Register now to get rid of these ads!

I might buy a LCD welding helmet any tips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gokatgo, Sep 3, 2003.

1. gokatgo

gokatgo
    from Phx AZ

I still use an old flip down welding lid and I welded for a couple hours today and I am sure I could do better work if I could see what I was doing. I was looking at cheap auto darkening lids on e-bay and was wondering if there were any decent budget ones out there. Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Chris

2. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, they're your eyes. I'd go about finding the best helmet first and then worrying about cost. If it turns out the cheaper helmets are just as good, go ahead and get one. Go talk to a welder, save for that, go talk to a welding supply store guy. I might get cheap weld gloves, or chaps, but I sure as shit didn't skimp on my lense. I haven't looked for one of those fancy hoods because they are kinda spendy. I'm willing to bet that the cheaper helmets don't shade as fast or the batteries don't last as long, just guessing on what the real differences are. Let us know what you find out.

3. gokatgo

gokatgo
    from Phx AZ

There seems to be some sort of standards like DOT or Snell for motorcycle helmets. And they all advertise quick darkening times. Is there really a difference. Why does the safety flag alway come up when ever I post stuff. Do you have air bags in your old car? Are you sombody's Mom? Maybe I should wear a helmet when crossing the street.

4. gokatgo

gokatgo
    from Phx AZ

Sorry about the sarcasm...

5. I bought a Jackson and I'm real happy with it. What I also like is the BIG window. It was like going from a 13 inch Black & White to a full color big screen TV. [​IMG]

6. gokatgo, I use one @ work, all damn day, and I can tell you this, DON'T CHEAP OUT, spend the money, they're your ONLY set of eyes, and the cheapos don't last as long, I had a cheapie, 4 months, spent a LOT of money on my current one, 19 months and counting........

7. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

My dad used to say "10-dollar helmet for a 10-dollar head" I guess the same could be said about your eyes? I have a Lincoln auto-darkening helmet and it works awesome... this coming from a guy who has to use his eyes to focus a camera. Don't skimp on brakes, don't skimp on doctor visits and for the sake of your sight, don't skimp on a welding helmet.

8. TV

TV

I bought a lower priced lid at first,the lens was good but the helmit was junk. Bought a new one cost about $125.00 and I love it. The $69 buck will work fine,it just gets out of shape with any hard use.--TV [​IMG]

9. GreggAz

GreggAz

hey chris, come on down to the shop we have four different auto helmets, ya can try em all if ya want, range from CHEAP, through nice, to BANK BUSTER! we dont see much of ya, so come on down!

10. TWO

TWO
    from Wisconsin

you can't see while you're welding or you just mean when you're starting? I've used those solar powered ones and they're not as dark as the number they claim. I get a spot in my vision after welding with them for awhile. Sorry I don't remember the brand. I know people who do production work who still use flip downs. Autodarkens are really nice to use most of the time when they work right but it's just a luxury. I'd use a flip down for any project stuff if I was worried about affording an autodarkening helmet (and I am). If I can only afford quality or convenience but not both, I'll take quality. Anyone can afford a decent flip down.

11. What TV said...An inexpensive one will have perform as good as a high-dollar one. The trade offs are (1)field of vision; large vs. small and (2) the helmet itself; cheapies tend to have flimsy construction with a crappy band that won't stay adjusted. It's not too difficult to install the lens/circuit from a cheapie in a decent non-darkening helmet but you've got to figure your time is worth something too. In the long run it pays to spend the century note extra.

12. Chuck Fish

Chuck Fish

Bought mine from Snap-On about 10 yrs. ago.It was big $'s at the time ,but it works great.

Chuck Fish

13. gokatgo

gokatgo
    from Phx AZ

Cool, thanks for the tips. I was welding in the bright daylight today with the old flip down and had trouble seeing even with an arc lit. I can see great at dusk with my old helmet, maybe it's a contrast thing. I thought the cheapies might seem like they were from toy's r us. But if I spend over $100 I won't have anything to throw at the wall when I burn myself. Hey Greg I will stop by the shop and check those helmets out befor buying one. Maybe sometime next week.

14. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

You weenies with auto darkening helmets AREN'T TRAD. "Back in the day" they hadda make their own damn lenses with a piece of non-safety glass and candle soot. You are a crummy welder if you really have to see what you're dooing, you're sposta remember where everything is before you flip your lid down...

kidding! [​IMG] I don't know shit!

I'm still afraid of those auto-darkening ones, I've heard stories of people getting headaches at the end of the day with expensive ones, even... Since I've shot myself in the eyes too many times with lasers doing psychadelic laserium shows, I don't wanna risk any more damage. (I see fine, but I've been four eyes for a while, due to computers I guess, eye doc sees no damage on my retinas from the lasers, still...) I still can't afford one...

Heres what I do when I can't see what I'm welding: I grab an old gooseneck desklamp, pull out the lame 60 watt bulb, and put in a big fat spotlight like what you put in one of those motion sensor lights above your garage door... put it a few inches over the work... THEN ican see it under the helmet.

pretty sneaky huh...

-J

15. river1

river1

i've had a jackson jouneyman electronic helmet for about 8 years and i love it. the only thing i didn't like about it was the small viewing area, at the time small was the only thing available, so i recently stepped up to the jackson nex gen eqc. all i can say is WOW.

NEXT GEN EQC INFO

there are three manufacturers of top of the line helmets jackson, speedglas and optrel all make great helmets and you can't go wrong with any of them. i just wanted the largest viewing area available, 9sq inches.

later jim

16. I agree with what TWO said. Save your money and spend it on your car and go buy a big window flip down with a #10 shade. You could go as light as a #8 but thats getting on the light side. My shop bought us all nice auto tint helmets at work and I still use my old flip down.
    How clean is tour lens? Lots of splatter marks?

17. Well, gokatgo, I bought one of the cheap $49 auto darkening solar helmets on E-gay a while back. I like it a lot. Much nicer than the old flip down style I have used for years. I still have the habit of flipping it up after welding though even though it goes back to clear, old habits......

I agree the helmet and band are kinda cheap, but since i do not use it everyday it is fine for me. I say get one of the cheap ones and try it out. If you weld for a long time or everyday it probably pays to get the higher quality ones. My cheap one works great and I have no complaints at all, in fact I posted back about it couple months ago saying how nice it was in comparison to the old flip down style.

18. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

I bought a Jackson at a swap meet a few years ago and it is the balls for serious welding BUT it is heavy and not fun in 100 degree heat & humidity. Im glad I dont have to do this for a living 40 hours a week.
    Also got a $45 import that is flyweight and just fine for intermittent sheet metal work with the 110V portable MIG.

Ive used the higher priced Astro (they have a cheap one also) and it is a real nice helmet; discount price is around $90. Sort of in between my pair as far as weight and quality; made in Italy.

19. jdubbya

jdubbya

My vote is for the Jackson EQC. My work bought one of these to try out a few years back, I don't know how I got along without it. They should be under $200.00 and I feel it is worth every cent.