Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I know it sucked last year but anyone going to indy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brasshead, Jun 4, 2015.

1. I used to attend GG's in Scottsdale , Az for the swap meet. It cost $20.00 to get in. If you just wanted to spectate and see the venders that's kind of spendee Especially after driving 3 hours one way.

2. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Car #574 - those numbers lie! They skip numbers at all the big shows - ask any promoter.
    If you want a better idea of a car count sit in the parking lot where the cars check in and register. I've done it for years at Indy because I like to see the cars coming and going, and small talk with the owners. At IMS and the Indy Fair grounds the number of cars were way down compared to IRP. Last year was so poor I'm not going today for the first time since 2004.

3. brasshead

brasshead
    from indiana

I will be there tomorrow, have to try and get a head count.

4. rooman

rooman

Actually the NHRA event in Bowling Green helped the Indy Goodguys deal as having two events back to back made a trip from the west coast viable for the nitro cars. Also quite a few sportsman racers did the same thing, hitting both races. The NHRA did have a hand in the demise of the IRP event as they raised the rental cost right about the time that the economy was in the tank and people were traveling more selectively due to high gas costs. The events were paired for quite a long time as this is the 13th year of the NHRR at BG and at the last IRP Goodguys in 2010 there was more than a full field of top fuel cars present (and the same at BG the following weekend). Once Goodguys cut off the drag racing and moved to IMS (later in the year) the fuel car numbers dropped to the point where only four cars ran at BG in 2012.
    Generally events run by promoters (rather than clubs) tend to go in cycles like restaurants. They start off with a big bang and lots of publicity and are on a lot of people's must go list. Then after a while they have a sameness to them and people start looking at somewhere else to go for a new experience and the numbers fall off. As mentioned by other posters the swap meet deal has been killed by the internet and the rising cost of participating relative to the potential return. The same applies to commercial vendors although I will dispute the comment that one poster made about the Snap-On guy being the only vendor present last year--did you not look at the inside vendors. Again the numbers were down for the previously stated reasons but they were there.

Roo

Hnstray likes this.
  5. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

And you make it sound like it is a bad thing

Hnstray likes this.
  6. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

Maybe 150 cars at noon today, Some nice stuff a few I have not seen before , indoor swapmeet small but respectable for 2015 standards

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Those of you who constantly carp about the notion that these organizations "are in it for the profit" sound like idiots! If YOU were running a nationwide organization with a huge investment required to operate multiple events, tell me how YOU would BE WILLING to do it as a non-profit entity just so the folks LIKE YOU could be entertained at the lowest possible cost. Tell me how you are such a self sacrificing, benevolent individual, THEN I will listen to your unrealistic whining.

They are in business, trying to fill a demand, and thereby make living. How is that ANY different from any other venture? The fact that it relates to your hobby doesn't change the economics of it.

Ray

8. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

There is nothing wrong with trying to make a profit by doing something you love, it's the American way. I think this is just an example of being a good or bad business man.
    To make money, a business needs to listen to their customers and give them what they want. In turn, people will return each year and stay longer. All of this results in a loyal growing customer base and higher profits.
    Or, you could take a well oiled machine, get lazy, and only provide the services YOU think the customers want, or only the ones that your sponsors want you to provide. Then when the flow of people slow down, you cut the services even more to match the lower generated income. Eventually, you are left sitting there by yourself trying to figure out why no one wants to go to the biggest shows of the year.
    It's just simple business. Take care of what takes care of you, and you will always be taken care of.

Texas57 likes this.
  9. slammed

slammed

Drop the drama Ray. You're in these 'business' threads w/the same rebuttal. This web site was in part the result of the GG type shows & cars & attitudes being what they are. How many GGs have you attended? I did far too many when one year the picture became all to clear. CONTRIVED.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Sure, I'm in these threads, same as I am in the frequent requests for "pinion angle" info and countless other repetitious threads because someone different from the last time has raised the question. How is that any different than this?

You and I have "history" here,......me commenting....you "slamming" my comments. Drama? On whose part? I thought we had this resolved a couple of years ago........I guess not. But doesn't it bore you? I know it does me.

As for attending GG events, I have attended many of them over at least the past 15 plus years....Columbus, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Des Moines.....several times each....same with NSRA events, going back even farther.

Luckthirteenagogo, I understand the success or failure of a business depends on satisfying the customer base. If GG doesn't meet the expectations, they will suffer.....but the people complaining here might be more influential directing their comments to GG directly.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    scrap metal 48 likes this.
  11. Beezer

Beezer
    from Michigan

Thought I'd give Indy a try one last time. Haven't been there since the drag racing days at IRP.

What a "TURD" of a show! What a JOKE !

Came in today by 9:00 am and nobody there!
    Was gone by 2:30 pm as were many others. Could have thrown a Grenade down the fairground streets and wouldn't have hurt a soul.

This is most DEFINATELY the end for me !!!

Ratio this year of Hot Rods to Muscle and New trash ..... 75%-80% New and Muscle, to at best ..... 20%-25% Hot Rods.

Not even bothering to go back on Saturday !!! Not worth the effort or the time.

If you like that stop-n-go, and turn to the left, and turn to the right, and go through the S turn, then maybe this is for you.

It's a shame that this new blood running the reins has got so far away from what this Hot Rodding thing used to be and still should be is just flat out ridiculous!

