Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need Chop Advice on 27 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustycarr, Jul 21, 2008.

1. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

Ok i want to chop the top about 8" on my 27 but i want to remove the area above the windshield.(red)

Im thinking i remove the window frame(green)then cut out the red, then chop the body(yellow) to my desired size and then cut the window frame to match..correct or am i smoking tye stick?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Hit me up if you want some help. I'm in San Marcos.

See if you can find a copy of the TLC channel "Rides" show about "Rat Rods" with the Burbank Choppers. They chopped Kahan's yellow Model T Coupe in that episode and have some tips that are good for a virgin.

3. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

thanks ill look that up

4. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

my advice is to not chop it, but that is just me. If you can't find that rides episode let me know, I should be able to take care of you.

5. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

<TABLE class=tborder id=post2481186 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100&#37;" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid" width=175>

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_2481186 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: 26 t chop still need to chop doors
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->here's one I chopped a lil over a year ago, 10".
    cant really help with detailed tech pics,but maybe if you look at the grind marks you can see where all it was cut

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

If you look see where he cut from the top down next to the rear window and on the sides . Make sure you do it like that !

7. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

8. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

Mine is chopped 8" and your welcome to look at it and I can tell you how I did it. These bodies are real easy to chop, you can cut off the red area and use 1 1/4 sq tubing for the header. Another tip is to unbolt the back window center section, put it on the bench and cut out 8" in the middle. Be sure your cuts are straight, then reinstall the bottom low and the top high, you can then follow the lines aound the body. I live at lake travis and will be going to the swap meet in fredricksburg (sp) on friday, give me a call 512-914-8427 Bill

9. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

hot rod bill how did you do your doors did you cut them in hafe .

10. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

i haven't done mine yet, but The windows taper and need to be widened at the top. compensating for the windows seems to make it a meticulous chop.

11. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

Yes you do have to widened them at the top but you dont have to cut them in hafe it makes a mess. I have done two sets now and seperating the skines works the best from the jobs ive seen and its less welding

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  12. blackout

blackout

Hey Robert I read your post on the alignment of the door tops but it was really hard to see the pics. Can you post better pics, I am interested to see just what you did there.

That coupe in the pic, did it belong to another HAMBER before you got it?

13. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

I fixed the thread a little so you can tell what pics go with each step . Try e mailing the pics to your self and blow them up i have them on disk. If you click on them they blow up i think

14. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

When we chopped the top on my T sedan, we did not cut along the yellow lines you have marked. We simply cut the rivets on the top of the post and took 7" out from the top of the post instead of cutting it midway. I had to make a new slot for the top hinge, but I didn't have to worry about the extra pie cutting and welding to get the pillar lined up.

I got a pic that kinda shows it, you can see the weld at the very top of the pillar. The weld on the pillar by the cowl was for a crack, not part of the chop. I used a 1" square tube and welded the bottom 1/2" of the original header panel to it. I haven't thought too much about a windsheild wiper, though.

Attached Files:

15. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

Bill, you takin your T to the swap meet? Shit i didnt even know there was one..

16. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

why do some chop out the back window like this? is it to retain the window size so its not a mail slot?

or is it what bill said? "Another tip is to unbolt the back window center section, put it on the bench and cut out 8" in the middle. Be sure your cuts are straight, then reinstall the bottom low and the top high, you can then follow the lines aound the body"

Attached Files:

17. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

the one he posted was mine,(that's my 56 is in the back ground),i chopped it a couple years ago...
    sold it cheap..wish i knew were it was now....