Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I6 to V8 front suspension brands

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TarheelFalcon, Oct 16, 2018.

1. TarheelFalcon

TarheelFalcon

Hey there everybody. I’ve been reading a good bit of posts on here regarding doing a I6 to V8 swap on my 65 Falcon. It currently has a 200ci in it..but thinking of dropping a 289 or 302 in it (leaning towards the 302). I received the car from my grandfather who had parked it once his mother passed and just never did anything with it.
    Unfortunately, all of the suspension components are rusted out and in pretty bad shape. Even if I got the car to run, I just wouldn’t feel comfortable with the suspension as it sits. So if I’m going to be replacing just about everything anyway, might as well upgrade to the V8 stuff as well as do the disc brake conversion up front to 5 lug for the 302. I don’t have a huge budget (going to sell my motorcycle to help with funding some of the project) but I would like decent suspension parts/disc conversion parts. Who/what are some quality brands that supply the complete front suspension kits and are affordable ($500-$1000)? Are the kits available on EBay even worth looking at? Would be great to get direct bolt on that required little to no welding.
    This is my first older car I’ve ever started as a project, so excuse my ignorance on anything that may seem pretty simple to some.

C00DA779-A77F-434D-9903-38FCD3054726.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  2. Patrick Crumley

Patrick Crumley

Can't help ya much, bit that is a great looking little project.

Sent from my moto z3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TarheelFalcon likes this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

MOOG has been a highly respected manufacturer of suspension parts for decades. In this day and age of off shore sourcing, it's hard to say for certain who has the best stuff.

TarheelFalcon and olscrounger like this.
  4. TarheelFalcon

TarheelFalcon

Thanks Patrick.

5. It has been a long time and I didn't have any need the information at the time (that is my way of saying check out what I say) but I think the '65 Mustang used a Falcon suspension if a 6 cylinder and a Fairlane suspension if a V8. You might check to see if a Fairlane front suspension or a Mustang V8 front suspension would be a bolt in for your car. Check with a junk yard and have them look in their Hollander interchange manual. Be sure to get the rear end at the same time.

If the suspension is rusted how is the unibody, maybe time for a different car.

Charlie Stephens

Tim likes this.
  6. TarheelFalcon

TarheelFalcon

The unibody is in decent shape. It had sat under his carport and then later another carport away from the house, so I think the components just rusted over time. Here are a few pics of the suspension and I’ll try to get a good one of the underside later tonight or tomorrow. I had begun redoing the brakes so some of the parts may look new.

7FB1813B-F72C-426D-8B9C-9FA62F0F0D17.jpeg DC2D884D-4E73-498B-B213-5E824E009F62.jpeg 5A111467-A94D-43C2-9695-8AF8C29F0BDE.jpeg

7. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

All looks good, nothing in those photos needs replacing due to rust, very light surface rust is all I see. All the boots look good, if there is no excessive movement anywhere don’t spend $ replacing serviceable parts. You will need new front springs, rear dunno someone will be along shortly ....

Tim likes this.
  8. TarheelFalcon

TarheelFalcon

I’m pretty sure the spindles aren’t sufficient and need to be swapped out to V8 ones. As well as the other front suspension parts.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

you are not the first to upgrade to a V8 - pretty sure that there are kits to do this with Stang style set up

10. TarheelFalcon

TarheelFalcon

The original question of the post is simply asking what companies sell quality disc conversion/suspension parts as complete kits that are in the $500-$1000 range if any. I know the topic of converting to V8 has been ran into the ground..I’m just trying to not spend a fortune on the suspension but at the same time buy decent parts that won’t fail.

11. mvweaver

mvweaver

If I have read about the V8 swap correctly, then the Mustang and Falcon V8 centerlink is not interchangeable. I think the Mustang is longer. Otherwise all the other components will swap. Most Mustang Resto houses offer decent kit prices, however if you checkout Rockauto, you can sometimes piece one together for a little lower price. As for disc brakes, if you use the early Mustang spindles it’s hard to beat CSRP’s price on a disc conversion that is factory. They also sell kits with spindles I believe. I’ve got one of their disc kits to go on my 63 Falcon.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. TarheelFalcon

TarheelFalcon

mvweaver..CSRP is actually the kit I was looking at and comparing others too. Looks like the best bang for my buck

13. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

BTW; when you do your changeover, do the same upper a-arm re-location mods that Shelby did in '65. Can be done at home. I don't have the patterns at my fingertips, but the SAAC(Shelby American Automobile Club) had diagrams n measurements to do this in an article in the club mag. Someone here should have that info to photocopy for you. The mod greatly improved handling, & the fun factor of the cars. Mustang was little more than a gilded falcon. Believe Holman/Moody (& Bill Stroppe [?])did similar things. Can also look to other mods they did, which were mostly raiding Fords' H.D. parts bins, & were mostly bolt-on deals. Well worth your time to find out. Marcus...

