Register now to get rid of these ads!

I wan't my brother to build his hot rod "need help"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbones32coupe, Mar 23, 2007.

1. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

glad to hear you got him going on the truck, my brother bought a 40 ford coupe in 1962, he jumped on it right away, got it together with a sbc, had it painted and about 90percent done, in 1964, second baby came along ,new house, not enuff money, put it up for sale, alot of guys trying to trade him junk for it, he got pissed, backed it in the garage. it sat from 1964 until 2002. he retired i rode his butt for 30plus years, finally he said lets do it!hes a great fabricator ,we stripped it to the frame, he got chassis done ,i did the motor for it , dam if he didnt quit on me again! november of 07, he was out of town for the winter, i backed my trailer up to his garage and took the dam thing! i was planning to get it plumbed motor installed and a good part of the body work done before he got home, i had his son come and help out when he could. we got it rolling and body back on frame motor in major body work done . we were going to take it back to his garage , and we ran into a deal on finish work and paint. so off to the body shop. 30 years ago if i would have taken his car out of his garage, he would have kicked my ass. so i didnt know what to expect when he got home! althought now he is 73 years old ,and i can out run him ,so i wasnt to worried! oh bullshit i was nevous as hell! well the car was not done and back in the garage like we were hoping. i was waiting down the street at a friends house when he got home ,so i could beat him to his garage, so i could tell him it wasnt there so he wouldnt freak! i had pics ready so he could see what we had done , he was blown away! i was relieved! its not done yet , but its getting close. anyway some times we all need a push, and its really kool that he still has it! its also kool that your brother has kept that pickup! keep pushing him ,he will be glad you did! now when we get this 40 done i guess i will have to steal the 55 belair hes got sitting! dont know when i will get my 3 projects done!

2. racer756

racer756

I wish I had a brother like you.

3. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

For what it's worth, I've been hanging onto an off-topic car for 20 years that's been undriveable for 10+. First everyone thought I was crazy, now they think I'm lazy. However, I know something they don't. I know all the project cars between then and now have just been learning tools with the ultimate goal of ressurecting that one "neglected" car. It ain't neglected. It's too special to do any way other than completely, totally right. Right includes timing. Good luck!

4. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

You guys are all so great thank you all for the replys this thread is what the jalopy journal is all about. for those of you who read this in its entirety you can realy touch base with familys with common tallent.

rd martin that is a cool story and I hope you guys have a great time building the first ride will be well worth it. when my brother and I took a ride in the model A after it sitting for 20 years he had cheese face and it was cool to be able to share that with him. The model A was my dads old dragger and when dad got the chance to drive his old car again it was a realy cool day. now my dad takes his friends out for rides in the A too bring back old memories.

Shifty Shifterton I have a special project of my own and I can't wait to get a quick change for it. You are right that the timing must be just right I know as well that I need some loot $$$ to buy a rearend and waiting for the prefect deal I can afford. It is hard to spend money you don't have on somthing that needs years of work but I have to start somwhere. so when my time comes it will be a mile stone for me on that project.