Register now to get rid of these ads!

I won? Really? Are you sure?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugman, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Bugman

Bugman

I almost never take my '55 Plymouth to judged shows. It's a daily driver, not a show car. There's nothing special about it, it's just very (very) low. Today I went to our local show, mostly to drive blocker for my buddy's yet to be registered '53 Chevy. I ended up in the "1950's Street Machine" class:rolleyes: because the stock class guys complain because it's lowered(although it's otherwise nearly 100% stock).

There were 5 cars in the class, including a NICE '55 Chevy. All of them were done in the typical street rodish but not totally billet laden style and show car clean. So here I am, dirty streaked white walls, bubbly chipped paint, cracked bondo bug splatters, and to top it all off, water spotted paint. Aside from a self proclaimed "rat rod", and my buddy's rusty '53, my car was the least presentable car there.

We sat there all day talking to passers by, my buddy's two tone rust/bare steel '53 getting alot of attention in the stock class, and my car not really standing out(as usual). We wait around for the awards because given the attention my buddy's car was getting, I had high hopes for my buddy's '53 on it's maiden outing.

His class came and went, and he didn't win. Dissapointing, but not really unexpected. Then my class came up. I was intrested to see which of the fancy show cars won first, second, and third. Then I heard my name and entry number. WHAT!?! :confused::eek::confused: Really? Are you sure? My white walls aren't even clean.

It was participant voting, and I didn't even vote. My car was the least deserving car there, and I still placed. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to win, but my car's just a beat up rusting Plymouth...

2. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

The people must like beat up rusted Plymouths!
    Congratulations on your win.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Congrats! Maybe the participants who voted for it, admired it for being a driver. I think deep inside every showcar guy, is a guy who wishes he weren't affraid to drive the wheels off his.

4. Black Magic

Black Magic

You said it, I agree.

5. even the ugly chick get to be the belle of the ball every once in a while , congrats man , your on your way to trophy whoredom , dive on in the shallow end the waters fine , the chicks aint purdy but they sure are fun..

6. PRoz

PRoz

Congrats dude.

For some reason this seems like DeJavu ;)

7. Bugman

Bugman

Haha...I'm still so surprised I actually won that I had to tell my internet home away from home too :D

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes when I am at a participant vote show ... I vote for the owner ... not the car. I like to vote for the owner that seems to be having to most fun with the lest pressure. So many owner get all uptight with their trophy whoredoom that I enjoy messing with thier egos :D I know I am not alone in this.

When I drove my old beater 40 Ford coupe to a event ... I usually had a BLAST ... because to me ... it is about people. The cars and the trophies are secondary.

9. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Cool, keep pushing those trailer queens noses in the dirt.

10. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

11. lewislynn

lewislynn

Well...Let's see it.

12. Weasel

Weasel

Yesss, congratulations - you are now officially a trophy whore.:D:D:D

13. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

One of the secrets of participant voting, is that it often results in a tie.

A coin is tossed to break the tie.

I think they should change that to an arm-wrestle...

14. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

and I'm sure at least one of the guys in your class was pissed enough about it to make a fuss to someone... :rolleyes:

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

pictures...?..or it didnt happen

16. John B

John B

My stuff are always rough old drivers, but I enter car shows anyway. Why? Cause I like to socialize. Plus it's usually being held for some charity. Most of the time when the judges come around I tell them to keep going, if I happen to be around. I know I'm not going to win, though sometimes I do. Win or lose, it doesn't change how the day turned out. Marble and plastic held together with a steel threaded rod, doesn't create real happiness. That's coming from a guy who owns a trophy shop.

Later when the trophy is discarded, you'll have the memories of a good day hanging out with you're buddy, that was made a tad bit better by the recognition of other car owners.

17. Kramer

Kramer

I agree, lets see the show winner in all her glory!

18. Bugman

Bugman

Fresh off the camera :)

Attached Files:

19. AD

AD

cool man,

20. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I always vote for the car I'd like to drive/own. They are always drivers. Congratulations.

21. come on man , thats a teaser pic kinda like playboy ,, lets see everything in a hustler kind of way!!

22. Bugman

Bugman

Haha...since you asked so nice :D

[​IMG]

23. Oh Yeah!! Making us Plymouth owners proud.
    Your car looks awesome! Congrats!

BloodyKnuckles

24. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

oh that thing is BAD-ASS!

25. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

psshhh-no wonder you won, that thing is super cool! congrats.

26. 55olds88

55olds88

I know exactly how you feel, I picked up best original in my olds at the biggest local show a bunch of years back, I was real surprised I was there selling at the swap meet rather then showing the car, like you it was less then clean, is a little lower then factory and pin-stripped and wearing radials..... I actually tyhink it was ment to be the car that was parked next to me earlier but who am I to complain :eek:)

27. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Show a picture of the car!

28. they picked the right car , looks bitchin man..

29. mikes51

mikes51

Your plymouth is looking good. Great looking stance. I'm often pleasantly surprised at how perceptive some spectators or judges are. I remember driving my old Merc to a show. There were lots of perfect, expensive street rods there. But I over heared people talking when they looked at my worn out primered ride, sitting much too low, with lots of rock chip marks on the hood, and the upholstery worn out by the door handle, etc. They usually say, "now that is a REAL hot rod". They surprisingly know the difference.

30. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Congrats on the win, I agree and fall on similar fate...

I never win ANYTHING, but until I tore the truck apart to finish it I drove the piss out of it...

Took it to the J-ville GG show and didnt win squat...hadda bucket of fun though, got the next months issue of the gazette and hadda 1/2 page photo in there with a healthy blurb bout my truck...I shure felt like a winner!

I got the pic framed and on me wall...I'm still tickled bout that, gives me something to look forward too once the truck gets done...

Good looken car BTW doesnt look like it needs anything really....