Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I just bought a 1946-1948 Ford Woodie Station Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slim tempo, Sep 23, 2015.

1. slim tempo

slim tempo

Will tow it out of the barn tomorrow. The engine is a 6 cylinder, 3 on the tree, radio delete plate, spare tire cover, trim rings, dog dish hubcaps, all glass, middle seat, rotted floors, interior slatted inner roof, most of the wood frame rotted but there, all doors there but rotted. I'm trying to get an idea of what I am looking at for a project. The best part, I paid $350 for it. What am I looking at for expense?

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

About $40-50k for the wood! I sold a solid floor 46 but sheetmetal was really rough an no wood for $4500 so I'd say you still did real good!!

3. Just to redo the wood, if you're an accomplished cabinet maker, probably $3-5K in materials. If you have to write a check to somebody else, multiply by at least ten.

4. Mark T

Mark T

Hey Slim,
    Get in touch with Sawzall here on the HAMB, he was reproducing some of the wood for one that he's building.
    Good luck with your project...
    Mark

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

flip it and double your money, and save yourself a lot of work and $$$

Dave Mc likes this.
  6. Lust 4 Rust

Lust 4 Rust
    from MN

There is a Woodie shop in Somerset,Wis. New wood body was $18,000, that was years ago. Wood by Whiskers. 1-715-247-2513

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

First, post some pictures pictures. Second if you are planing to keep it, join the National Woodie Club. If you only paid $350 for it and it is fairly complete you hit the lottery. It's not the wood that is the issue, it's all the brackets and other parts that are just about impossible to find. Floors will require a talented metal man. The Kline brothers in Manchester PA are one of the best for wood, 717-266-8696, Tom can give you an honest estimate. Even if you invested $40k it would be worth double that when it's done. Pictures!!

9. X2 on Sawzall- he is close enough to you (in PA), is great at his craft, and is good folk!

10. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

hope it has all the special brackets, Expect 18 to 25k for wood... but the brackets and unique woodie items are what can get expensive or very hard to find. unless you are ready to get deep into it financially I would think about flipping it. should make a solid return on your investment..

Sawzall is a resident expert on woodies since he has several...and a fellow member of the National Woodie Club (he was a regional direcror, might still be).

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

anyone who would pay $25,000 for wood must have a head made of wood if it is only $5,000 worth of wood. the guys that build this stuff must be must laughing all the way to the bank at the fools..

12. sawzall

sawzall

Ironically I have passed on several 46 - 48s that were in this shape for less.. and for far more..
    while these cars do command large prices, this comes as a direct result of the level of commitment necessary for their restoration.

I chuckle at every add that says "worth every bit of XX,000 when restored" because often.. it takes XXX,000 to restore one...

although I dont have a complete 46 - 48 wagon at this time.. I do have some floor parts, and ve MOST of the brackets, regulators, and other "hard parts" for 46 - 48 ford wagon..

And while I have some original wood, and could reproduce any of the wood for these.. there are several other reputable shops who can do the same..

sadly there are several other less reputable businesses who will take your money and whom will deliver you JUNK..

in the wagon business.. 5 k will get you a home depot woodie.. or worse..

Pewsplace likes this.
  13. fatboytoys55

fatboytoys55
    from cen cal

I would say "great find!"
    I think expense is only going to be determined by how much of it you decide to do or by what you will have done.

14. F-head

F-head

I think there has been some doors for one of these for in parts for sale recently.
    or mabee they were on fordbarn
    anyway good luck
    what a great project
    b

15. woody jim

woody jim

IF YOU DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO DO IT, THEN I WOULD SELL IT , ITS COSTLY TO BUILD

16. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Just plan on spending lots of money for the wood. In LA complete new wood for 46-48 finished and varnished by very talented woodworkers will set back about $50K. You can purchase wood in the Midwest for half that.

17. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I noticed that you had it on E-Bay a couple of weeks after you bought it. I don't know about restoring this car. My original post was before I saw pictures of the car. Pictures show LOTS of expensive work required to bring this one back. You may want to think about parting it out. Sure it COULD be worth $100K but this car needs a lot. If you paid $350 for it you can probably get your money back by selling the parts.