Register now to get rid of these ads!

I6 Spitfire engines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhoDoYouFink, Nov 2, 2007.

1. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

So I was at the scrapyard recently and was able to pick up a '53 Desoto that someone had junked. It pays to know people. Anyway, it has an inline 6 Spitfire engine and autotrans. in it. Any speed parts for these old Chrysler motors? I think I saw a roadster in Rod and Custom recently in event coverage that had one in it, but no details. Any experts out there? Thanks for your help all.

2. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

talk to blueskies, he's got a Plymouth and hotrodded it. He has a website about the build and links to MOPAR speed parts. I'm pretty sure you can get a custom cam, split manifold for dual carbs and exhaust, and maybe mill the head.

this is my spitfire I just sold.

[​IMG]

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

What used to be Edgy Cams in Cupertino has moved to Santa Rosa and I don't know the name. He casts great looking finned aluminum heads and other stuff for the Spitfire. Had the number-lost it.

4. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

my 230- 3/4 cam, HEI, dual intake and exhaust, 9:1 compression EDGY head, overdrive.

[​IMG]

as mentioned, there's a page on my site, www.50plymouth.com, with a few links to the stuff that I used.

Also, www.p15-d24.com has one of the best forums for flathead six powered cars.

Pete

5. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

This was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys!

6. 5window

5window

Damn,I was thinking sixteen engines from WWII fighter planes! Good luck with your motor.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

One of the engine choices for the Sherman tank was the Chrysler Multi Bank. 5, count 'em, Five spitfires in a circle flywheel end in pointing at a centeral gear box. Plug changes must have taken a while.

8. Ole don

Ole don

There were only thirty cylinders on the tank engine, think about the nightmare aircraft engines must have been with dual ignition.

9. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

[​IMG]

Nice lil Flat 6,
    But the Dodge/Plymouth 6s are different than the Chrysler/DeSoto 6s

The Chry~DeS engines are larger displacement & longer than its lil brother... Parts do not interchange.

I have a 2x1 Tattersfield intake for the Chry~DeS Flat 6 :D

No, Its not FOR SALE !

By the way, That Engine would look wayy Cooler with a Chrome generator on it.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Actually when I went to work at UAL they still flew 18 cylinder Round motors. Good thing the 4360s were gone by then.

11. squirrel

squirrel

that made me go searching....

Attached Files:

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Ford power for a Sherman slightly hopped up