Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Hate to be "That Guy" but..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TairyHesticles, Nov 13, 2012.

1. I know this thread will most likely be deleted and I hate to be a thorn in the side to the Admins/Mods, so if it does indeed get shut down I apologize in advance. I can't think of another way to get a hold of someone for this than through this site. I should have graduated last year but I didn't, I was a few subjects behind because I chose work/travel over school (BIG mistake) so I have English 12 and Comm 12 left then I SHOULD be able to graduate. :mad: Anyways the assignment I'm on at the moment says I have to "Interview" someone who actively has a part in something I'm passionate about. Which is obviously cars, I tried to think of another way to find someone for this but I can't. I only have to think of 10 questions and it doesn't really have to be anything indepth as long its not just "yes" or "no" questions.

If any of ya guys wouldn't mind helping me out, I'd appreciate it a lot. Just shoot me a PM or something.

Thanks (and sorry :eek: I know this is off-topic, I'm just stuck) in advance.
    :eek:

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey man, good luck. I hope this stays and you get some help!

Take the advice of this dumb AJ (Soldier(Army Jerk)) stick at it, life gets easier when you have a piece of paper that lets others know that despite appearances you are not truly as dumb as you look!!
    I managed to acquire a degree in 'Paramedical Science' and one in 'Nursing'. (Yeah a girls job)In the Army. Found out officers hate it when the new private soldier in their platoon is more qualified and experienced than they. I quite enjoyed it.
    Like I said, keep up the good work and good luck. Maybe PM some guys like Kiwi Kev, 40StudeDude, 3wLarry, great guys that have been around!!

Doc.

3. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ask lots of "open questions" when you do it, If you arent sure what they are now is a good time to get something else out of this exercise by learning about the different types of questions. Good luck with it. "School is cool".

4. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

If it was easy, anyone could do it.

Also remember this... if you go out for further schooling, for a trade or college, whatever.... there is a world of difference between being in school because you have to be and being in a school because you want to learn something. In adult schools there isn't all the B.S. like in kiddie school, so keep at it.

:D

-W

5. joee

joee

hot rods are great so don't get me wrong but don't do ur paper on cars or car guys. exspand your horizons and learn about something you don't know about....the more well rounded you are the better.

6. Thanks for the advice, I somehow got it into my mind that a part time construction job and travelling around was better than school! Doesn't everyone hate the guy that makes em look bad? Thanks again, its appreciated!

Thank ya! Just trying to get it over with. :p

7. I was hoping to get into the local colleges welding/mechanics course so theres more motivation to apply, knowing it should be relatively BS free! Thanks, man!

Most of the people I personally know all do stuff I have 0 interest in. So I figured if I'm gonna do something might as well do it on something I enjoy. I get what you're saying though.

8. I alwaze felt that goin tu skuol and getten a duploma wuz overatid.

9. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

What he said!

10. BTW, can anyone borrow me some money, I can't seem to sale the car I have listed in the classifiid sectioun.

11. Streight8

Streight8

Travel is as good an educational course as any one can get to develop well rounded real life job skills. Will pm you a contact for a fellow I know in Kelowna who may be just the ticket.

12. TairyHesticles,

English bummer dood. At least you are not chemistry short of grabbing the brass ring. My last class was chemistry because they cancelled my physics course for lack of interest. The next available Physics course I was not qualified to take (didn't have the proper prerequisits) so while I was taking my chemistry course I was also tutoring physics. Not qualified to take the class but qualified to tutor. That's ranks right up there with military intellegence. ;)

Knuckle down and get it done. You shouldn't have any problems finding someone to interview here at all. Lots of deeply involved and talented folks to converse with, and there is no reason in the world that you can't embellish the facts a little to make your paper come out. After all if it is journalistic as most interviews are it is embellished by design. :D

If you are having problems with your interview questions PM me with the requirements of the assignment and I'll try and noodle with you a bit and come up with some questions.

Benno<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_8345255", true); </SCRIPT>

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How much time do you have? Any idea as to the ?s to ask or do you have them? Is "what questions...?" what you're seeking?

