Register now to get rid of these ads!

i need schooled on torching

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldnuts, Mar 19, 2013.

1. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

my knowledge for using a OA torch to heat and remove stuck parts is really slim. that being said i tried to teach my self today on a stuck spring perch and had no success. is it possible that its seriously stuck or am i just not doing it right. i dont know how hot is too hot so i was kind of shy when heating the axle because id rather not ruin anything but the spring perch. how hot should i get it? any tips from you pros on this? thanks

2. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

oh and last night i mixed atf and acetone and let it soak for an hour or so and that didnt do a damn thing either

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Bring it over to my house, I'll show you. ;)

4. Safety first! GOGGLES!!!GLOVES!!! Which head are you using? cutting head? Rosebud? Are you heating the right part of the object thats stuck? Sometimes heat and let it cool 3 times then try to unstickit...sometimes heat part cherry red and try to move it,all depends on what yer doin and heatin...Be carefull above all else! Signed,Fire eater!

5. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

man i wish. i have no one that i know thats into hot rods or mechanics so im literally teaching my self everything.

6. There ya have it! Tis easier to show ya! Now...ya better fuel up!

7. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

im using the rosebud tip. im heating the axle area aroung the spring perch. the wishbones are loose so im tring not to heat them to much. cherry red is what i was scared to do. it wont damage it if i get it that hot?

8. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

Have you tried a hydraulic press? Much less violent that the hammer and torch method.

If it's really sticky, follow redlineracer's advice by repetitive heating and cooling to try to break up the rust between the perch and boss.

9. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

i dont have access to a press . i also mad the mistake of mushrooming tip of the perch. so i cut it bleow the mushroom drilled a hole in the end and welded a rod in it so i can hit it out

10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Seriously though, a rosebud with a decent amount of gas flowing should get it hot enough.

Since we can't see your technique over the interwebs it's hard to tell what you're doing.

Attached Files:

• axle.JPG
      axle.JPG
      File size:
      175.6 KB
      Views:
  11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I like to get it nice and hot and dribble candle wax into it as it cools down, giving it some twisting and whacking.

Sometimes it will take multiple attempts, sometimes I get it the first time.

12. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Ok that pic helped. What does the candle wax do? Mine wasn't near that hot. I heated the area up for a min or so then pounded then repeated. I'm gonna give it another go around tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Can anyone tell me what the candle wax will do and if its necessary in this process?

14. The candle wax gets wicked into the joint much like solder gets wicked Into a joint.
    It breaks the bond of the rust between the axle and the perch bolt .

Try to heat the bolt . Get the ends sticking out as hot as you can, the heat will travel along the bolt.

Here's the trick - get the bolt as close to white hot without turning the axle red. Let it cool and repeat at least three times.

Here's the science - as you heat it the bolt expands in both length and diameter. If you got it hot enough , it shrinks beyond its original size. The heat related expansion and contraction breaks the rust bond. The heat related expansion and contraction is more powerful than a hammer or press - just not as much movement measured in distance.

Hope the helps

15. welded78

welded78
    from ct

i like that candle idea iv never herd that . just in case you dont no its important to let anything you need to reuse cool on its own dont go stick it in the sno bank. and idont know if its true or not but iv herd its a good idea to lightly tap with a ball peen hammer to relive stress.

16. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Where are you located in Nebraska?

17. worken2much

worken2much

Oldnuts,

When I took the kingpins out of my 33 Ford circle track car I had to get after them pretty aggresively both with the heat and the hammer.

I did the self taught thing with torch too. Both cutting & welding. Get along with it ok today. Not a wizard but can get it done.

First thing. Are you using gogles? If you look at the heated part with the naked eye or sunglasses, you probably are not getting it hot enough. Heat the part to orange using goggles then with axle solidly supported, get after it with a 2 or 3 lb hammer. Don't be shy. Those parts have been in place for a long time...they are Zen metal...all is one. It will take some convincing to get them apart.

Where are you in Nebraska? I'm on the border in South Dakota.

Good luck
    Worken2much

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

Just rember when you heat somthing it will expand in every direction if it can. If put a short rod in a vise and heat it red hot the vise will keep it from expanding in one direction. When it cools it shrinks in every ditection and will fall out of the vise. But has to be red hot or close the where the metal loose it's strength

19. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

I'm located in omaha. I'm gonna take all your guys tips and advice and try to get her loose today. Ill keep you guys posted. My main problem was that I was scared to get it that hot because I didn't want to cause damage.

20. Must be at least a 1/2 dozen hambers in Omaha. You might also check out the local schools & colleges for auto workshop classes.

21. sunbeam

sunbeam

Think how hot they get them when thay do a droped axle. Heat it and let it cool back down then try.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  22. budd

budd

some can be so stuck that even with heat and a press thay do not want to move.

23. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same thing on my 39 front axle.
    It was soo stuck I had to drill it out...7/8" drill right through the pin to split it in half...just wanted the bones off.
    PS. I'm ditching the axle.

T

24. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

I was successful at removing the perch. My only question now is is this bad? I got a bit to close to the axle and it splattered
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1363819910.473135.jpg

25. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Yep, too hot!! Yowsers!! What kinda tip were you using?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  26. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

I used a rose bud tip. I was about 1/2 in away from the axle when it splattered. Will that harm the strength of the axle any?

27. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'm no metallurgist but I'd guess so. Worse things have been run.

We'd better get 38Chevy454's attention to this thread, he'd know for sure! :)

28. nickk

nickk

no, i think you'll be alright, they'll take the heat, it doesnt look like you did much damage, lighting grind it, maybe use a 7018 rod (hard but flexable) and weld up the spot. and grind it smooth. just my .02

29. Holy crap that axle was hot to do that .
    What was wrong with heating the bolt as hot as possible ( white) and stopping before the Axle turned red, let cool and repeat ? Like post # 14

The damn things nearly fall out , well maybe they need a tap from someone's little sister but ...

30. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

couldnt tell you if its still good. i wasnt there to watch but you would be supprised ad how many times you can heat something and its still good. did you check to see if it moved at all. most times when you do that it will shrink where you heated it. i would say take some measurements, pull a string line along it and see if when it shrunk it moved in any certain direction. clean it up and take another picture of it. if it looks straight and its made of steel you can probably just fill the pit with weld and buff it out.