Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need help and rear shocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Nick, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Big Nick

Big Nick

This is really the first car I have been messing around with that is not stock from the get go. My 52 AD is some what of a combination of parts is what I am finding out. The guy I bought it from told me it was clipped with a nova front end, turns out its on a complete chasis that looks like could be a malibu. Here's the deal, I was told Malibus had a coil over rear suspension, this truck has leak springs and what looks like fabbed up brackets.

Now I sheared a shock stud on Easter Sunday on our great smooth roads of NY. I need to replace the shocks but not sure what to go with. Its a doube eyelid shock with an extended measurment of 14". Any help is appreciated. I also want to change all the bushings in the leaf springs, is this a standard GM part or do I have to fish around for this also?

2. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

Speedway as well as your local parts store should have the shocks. Monroe has the gas charged ones that are reasonable. You should know the extended,compressed & mounted length.

I would pull the old bushing & measure but it should be pretty standard & again easy to find.

3. Big Nick

Big Nick

4. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I just ordered a set of KYB Gas-adjust shocks and the reason I ordered them is because the KYB tech guy was the MOST helpful to me in picking out a perfect set of shocks for a custom application.

I told him the static (standing length), type of car, horsepower, weight, etc, etc and he provided a PERFECT part number.

Check them out on the internet.

5. mj40's

mj40's

Check with Corvette's from 1963 to 1982 rear shocks. Also most Chevy and GMC truncks from 67 to mid 80's front shocks. Monroe old number is 3033. 9 5/8" closed, 14 7/8 extended with 5/8" eye on each end. I have this one on several rear end set up's.