Register now to get rid of these ads!

i gots me a switch pitch...now i gots some questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skajaquada, Jan 15, 2008.

1. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

i stumbled upon a switch pitch 400 with converter for $50 yesterday. came out of a running car when the guy sold the wildcat engine for more than he paid for the car. i think i'm just going to drop the pan and valve body, take a look at the clutches, flush it and replace the filter. provided all that's good i will put it behind the 461 olds. here's where i have some questions...

1. how can i have the converter checked to see if i need a new one?

2. need to wire the thing up for the kickdown and stator pitch, have a couple ideas on that too. best thinking and experience
    a. wire to throttle with factory style switch and call it good.
    b. wire it to switch in the dash and control it myself.
    c. combo of both. can have it in full low stall, full high stall or automatic through factory switch. this is to make it more of a sleeper, launch with the 1800 stall first then switch it on and have the 2800 ;)

3. those with experience, have any good resources for parts or insight to give me?

4. how do i test the function of the detent/stator solenoid...just apply power and make sure it operates?

5. anything else i need to know or look out for?

2. Wouldn't you want to do it the other way around? I thought high stall was for launches, but sucked on the freeway.

Also, you may want to move the BBs around, and drill some well-placed holes, in the plate between the valve body, ala-shift kit.

3. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

it is for the launches...launch it with the low stall to make them think it's not as fast, then get them with the high stall after the fact :p

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

What year is it? If it's a 64-66 then the Nailhead pattern won't bolt up to your olds at all...

http://www.buickperformance.com/switchpitch.htm

5. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

I had one in my big block chevelle and it worked pretty slick. I had a momentary contact switch on the shifter that operated the converter. I ran a big cam so you needed your finger on the button for stop signs to prevent stalling. If you have any wave plates in the clutch packs replace them with flat ones to firm up the shifts. Find yourself a good tranny guy, he should be able to tell you some easy valve body mods. I ran a 65 cutlass converter; they are smaller diameter and have a higher stall speed. I can't remember if this was a direct slip on or if the front shaft had to be changed. 65-67 f-85's and buick specials used this converter.

6. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

it's the correct bellhousing for my olds, the tag is missing to find out the exact year though. might be more identifying marks on it but i need to degrease it first ;)

7. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

nevermind on the no tag thing. found it and now i'm confused...

72-OR-183241

my book says the OR code means it's a th200, which wasn't around in '72 and it's obviously a th400 by the pan. it also has the two prong connector for the detent solenoid which is supposed to indicate a switch pitch. too bad they didn't make a switch pitch in '72. anybody have a better book than mine to decode the tag?