Register now to get rid of these ads!

i need advice and trouble shooting (brakes)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastbackadam, Oct 2, 2003.

1. fastbackadam

fastbackadam
    from phoenix az

ok I hope this is the right place to post tech questions, I have a 50 chevy fastback with a open rearend from a nova. The previous owner put disc brakes up front and when i put the car in reverse and go down my driveway, I go to use the brakes and they go to the floor, and they dont work for the first pump. If I am going forward all day they are fine, only seems to happen when I go backwards,can anyone help me I dont wanna take it to a brake shop,I have no clue if it is from the front or rear, or something else... I wanna learn..post here or mail me at [email protected] for the help.Adam

2. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

have you made sure the system is bled properly? you might also need some residual pressure valves if the M/C is under the floor.the fluid has a tendency to flow out of the cylinders/calipers when parked on a hill,happened to a friend of mine when i installed a dual m/c in his '51 chev delivery,back when i didn't know any better.you should probably check the adjustment on the rear shoes too,they don't work all that great backwards even when they're adjusted right-george

3. fastbackadam

fastbackadam
    from phoenix az

i bled the system 2 times, and the second didnt show any air, what do you do it it is under the floor and it just tipe to much on a hill, anyway to fix it?

4. jerry

jerry

an under the floor master cylinder should have a 10# residual on the rear brakes nd a 2# residual valve on the frontts. sound like all the brake fluid is draining back to the lowest part of the system, the master cylinder.

is this a single or a dual master cylinder? disc brakes take a bit more volume of fluid to operate. shold have a dual master to work properly.

jerry

5. fastbackadam

fastbackadam
    from phoenix az

i will check tomarrow if i get home early enough, how do i know what # residual valves they, or it has?

6. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

the wilwood type are red or blue and are installed in the line between the m/c and caliper or wheel cylinder. www.speedwaymotors.com has'em,type "brakes" into the search they're about halfway down the page,have a look at those and see if there's anything like that on your car.if not get some-george