Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need wiring help on 56 buick column...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brewsir, Sep 6, 2008.

1. brewsir

brewsir

I'm putting a 56 buick column in a 52 and using an EZ wire kit....can anyone give me the wiring diagram or where what colors go on the stock column??

2. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

any chance that it's similar to a '54-6 Oldsmobile? :confused:

3. i'll give it a try , not exactly sure...Gm changed in the 60's

pink = left rear turn/brake
    purple=right rear turn/brake
    light blue=left front turn
    dark blue= right front turn
    white=brake switch
    black=horn
    yellow=power from flasher

does this match up?

4. donzzilla

donzzilla

I think they keep that info right next to the holy grail. I chased that down for quite a while on my '56 Buick Gasser to put the Painless harness in it. I know it is not the same colors as a tri 5 Chevy. The only one I think was right was the white horn wire.

I ended up using a universal turnsignal switch from a big truck. Under 20 bux and a lot less time and agrivation.

Don

5. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

All you have to do is use an ohm meter on each wire and it will tell you every thing you need to know.Turn the signal to the right and see which wire has continuity through it and just go down the list and you will get it

6. squirrel

squirrel

7. brewsir

brewsir

just got back in...I'll try tomorrow. As for ohming this out.....Which wire would I be ohming from...as in doesn't the power get into the column on one wire and out on the rest? Or do they just ground out and complete a circuit??

8. Judd

Judd

From the 56 Buick shop manual. If it won't open big enough pm me your e=mail and I'll send it.

Attached Files:

9. squirrel

squirrel

The colors look different than normal GM stuff....but using the 56 wiring diagram and the instructions for the new harness, you should be able to figure it out.

10. brewsir

brewsir

That will work...Thank you all!!!

11. brewsir

brewsir

Finally got it figured out...I have 9 wires not counting the horn wire.
    I spent 2 hours figuring it out but basically there is a hot wire from the brake switch and 2 hot wires coming from the flasher (three way flasher...one hot in and 2 hot out) 2 wires that go forward and 2 that go to the rear....I had to really dig to figure out the last 2 wires....some brilliant engineer decided that the signal indicators for the dash needed their own power and their own individual wires running through the column.
    Anyway...Thank you all for your assistance.