Plain and simple I'M DONE, I'M OUT OF HERE !!!!!

Atwater Mike and slammed like this.
  12. butch27

butch27

I personally don't care for the Auto cross stuff. If they want that -let them join SCCA.

Atwater Mike, Texas57 and slammed like this.
  13. Just a thought: Frog follies is pre-49, costs $15 and you get a free t-shirt and a free meal. 3000+ cars and a nice swap meet in the good part of town and the best collective attitude of any show I've ever been to. (big or small) This show is flat out about having fun! I drive 500 mile each way and smile all the way.

metal man, bobkatrods and i.rant like this.
  14. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

No comparison between the Frog Follies which is one of the best rod runs I've ever been to and the cheapest. Great swap meet, dinner, doughnuts, coffee, t shirt and auto related gift all for $15. Also no rip offs at the concession stands. All profits go to charity.
    Goodguys dying a slow death. The days of making bags of money for them is over.

Atwater Mike and i.rant like this.
  16. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I gotta agree, Frog Follies is by far the best venue and real"rod run"I have ever attended, and have been running since the early '60s.
    Well organized, everything inexpensive, easy access, and the bonus is that the E'ville Iron give the money away to charities every year. This in it's self makes you want to attend. Did I say only PRE '49 may attend.

i.rant likes this.
  17. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

First It is not DALLAS It is the speedway in Ft Worth,,,The numbers were weak but weather was involved,,However it really has not grown like you would expect it has hovered around 1800-2000 cars at best,For me it does not have a lot to offer other than see some old friends,Drink a little cold beer and B S...That should be worth the price of admission?.But for any long distance people just a hand few a hotels close by and restaurants,,Unless you want to drive a little..It just is kinda lack luster,I go because it is close otherwise I wouldn't make the trip

18. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

After GG Columbus The Only Other Show I Go To Is The James Dean/Ducktail Run Combo.
    These Guys Top Them All , Friendly Organizers, Awesome Show, Even Better Swap Meet, and
    You Do NOT Have To Join A Club To Participate. To Hell With The Big Business End Of It. It Is Worth The 10 Hour Trip To Get There.

19. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

The best Hot- Rod get together is the Frog follies!!!! I hope everyone on the Hamb can come and enjoy it Don from N. W. Indiana

i.rant likes this.
  20. as roo man said the back to back weekends were great. no more gg for me. gg are you listening.

21. rooman

rooman

They way that I understand it there will be one more year at the fairgrounds (3 year contract) and then the hope is that the event will move back to IRP (although that depends a little on the NHRA (available dates and $$$)

Roo

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

So... who took pictures?!?!?!? Gary

23. Retro61

Retro61

The Bowling Green Hot Rod Reunion is the best of them all! I've been to Goodguys, and NSRA Events, and Bowling Green tops them all!

24. Gman0046

Gman0046

Retro61 has it right. NHRA HRR in Bone Green 10 days away. Can't wait. Why would anyone pay their hard earned money to participate in a "Lawn Chair" event when there's non stop Nostalgia drag racing?

25. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Amen, Gman0046!
    KK

26. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

If it goes back to IRP I'll attend again - I miss watching old hot rods drag race!!

bobkatrods likes this.
  27. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

Ive attended countless events in my 70 years.I just came back from NSRA York Nats .I dont know how many people attended but I was #2556 or thereabouts.I registered on Thursday afternoon.My guess is they had at least 3500 cars.There is a great mix of cars there. Certainly not as many hot rods as in the old days but more than most traditional only shows.I still meet with people there that I only see once a year and miss some those are gone.Its too bad that some folks spend so much time complaining about the cost.Most of us have to prioritize.I dont spend my money on NFL season tickets but I dont bitch and moan about the cost either.Sorry for the rant.And my vote for the best event is the Syracuse Nationals.Great venue run by the nicest folks.

i.rant likes this.
  28. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I recently attended the 10th annual Nashville Goodguys. It was very good as usually. A good mix of cars from high dollar to low buck. I have been to Columbus and Phoenix and enjoyed both.

29. You don't have to go to Goodguys. You don't have to go to the NSRA. There are plenty of homespun events that are local and fun. Here's a few I like:
    Texas Thaw
    Texas Nostalgia Nationals
    Hot Rod Hundred Reliability Run (OKC, SWMO, St Louis, North Texas, AZ)
    HAMB Drags <-- never miss
    Lonestar Roundup
    Day of the Drags
    Hot Rod Reunion
    California Hot Rod Reunion
    Eagle Field Drags
    Bonneville speed week <--- bucket list
    LA Roadster Show
    GNRS
    Rodder's Journal Revival
    The Race of Gentlemen
    Hot Rod Hill Climb
    Stray Kat 500
    Starliner
    ...and many more that I'm forgetting. If you made it to these events, that's a pretty full year of Hot Rodding! I for one, do not need the big organizations for events anymore.

30. Is it just me or is this thread getting boring?
    Nobody is ever going to like every show.
    You go and if you like it you go again.
    If you don't you find somewhere else.
    Sometimes like the GGs the show is so big
    you can't see it all anyhow.
    They left Rhinebeck for Springfield.
    So I don't go. Big Deal!
    Many times at least for me, a Friday nite cruise
    can be more fun than a big show.
    This is supposed to be fun.
    I'm going for a drive!!

i.rant and Hnstray like this.