Register now to get rid of these ads!

I think my dump valve took a dump...(air suspension help please)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eryk, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Eryk

Eryk

I had my '67 Cutlass bagged not too long ago. I don't have side to side or anything. Just a 5 switch setup (front and back up/down and pancake up). My "front down" switch isn't working at all right now and my front bags are only holding steady air for about an hour or so. After they deflate on their own I can lift the front up just fine every time. It's just the dump that isn't working. I checked the wiring to the switch and it seems fine. My questions are: Do you think it's the front dump valve that's bad? Could it be something else in the wiring? Do you think that the leak and the inability to dump air are related? I've gone back and read many airbag threads. I know there are some pretty knowledgable people on the board. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

the valve might just have some crap in it try cleaning it out

3. Eryk

Eryk

I forgot to mention that when the switch is pressed there is no noticeable sound of the valve trying to engage. No click. No snap. No crackle. No pop. Nothing. That's why I thought it might be a wiring thing at first.

4. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

5. Ramblur

Ramblur

If your front inflate and dump valves are close enough try swapping the wiring
    and see if it follows the switch or stays with the valve. Before you do
    anything check the grounds. Leaking valves seem to be fairly common
    especially with the cheaper valves. Need to regularly drain the air tank
    you'll be amazed at the moisture and crud. As mentioned before try cleaning
    the valve out,sounds like it may be stuck. Disassembly is pretty straight
    foward just pay attention to how it comes apart. Please post what you find.
    Personally I like to see four corner fill and dump (8 valve) as they will
    eliminate a lot of body roll in corners and will save your @$$ in an
    emergency maneuver...

6. labelkills

labelkills

I agree with the switching of the wires on the dump to any other valve to see if it is the wiring. or hit the switch with a friend testing the volts but the wire switch is a nice trip for on the side of the road. I have left plenty of times with 8 valves and came home with 6 ( I always have a cresent and a extra t fitting)
    No snap crackler and pop often means no power.
    Grounds are a good place to start if this is the case. A lot of times the grounds will be on painted surfaces that just get a quick scaping with a screwdriver.

I am not sure how familiar you are with air suspension (seems like you know the lingo), but if you are new dont worry it is easier then you would think. If you do take it apart be sure on reassembly to teflon the hell out of EVERY fitting. One leak and it kills the psi and you will think you have a bigger problem then you do. And trust me your 4xxx some pound car needs every bit of pressure available.

7. Eryk

Eryk

Thanks for all the tips guys. And that link really helped alot. I still have no idea what kind of valves I have, but I did find the problem. It was a stuck valve due to debris. I carefully disconnected the valve and cleaned it out like you guys suggested. There was a small metal shaving inside. I also found a bit of lint. I didn't know these things could get so dirty right away. At least now I got it working and I know how to clean them. Thanks again for the help. I'm new to air suspensions, but I think I'll get the hang of it all.

Here's the Cutlass.
    [​IMG]

8. labelkills

labelkills

Sweet car!

They sell a filter for the dump that is suppose to help, they are cheap, but I dont know if they do anything.

9. JSM56

JSM56

i run dump filters to slow it down more than anything, but ive never had a valve go bad, been bagged for 2 years. also make sure you run air filters on the compressor inlets. also drain the tank regularly, you'll see rusty water come out. some people run water traps after the compressor but i have not tried it.

10. Eryk

Eryk

I just did that over the weekend. I can't believe how much crap can build up inside the tank.

I bumped this thread to ask another quick question. I fixed the valve issue but I still have a slow leak in the front. I know somebody already mentioned that some valves tend to leak. I've already unthreaded and re-teflon the valve setup on the front end. Is there any easy way to check a valve for leaks?

11. Brickster

Brickster

Windex, spray it on every connection. If it bubbles then there's a leak

12. Eryk

Eryk

Thanks Brickster. Cool of you to be helpful. I'm lame for not thinking of that.