Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I wish I could preserve this look...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brad2v, May 15, 2014.

1. brad2v

brad2v

brads phone 0515 023_opt.jpg These are a set of M/T Rader wheels, in a pretty rare bolt pattern (5 on 4") for my '63 Dart wagon. This set has been blasted, originally it was a chrome steel rim with a polished aluminum center (for the kids in the audience, the rim is just the outer hoop, NOT the entire assembly, just a pet peeve). I metal prepped 'em today to get ready for paint, this was the result, I think they look really cool. Alas, they'd look like this for a week in real world use, so they're getting painted in aluma-blast. One day though, they'll get sent to Jimmy at RallyAmerica to get redone properly. Just thought I'd share. And, test-drive the new functions.

2. Squablow

Squablow

What is aluma-blast?

There is a magnesium colored wheel paint in spray cans that's surprisingly real-looking, although I forget who makes it. I think that color, with some chrome trim rings to simulate the original chromed outers, would look real nice on here.

I ran trim rings on a set of Fenton Hawks with the centers painted black and just the ribs exposed in aluminum, looked real nice that way, at least to me.

3. Why not throw a clear coat on them? HRP

4. brad2v

brad2v

Aluma-blast looks like dull aluminum, clear coat is out, I shot 2 wheels today, they look pretty good. Question though, the centers are riveted to the rims, I assume the wheels were intended to be ran with tubes, what's my best option to seal them?

5. Clear em like HRP suggested but use a flattened clear so they don't get phony looking..

6. brad2v

brad2v

Truthfully, the rim is a little dinged up anyway, so paint is the best option for the moment. What do I do to seal the rivets?