Mix it up and do both in one assignment. Sample: In school I was also focused on cars, mostly hot rods and drag racing. In a junior high art class after several assignments that I did car related, the teacher announced to the class she had an assignment that would make me have to something other than cars. She wanted something to announce the coming of spring. I designed a drag poster that had a couple pro stocks in it with some wild lettering annoncing the "NHRA Spring Nationals". Believe it or not she failed my art work stating it had nothing to do with the season. I had originally dated it for May, once pointed out and she changed the 'F' to a 'D'.

Pick something. Restoration, lead work, kustom history, coachbuilders, obsolete or orphaned car companies. There's an infinite number of interesting topics within what all of us here like. Lots to learn too, and not just for a gearhead like you.

14. JAWS

JAWS

The effort you put in on anything will net you a similar result. The decisions you make now will affect you the rest of your life. Take heed to the advise given from these guys.

Remember cars are just cars, the relationship with the people are what's important.

15. Hellfish

Hellfish

Education is important. Traveling and gaining real world experience are also important, but education is more important for now.

Is your question that you need someone to interview, or that you need some questions to ask, or both?

There are plenty of people on the HAMB to interview. Why not make it more interesting and interview one of your car-building heroes? If not, the "average" guy on the HAMB will fit the bill and could be just as interesting.

As for questions... what have you learned from class? :)

What would YOU want to know about another car nut? What would you ask if you were meeting that person for the first time? What kind of questions could you ask that would make your subject (the car nut) more interesting to the average reader, who probably doesn't know a flathead v8 from a Phillips head screwdriver?

WHY are you so passionate about cars? How did you get started? etc

This shouldn't be a challenge or a chore for you, it should be FUN!

16. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Travelling etc is well and good and expands the mind just make sure you've got a good trade and qualifications behind you first. Then you can go anywhere. What ever the job is just make sure it's something with transferable skills which may help you change job at a later date. My trade was an automotive glazier and after 10 years ran a training facility training folks on the job skills. I had to take my training/assessing qualifications to do that which i passed. The glazing game is tough on your body and my shoulders gave out after 23 years humping glass about and i needed a change in direction. As i had training qualifications thats what i went into and added some teaching qualifications aswell. I'm now in a tutoring type of role.

Sorry for the long post, good luck

Dan:cool:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  17. Heres an idea. How about you post your questions and everyone on here can either answer one or all of them? Then you choose the answers you like the most.

18. A few guys stepped up and offered their help! Some good advice on this thread and once again the HAMB saves my hide! Thanks guys, it's appreciated.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. redo32

redo32

How about posting your 10 questions here. when you get 100 guys responding you can write a paper for a PHD.

20. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I know others said expand what you write about, but I see nothing wrong with writing about cars. That's what helped me survive school. I remember writing papers over Enzo Ferrari, John DeLorean, Henry Ford, and others. Because I was genuinely interested in the subject matter, I was able to develop a unique writing style made my life a lot easier in college.

21. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

You don't write like an idiot, so you must have paid some attention in school. That should make the two classes easy. I like the idea above, just post your questions here, then rake in the answers and build a good paper. That would be some easy and fun research.

Best wishes, BobW
    Retired Teacher

22. Where in BC do you live? There is a ton of very talented people that would love to help you out . I think BC has some of the best talent on the planet.

23. East Kootenays! :p

24. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

I would post the questions here, get flooded with great answers from the worlds greatest hot rodders and then email this thread to your teacher. BAM! Tell him or her that you were " going green' and didn't want to further ruin the environment by typing it all back out onto paper and that this verson has a better "feel' to it anyway.
    Good Luck!

25. My Mom and Step Dad like in Castlegar.

26. afaulk

afaulk

Well, how's it going. PM me if I can help. I spent 4 yrs in Spokane, loved to vacation in the Kootenays and coastal BC. Beautiful country. Good luck!

27. Streight8

Streight8

Oh man, I just had to say they all came from Saskatchewan too!

Sorry, to great a straight line to walk away from.:D