Register now to get rid of these ads!

I had to cut the balls off my car to fix it!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by temper_mental, Mar 30, 2009.

1. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I had to tear down the heads to fix the blown head gaskets after the mile. Looked up and he looked so sad. Only had two cylinders not affected. Way to much boost head gaskets gave out. If you play with the speed demon sometimes she bites a big chunk out of your ass:)

Last thing about the race I burned five gallons of c116 in a mile!!!!

Attached Files:

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang talk about a huge carbon footprint!! :D

3. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

sucks homie, but at least tou finished.... how fast???

4. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

151 let out of the gas half track babied it in will try again should be better.

5. If you have any Hope of that motor living with a Puffer on top and overdriving it, You better O-Ring the block and heads. That style gasket will never live with any Boost. O-Ring and Copper is the only way. Looks like you had some Fun for a little while.
    The Wizzard

6. I would go with annealed copper head gaskets if your pushing that much boost

7. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I drive it on the road quite a bit.
    I was told copper would work harden and give me hell.
    I went this route it was pricey but one of my only options http://www.cometic.com/est.aspx

8. I've never heard that before related to a failuer of the gasket. We get a full season on them baring any Foo Paws below. When I tear the motor down if the Copper gasket still is sealed I anneal it with a Propane torch and re install it. Never had a problem yet. It appears as long as you have a good clamp force, getting hard from heat is no problem. The only failuer I've had in a Copper was directly related to a Fuel Pump failuer and a lean burn. The gasket wasn't the only part I replaced.
    The Wizzard

9. ctmcca

ctmcca

Glad to see that was the only thing that went wrong. Looks like you have alot of fun, would have loved to have been there. Can't wait to see it back on the road.

10. S.F.

S.F.

Well hey, just look at it this way. At least you didn't experience PSD (parts seeking day light)

11. FuelFC

FuelFC

Temp sorry for the carnage. You did good. Your safe. And you got back.

I'd seriously talk to a few experts blown engine builders on the gasketing. I have never heard nor experienced issues stated with the copper units. Used them and re-used them (yes re-used old ones) on fuel cars to fairly wicked blown street combos. As long as surface decks are good and you are o-ringed with good fasteners (studs)following torque and re-torque procedures should have no worries.

Good luck. Just a flesh wound and a dent to the wallet. Weld it, surface it, ring it, gasket it and go!