Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects i need some info on 1952-54 ford cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tr12, Jun 14, 2010.

1. tr12

tr12

ok so im thinking about buying a car of this bodystyle.I can het it cheap , and its not in absolute horrible shape. i just want to get to know these cars before i start workin' on one so i got a few questions.....

it was originally an 8 cylinder car but now has a six. what engine came in after the flatheads? the y block?

how is the parts market for these...i will be needing a left front fender and probably a right door along with numerous other things like brakes and things along that line.

well thank you all for keeping up such a great site and thanks for any help...Troy

2. 52 & 53 had either flathead or 215 6
    54 had y-block or 223 six. Y-block for this year is one year only. Be better off getting a later y-block if you go that route
    54 suspension is complete redesign too and can use Ford Granada spindles for disc brakes and to lower as well
    Body panels are not that difficult to find, 54 fenders are a bit different. Parts market has strong support of these models. Check out that hood hinges are in good shape, they can be pretty hard to find. Rust in all of the usual places for an old car and on top of fenders at headlights too.

3. Squablow

Squablow

Nobody makes fenders or doors, you'll have to hunt them down. Doors should be easy enough to find in good shape, but front fenders can be a little tougher to come by.

'54 has a revised front suspension that is improved over the earlier setup, and there is much more aftermarket suspension parts available for the '54.

57-59 Ford 9" rearends fit pretty good. Stock rearend isn't that strong if you're planning to put some power to it.

Hood hinges have a tendancy to break or get really worn out. They're also a huge pain in the ass to take out and put back in. Good hood hinges are a huge bonus.