14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Get a 64-65 Falcon shop Manual.....
    Do the checks...Rebuild the front end....if nessessary.
    Hop up the 200...gain experience......learn something.......don't just sling money...... Have a ball with that little car.
    Save the big money for a big money car.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

search for old thread here/online: 64 Falcon Suspension Upgrade by MUNCIE Feb 5, 2008 -- & championfalcon.com -- performanceonline.com

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I give you two thumbs up for thinking of the suspension and safety first. Sounds like you have your head on straight and your car is in good hands.:cool:

17. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

Check CSRP. They sell complete disc brake swaps with the V8 spindles included. I put one of their kits on my 63 Fairlane and I have nothing but good things to say about their quality and service.

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This. Sorry, it sounds like you really want to build this car, but a 4 door sedan will never bring back the money you spend building it. You can probably say that about most builds, but doubly about a 4 door sedan. The above advice is solid.

F-ONE likes this.
  19. The other thing to be aware of is the six cylinder Falcons used a light, flimsy body shell. Ford increased the metal gauge in the framerails, rockers and shock towers, as well as adding torque boxes tying the framerails/rockers together plus some other additional reinforcement. All this was to upgrade the flimsy six cylinder shell to withstand the added power/weight of the V8. You can bet that Ford didn't add all this just for the hell of it.....

20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well Blues4you is correct in general. However, I have noticed that the millennial crowd tend to prefer four doors over two doors. Therefore re-sale to a fellow millennial could be easier than us older folk who seem to think two doors are best. Add to that that it was your grandfather's car I don't think re-sale is of much importance now. My stuff is mostly two doors but I really appreciate four doors as they were what most families bought. Occasionally you'd see a wagon but those were four doors as well. So as far as bringing back an historical artifact I say well done. And as far as rust on the suspension that is nothing!

21. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I’m not sure when Ford added torque boxes to the Falcon Unibody . Im sure by 64 this was complete by Ford . If this is true , you should have not one issue installing a V8 and front suspension . As stated most parts are same as a Mustang . A few are not as in Pitman Arm and Centerlink . These were tough to locate years ago . I’m not sure if , anyone repops these parts today . The trans mount on these cars is a strange bird also , C4 is a bolt in , so is a T10 , TopLoader will take some looking locate proper stuff also . The upper control mod as Shelby did is a plus x 10 . As far as rear axle Mustang stuff ( axle housing ) is a bolt in and go . If you want 9 in stuff which is not really needed , 57-59 Ford car is a bolt in also . I’m sure a newer Explorer , is very close and can net you rear disc brakes with the swap . Front discs can be purchased as a kit , or in the day I used Monarch/ Granada stuff , pretty much bolt in and go . Something was different with tie rod ends , if you go this way the HAMB or Google is goin to be your best friend . As stated you may never recoup your investment from a 4 door car . But my thoughts are if you want to swap the stuff to a V8 and have fun with your car , so be it . It is yours and I’ll help you anyway I can on the ride .

22. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

You want 65' Falcon/Comet V8 steering components from the pitman arm out…. All the pieces from 64/65/66 Mustang should be the same EXCEPT the center link which is longer.... You must use the 65' Falcon/Comet V8 center link...
    65/66 Mustang disc brake spindles should fit if you can find them...
    I used Mercury Monarch disc parts on my 63' Ranchero with all the 65' Falcon V8 steering parts...
    If you can find it, there is an article called "Upgrade your Falcon steering" by Dick Harrington that explains everything you need to know about this....

LynnW

23. Ford added the torque boxes in '63, when the V8 became available. But they were only used on the V8 cars (with two exceptions; all convertibles got the heavier 'V8' shell with even more additional bracing, and the Ranchero/Wagon got them in the back on all models) along with the other structural improvements I mentioned above. The same thing was true of the first-generation Mustangs, there was two distinct body shells. Mercury Comet was the same as the Falcon in '63, but in '64 they went to the 'V8' shell for all models for better NVH ratings.

I'm not saying you can't swap a six car over to a V8, but there can be issues. Cracked framerails is one, and the dangerous issue is the possibility of the upper control arm pivot points tearing out of the shock towers. I have seen that happen, it can be a catastrophe...

24. TarheelFalcon

TarheelFalcon

I definitely understand the views on keeping the six..but not everything is about the money. I was fortunate enough to not have to pay anything for this Falcon. My grandfather asked me one day if I was interested in it after someone offered to buy it from him and I of course said yes (I would wash the car while it sat under his carports even though it didn’t run and I think he realized out of all my cousins, that I genuinely wanted and would take care of the car). He passed last year, we were very close and this is my way of always having him around. I never intend on selling this car.

25. TarheelFalcon

TarheelFalcon

I actually prefer two doors over four myself..but I also like to work with what I have for the most part. Plus there is the sentimental value that another car just won’t give me. So my goal is to pretty much make a sleeper out of this car.

26. TarheelFalcon

TarheelFalcon

So when looking at upgrading the front suspension..is it best to get one of this kits that have the weld in frame rails? I know they are a little more than I’d like to spend...