1, 2010.

1. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

Looking for some pics/ideas of a roof for a model T coupe. I'm thinking snaps and a tonneau style cover, but I'd like to see some pics of some that are done. I would also be interested to see one with the wood bows in it. Probably lots of things people have done that I don't even know about. Here is a pic of the car I am contemplating something for:

Attached Files:

2. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

We are in the same boat. I got a T coupe project too and looking for roof ideas.

3. Best one I ever saw is buried in one of my 80s SRM's. Guy took TWO 62ish Chevy pickup roofs, turned em sidways so the backs mated and used part of it as a visor. Sounds funky but this was an amazing gragae scene story and the car was over the top in detail.

4. greaseguns

greaseguns

Me too am looking for ideas for my build

Attached Files:

5. 117harv

117harv

Use 3/4 " wood or square tubing and make a frame with cross pieces that fits in the recess around the edge, with heavy canvas or marine vinyl pulled tight. With some type of fasteners you could remove it quickly for open top driving. Another top could be a louvered panel with or without a under pan to catch and remove water.

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

CHEVY TRUCK HOOD 88 AND UP TO 98 RUN IT BACKWARDS Sorry about that .Use the skin only ,Just an idea .

7. That looks way cool. Any more pictures of it? I am planning on keeping the roof open on my Model A Tudor with only the wood bows exposed. I want to have an option for a snap on toneau cover if the weather turns sour. I'll keep it rolled up behind the rear seat. Your car would look good with the roof open similar to Aaron's yellow one from the Chopper's of Burbank. That thing rules too.

8. Like this....

[​IMG]

9. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

I got a 25 TT I'm working on. The hole is half the size of your coups but I'm thinking a nice snap on top over wood bows too. Kicking around the tinted plexi-glass idea also. Whatever you do, please don't weld a flat piece of steel to it! I hate seeing that!

10. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

On mine I used an over sized sheet of plywood and covered it with some metal flake vinyl. however if you go this route you should bevel the edge of the plywood so the vinyl goes over the edge better.

11. 117harv

117harv

X2 on the flat piece of steel. I have also seen van roof tops with the raised ridges running the full length to give it some style and strength, 80's ford vans seem to come to mind.

12. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

It's impossible to weld a flat piece of sheet for a top. T coupe roof only appears to be flat. It is anything but.

13. Buck Sharp

Buck Sharp
    from nebraska

Van roof or station wagon roof. just a idea no clue it it will fit your application

14. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

My sedan had the perimeter woodwork and the bows. A cabinet guy I know routed out he openings and laid in 1/4 plywood, glued and shot it down. Sanded on it too.

Then I took that to a lil upholstery shop and they covered it with a very thin pad underneath. Also put me a nice stitch down the middle running lengthwise. Did that for 100 bux.

Its still open underneath. I was in too much of a hurry to see it installed to do a headliner.

DirtyJohn is right, it is far from flat.

Sorry pic shows no real detail.

Attached Files:

15. Mercury Charlie's Tall T had a perfect roof. I believe he made it from wood, rounded the very edges and padded it slightly before covering it in vinyl. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

16. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

Wow, my car looks just like this!!! I really like the open top, I would just like something quick and easy that could be added/removed in a pinch.
    Here is another pic I took yesterday:

Attached Files:

17. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Although this photo was taken a couple of years ago, I haven't changed the top....yet !
    The frame is made from square tubing and plywood covered in matching upholstery material. It is removable but the latch mechanism is really hard to deal with so I haven't taken it out yet.

[​IMG]

18. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

I found these on another forum...this is going to be a good looking roof panel...

Attached Files:

19. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

Awesome source of info! Keep em' coming!!! I wonder if you could get away without a "frame" underneath the top cover? I think what makes the roof not flat obviously is the wodden framework in the first place. If you just put snaps around the perimeter and had a tonneau cover made I wonder if it would flap alot? I guess the framing allows you to stretch the top tighter?

20. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

How bout this!!!

Attached Files:

21. gasser300, your C-Dan is looking really good... haven't seen you on the "other" forum lately...

22. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

That's the shit right there! I love that visor too!!! Where did that come from???

23. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

How's this for a visor?

A GM product of some kind ( looked like a 4 door model T ) and I cut off the bottom half.

Attached Files:

24. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

Those would work well I think:D

25. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

That is a super nice T!!! Awesome!!!