Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I need to know? Gm generators with tach drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Dec 11, 2011.

1. I had forgotten about seeing these on cars before until my dad said something about it last night on the phone. I need to be able to hook up my tach at some point and this may be my only option pricewise. I doubt I will be able to afford one of those units that mount to the crank and I already have a Mallory dizzy for my Olds 371 soooooo, What are my options with these generators and what years did they come on cars(corvettes?) And most importantly where do I find one that will work and how much are they? Thanks ahead of time. Dale

2. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

57 vette is a good start, but your tack will have to be recalibrated for speed

3. I never heard of a generator with a tach drive...how in the heck would that work? Generator doesn't turn at same RPMs as engine. Do you have a pic of one?

4. Well, I'll be damned! There is such a thing! I just googled it. I can honestly say that in all the years I have been in the car thing, I have never seen or heard of one. That's the HAMB for ya, I can learn something new everyday!

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Why do you need a cable driven tach?

7. squirrel

squirrel

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Pretty sure that you will need the same generator core that was used on power steering equipped cars to get the proper armature. I believe the bolt on parts at the rear are available in repo but being Corvette, they may cost more than the crank drive parts.

9. Because I actually want to use the vintage curved glass SW tach that I got that came off the original "Black Widow" roadster that's why. Genarator is at crank speed and they have had crank driven units for years if you can find one that isn't $1000 or more for one of those units. But if someone has one for a $100 I'll take it. I'll check into that link on the Corvette place. Thanks. Anyone have one of those generators with tach drive they would sell?

10. Ok, Now another question. I have a rebuilt Delco-Remy generator that I picked up at a swapmeet. They look like the same as the Corvette one on that website. Are they and will that tach drive unit work on my 57 Olds generator? Thoughts.

11. squirrel

squirrel

vette places sells the whole thing for a buck and a quarter, and the parts book says the armature and rear end frame are the same as the power steering generators.

does the olds generator have a spline shaft sticking out the back of it?

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I don't think so. The armature has to extend beyond the end plate to turn the drive gear on the rear unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-58-59-...t=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  13. I am wondering. It looks like you remove the back cover and add on the geardrive unit so the shaft would not have to be any longer. I am going to call them tomorrow and inquire. Something tells me this will work. It would sure be nice to find one of these used and servicible and add it onto my generator. Someone on here has to have done this. Maybe someone else will chime in. Thanks guys!

14. squirrel

squirrel

no, it's a different rear end frame and different armature. See pic above...

15. Oh, Ok, I just now am seeing this generator that you put up. That throws a curve into my thinking. That's an expensive generator. Not for me. Maybe I can find one used that needs a rebuild. I definetly want to go this way. Thanks Tommy and Squirrel!

16. Just went back and looked at that tractor link. That may be a cheaper option and work. I will have to call on that too.

17. squirrel

squirrel

where is Greasewood wash, does that run by Maxwell Jr High?

18. anteek

anteek

Massey-ferguson tractors and others had a mechanical tach. Check NAPA or a rebuild shop.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It seems to me it shouldnt be that hard to find a generator from a power steering equipped car? I would think virtually all Caddys & Buicks, vast majority of later ('59-'63) Impalas would all have power steering? I am looking at doing the same thing in the near future here, was planning on using the Corvette parts. I'm more of a drag race guy, so I havent spent alot of time hunting for generators in the past. Am I missing something here? Fill me in guys, I'm a little out of my depth here.

20. squirrel

squirrel

Most of the other GM cars had the steering pump driven by a belt directly, not like the chevy one that mounted on the generator.

21. sunbeam

sunbeam

Another route if you want alternator Allis Chalmers xt190 tractors used a delco 63 amp unit with a cable tack drive.

22. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I had a '58 'vette with a tack drive generator. Also a '68 'vette with a tack drive DISTRIBUTOR. If you go a tack drive distributor, then you can go with an alternator and have better charging.

23. squirrel

squirrel

huh, I've never seen that.

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I wonder if someone like Bubba can adapt a Chevy Mallory tach drive dist to work in your Olds engine?

I always buy the early Chevy Mallory tach drives that are reasonable to be used in an 8BA flathead. Just a thought. I know he can work wonders with distributors.

25. jimvette59

jimvette59

If the frame fits the pulley diameter will determine the tachometer reading.

26. jimvette59

jimvette59

The diameter of the pulley will determine the RPMs of the tachometer.

27. I was wrong, disreguard that statement.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So I have to find a chevy power steering application generator. All years right up to '63? Still shouldn't be THAT rare, but I bet these command a premium because corvette restorers are hunting for them, right?
    I am all hung up on a '59-'60 time frame and getting it right, so if I use a tach drive dizzy, I need a cast iron tach drive corvette dizzy, alot rarer and more expensive than the right generator, I'll wager. Unless I can round up a period mallory with a tach drive. :rolleyes:Thanks squirrel.

Another thing to consider, I was going to try to find a late fifties, chevy cast-iron, cup type dual point, and a generator, add the tach drive to the generator. Might be cheaper at the end of the day to just use a regular generator and pony up for a Corvette cast-iron tach drive dual point. This might require more thought...

29. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I know you said you have a Mallory but you ever consider adapting one of these?

they are cheap and easy to find

shaft is same diameter and perfect length just lop the tang off the end and drill for the Olds gear

have to bush the housing to fit the block but it's not far off

have to disable the governor if it has one, flop the vacuum advance canister to work ccw
    and maybe swap in an electronic ignitor

but you'd have a mechanical tach drive in your Olds that would have them all scratching their heads

[​IMG]

30. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

yes it does BUT i believe the tach also has to be calibrated for dizzy or gen drive