Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical i found a 454. ugh

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lato, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

so, i know nobody likes newer stuff here and neither do i. but a buddy of mine has this big ass camper, itasca motorhome 78' sitting at his place and told me i can have the 454 in it and trans. so i am peeling this thing apart. i have yet to get the numbers off it to really get a rundown of what kind of 454 i got, guess im just wondering if someone has any idea what i got. ill try to get some casting numbers after work today.

2. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

[​IMG]

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 and Tickety Boo like this.
  3. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

obviously its a smog turd. has all that junk on it for 78, i think its a mark iv W porcupine. i been ripping shit off to try and get to it and its been a pain cutting and yanking stuff off. but i think tomorrow im gonna yank the motor out and update. i got a 37 chev frame i pay stick it on and possibly start a new project like i need one, all i need is a old 32 body to slap on it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

There aren't too many different 454's to worry about. It's a truck and may have a steel crank. Other than that they are good motors to build.

Pat

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

Well, the price was right. Nothing wrong with a '54, cubes is cubes. Do what needs to be done to it, call it good.

chryslerfan55 and Jim Lato like this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

........and maybe even a 4-bolt main block.......

7. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

indeed, thats what i was thinking, heads and cam. go through it and slap it in something cool. the price was definitely right!! i really havent goofed with big blocks much, always small. so im curious to see what comes of this lug

8. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

im hoping i scored a 4 bolt!!!

9. 62rebel

62rebel

I had one in a 34' motorhome, it had 20 feet of 3" dual exhaust, and believe me, once you hit the "sweet spot" on the throttle it sounded absolutely beautiful..... I called it my six-ton Corvette.

mgtstumpy, Tim, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

2 bolt main, cast crank, probably peanut port heads. Nothing special in motorhome 454s. It's what you put in it, that makes it special.

11. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Can't beat the price and if it turns out not so good you can get your money back. Ha! Good swap material also and chances are the trans is a T400, they don't give those away anymore like they used to. Good luck!

Jim Lato likes this.
  12. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

ya, i figured it was a win win. i been stocking up on my th400's too! it is one which is nice. thanks ! its actually alot of fun pulling it out because i get to wreck some stuff lol, he said hes digging a hole and burying the camper after all the goodies are taken off. im sure DNR will love that lol

13. W hat you probably have is your basic truck motor. Nothin wrong with that and unless you are really into bragging about cubic inch displacement it really resembles a 427 or a 396.

The heads are probably not real good and may even be peanut port heads, so without a cam and head change it is going to be just your basic stump pulling low RPM motor. But in a light car even with highway gears you should have a pretty good hole shot. :D :D :D

14. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

ya i was reading up that a standard thing is a top end upgrade since the 454 had a late start when they came out. emissions and fuel spikes back in the days.

15. oldolds

oldolds

Check the transmission for an overdrive unit added to the tail shaft. A friend just found one in a free camper.

kidcampbell71 and Atwater Mike like this.
  16. wicarnut

wicarnut

It will have the peanut port heads, low compression pistons, etc. it should be a 4 bolt main, cast crank, standard rods, drop the pan, easy to determine if cast or steel crank, GM made some real good BBC parts, steel cranks, dimple rods, forged pistons, cams, iron oval and square port heads, (flowed well) and alum L88 heads which I had a pair back in the day on a 427+ .060. I built a mild peanut port head 454 + .030 forged pistons, comp 10:1 (I was going to play/experiment with small nitrous kit) cast crank, rebuilt/stock rods, match ported heads/intake, comp cam/kit, blueprinted/balanced for my 32 back around 2007/8 on dyno with a 750 holly, made 425 HP with 550 torque, pretty amazing for not much done to it and not that much money spent (approx $4500) Never did install in my 32, after sitting for several years, sold it, (correction, gave it away, should have let it sit as a shop conversation piece) I might be interested take that boat anchor off your hands if you decide it's not for you.

17. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Good call!! I didn’t even think about that.

18. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Where at in WI are you? I may have some goodies around the farm here you may be interested but there is so much you would have to swing by. I’ll keep you in mind

19. The later heads are normally not a problem. In motor homes for some reason they used the crappiest heads they could find.
    One of the things that we sometimes do on our older big blocks is use the lazy open chamber '70s smogger heads to lower the compression a little bit. They can still be made to breath.

On that motor which is probably already a lower compression motor you may want to look for the older closed chamber heads to boost your compression a little bit.

That perhaps is a jim (@squirrel ) question. He plays with Big Block chevy motors a lot. I can make one run but he doesn't have to think about it to make it work.

20. badvolvo

badvolvo

Just pulled one out of a similar RV, it was two bolt, cast crank, peanut heads, BUT it has the th475, heavy duty version of the turbo 400. If it has the brake on the back, you can buy a slip yoke to fit it.

21. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya once I get this thing out and in front of me, I’ll come back with some info on what we got. And maybe @squirrel you could throw out there what a guy could do for high 500hp I don’t want to throw a ton of money at it but I’d like to make it snappy
    @porknbeaner I’ll have to look into the lazy heads a bit and see what I can find. May slap trick flow or brodix on it

chryslerfan55 and Kan Kustom like this.
  22. wicarnut

wicarnut

23. squirrel

squirrel

How much money do you want to spend?

swade41, INVISIBLEKID and Chappy444 like this.
  24. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Tell me about this? I never heard of that trans before. So it had a brake on the tail shaft??

25. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

3-4 grand. Nothing too wild

26. squirrel

squirrel

the 475 has straight cut planetary gears, and a few other goodies. Kind of overkill for most hot rod applications.

Do you want the engine to look traditional (late 60s)? or what?

do you have some idea of how many miles it will get driven, and under what conditions? And what the intended RPM range is?

Or does any of that matter, you just want an HP number? :)

27. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

well you will have to let me know when your coming by the eau claire area, im east of there 35 mins

28. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

its hard to say, id prob have it for more driving and tearing around than track days, but would be liking around 6500 for it to stay together. occasional track

29. Deuces

Deuces

I got my fingers crossed for ya.... ;)

Jim Lato likes this.
  30. Given my options I would go with trick flow if I went to modern heads. I run them on my SBC and they work.

I am no expert but I think you'll find that your compression is in the 8:1 range on that mill. If you want an easy 500 hp out of it a cam change a proper valve grind and a 671 is the way to go. You shouldn't even have to get crazy with your boost.

If you are not going to huff it you probably don't want the smogger heads you are going to need compression to make your zot. When I suggested smogger heads I was talking about older big blocks that were already on the 10-11:1 range from the factory and need a little less compression to run pump gas.