Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need some Carb advice.. need to upgrade holley 885

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fermiumhalo, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

I just got this 1950 mercury boy what was I thinkin I get back from Iraq and BAM like a maniac I buy my dream car... not knowing anything about carbs.. I need help People. All I know is that mine is leaking at the fuel feed line which is a hard line and even after tightening the flare fitting it still leaks. SO I thought I had a stomberg and ordered this red fuel line and brass nipple.. well I now know I have a HOLLEY 885 "Piece of Crap" so even though I will loose the autochoke what carb setup should I get? Just looking for something simple and reliable for the flatthead. This is gonna be my cruiser so don't need anything Crazy.... Your opions PLEASE!

Thanks in Advance!

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

You don't have a carburetor problem--you have a plumbing problem. Why throw the carb away if all you need is a replacement fitting? Last I knew, the 885 wasn't considered to be a "piece of crap". Take the line off, screw the fiting out of the carb, and go to your NAPA store and match up the fittings. Go back home and screw it together. What could be simpler than that?

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Bolt-on for Mercs--Rochester 2 G,small 283 type, and a variety of lesser known Mopar carbs of the fifties and sixties...
    I think some people mountem backwards for linkage reach.
    Find one with round choke on top side, convert that to electric, autochoke done.

4. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

mmm well I got some flare wrenches today will attempt at removing that 50+ year old hardline first thing in the a.m. any way of checking to see if the carb is tuned right? besides the plugs... while running there is a loud vacum noise.... maybe its normal but it seem loud enough for me to wonder if thats normal with carbs. Also anyway of knowing if the fuel pump is in good order? do i just hook a psi gauge on the feed line to the carb?

thanks everyone

5. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

SO I dsicovered that the top of the carb the horn part I think Its called... that is screwed to the base. Must be lacking a seal or the seal is bad cause as I sprayed carb cleaner on the outside to remove the old gas, so I could check for new leaks on the feed line.. I
    after spraying down the carb the engine tryed stalling due to the fact it was sucking up crab cleaner via the seal between the top and bottom. Will this cause the car to lack power?

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Leak between horn and throttle body only bypasses the aircleaner, but the horn also seals top of main body (within, float and metering parts) and leaks in there could potentially have numerous effects on almost all circuits...
    I think these things are VERY dependent on good gaskets...very odd design, lots of joints. If you are going to run it, get it apart, clean, and get new gaskets in there!

7. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

Thanks Bruce I cut my own replacement gasket and your right the seal that sits over the bowl with the floats was bad so I'm putting everything back together and at the same time I used the stock metal elbow and modified it to fit new K&N Air Cleaner. Just gotta see how it runs :)

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think this carb was a design study for the 4150..."I know! Let's design a carb that has to have PERFECT flanges and gasket seal in 87 places or all the gas will run out on the ground!"

9. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Have experienced the same problem. Was not leaking at the fitting as it appeared to be but from the plug that covers the needle valve.:) :D [​IMG]

10. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

mmmm maybe I am leaking there instead of the fitting because even after putting a new fitting I still get some seapage but nothing like before... I should check that valve. Also the metal plunger that goes up into the carb when the accelarator is depressed has gas leaking out of it as well... Anyone make a rebuild kit for the 885??

11. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

In order to tighten this plug ( after putting a little non hardening Permatex on both surfaces of the hard gasket) make a blade up out of some flat stock to fit the plug. Like this-----[​IMG]