Register now to get rid of these ads!

i have a brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by forsakenfew, Dec 8, 2003.

1. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

the car: 1960 pontiac catalina. originally a manual brake car. booster from bonneville was installed at some point.

the initial problem: car pulled badly to drivers side under braking.

the work done: rebuilt the master cylinder, bled it. rebuilt the front wheel cylinders, replaced shoes, bled cylinders.

the new problem: brakes do work, and no longer pull, but car has a seriously HARD brake pedal. now when i say the brakes work, i mean the stop the car, but not like i know they should. almost feels like the booster is no longer working, but i've driven manual break full size cars that had a better brake feel than this.

any initial ideas? did i miss something simple? PLEASE tell me that i just missed something easy.

2. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

Sounds like you have a problem with the booster...its either faulty or not hooked up correctly, is the pedal constantly hard or does it build up after a few pushes. Manual brakes are easier to push than power brakes with a bad booster. There might be a check valve on the booster that is worn...I had this problem on a 66 T-bird once, went through vaccum lines, brakes lines and almost bought a new booster, then someone mentioned this valve which is on the booster where the vaccum line connects...it was pretty cheap, 8 bucks or so and I was on my way.

3. lownslow

lownslow

erik ,
    dude i suck i havent had a chance to send that catalog yet ....did ya still want it or you could order from their website just as easy ....lemme know...sorry

4. fordiac

fordiac
    from Medina, Oh

dont forget rubber lines deteriorate over time.

but, it does sound like your booster is kaput. check vaccum lines and the big line going to the booster before replacing.

5. I would agree with the malfunctioning power booster.

Check and see if the vacuum line is still attached and the vacuum check valve is in place in the right direction and working properly. Next if everything seems to be in order, remove the nuts that hold the master cylinder to the booster and check between them. If the cylinder is wet or the inside of the booster seems wet you will need to remove the booster from the car and drain it of fluid. Some boosters have an O-ring seal on the master cylinder and if it is in poor condition replace it. Otherwise there should be a seal around the pushrod, remove it and then drain the booster.

At this point if you have removed fluid from the booster or if your master cylinder is wet and you have not replaced it recently you will need to do so now.

I have seen it so bad that the brake fluid inside the booster will keep you from depresing the pedal and stoping the car, very rare mind you but it can happen.

6. Did you get a new master cylinder to match the Catalina or the Bonneville??

7. Mart

Mart

Try applying the footbrake with the engine stopped, then start the engine. if the booster is working, you should feel your foot go down a bit as the engine starts.
    Might give a pointer as to whether the booster is working.
    Mart.