Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I finally got an injected 1961 Corvette !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31hotrodguy, Sep 24, 2020.

1. There’s nothing to compare to an early vette that i’m aware of. It’s an experience you'll love or hate! I’ve had a 57, 60, 69, 76 and they all had a certain “appeal” to them. If I could start fresh I would have a 61, they had the new ass end but still had the cove molding and no rocker trim. The best all around.

2. vetrod62

vetrod62

Hi Jim D, Thanks for all the good things you say about me. For the T handle, I have thought about doing the same as you, making it removable. Trouble deciding to go through the fiber glass or taking a spare tail light lens and drilling a hole through it and putting the un-cut lens back in when the T handle is not needed. Jim

3. vetrod62

vetrod62

I do not remember exactly, I know I saw the Rivera tail lights back then, liked them but fit was a little off. Now we are talking 1967, At that time there were lots of Dodge lights on the road and in junk yards, I just thought they would look good. Bought them and the rest is history.
    You install them left on right side and right on left side. and both upside down. They still need a small amount of bending. You need to be careful not to crack them. They came with super thin gaskets or real thick gaskets which were much easier to install. Jim

4. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Vetterod,
    It is definitely a good look for sure! One of the videos/pic of the car doing a Smokey burnout with the tail lights it’s up looks evil!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, scotty t and enloe like this.
  5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Adjustments.JPG

I got my scatter shield yesterday! It’s old but I like the fact that it has the side mounts for my 55/57 if I needed to switch it out.

I’m officially out of money for the time being. Lol But I should have what I think is enough to get started. Plus I’m still pulling parts I’ve stashed away that I forgot I had.

On a side note I told my wife I’m I was ordering a bunch of parts for the 61 and she asked “are they expensive?” to which I responded “stop right there, if it has the word corvette attached to it you never have to ask that question again!” Kinda like woman stuff and weddings. She understood the analogy. Lol

6. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

On a side note I am Thankful I have an understanding wife that is excited about the 61. All I had to do in return was buy her the red OT 69 mopar she wanted and promise to move out of California. No big deal! Lol

7. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

^^^^I gave up looking for a nice used scattershield and block plate and ordered a new one for the vette yesterday, nice score:D

loudbang, scotty t and 31hotrodguy like this.
  8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

When I did a half hearted search for a new one it didn’t have the bracket welded to the side for the clutch linkage but like I mentioned it was half hearted because I wanted to bell housing mounts anyways in case I swap. Did the new one you found have the clutch bracket?

9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

You can do a lot of things to make your car bad ass but to me we you agree to a scatter shield it is like fixing bayonets in war.....you plan to do battle! Lol

catdad49, lumpy 63, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  10. jimdillon

jimdillon

Plus when you run slicks, the tracks look to see if you are running a scatter shield-at least in my neck of the woods. I probably have an extra scattershield but they are so damn heavy it would cost a fortune to ship them.

catdad49, lumpy 63, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  11. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

It showed it in the pics, will be here tomorrow . I'll let you know. Application stated fits 58-62 Corvette.

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  12. vetrod62

vetrod62

I bought a used shield several years ago. It did not dial out true for the transmission input. Scraped it, bought a new Lakewood. The new on dialed out perfect. It came with a clutch bracket, but it was spaced wrong for our cars. made my own ball bracket. better than the original. Jim

upload_2020-10-5_20-59-44.png

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    catdad49, TFoch, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  13. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Good to know! What transmission is that in your car? By the way I sent you a private message an a email today.

Scott

loudbang likes this.
  14. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Adjustments.JPG

Okay, so just measure, cut and fiber glass a tail light cup for the 5th and 6th tail lights on the trunk side right?

15. Nice story and your enthusiasm is infectious . I have a couple 62s nesting around here for years . They are on their way with many phases of the builds complete . The 61s have always been a favorite of mine done in Jewel Blue , white cove . I can visualize your build with the 6 light touch if keeping it in the theme of how it was when Blairs put their touch on the car years ago. One of my 62's is slated for an attitude and altitude adjustment. Good luck with your dream car.

16. vetrod62

vetrod62

I had been running a TKO-600, but it shifted too slow. Took it out and installed my old M22 wide ratio from Auto Gear. I built it from an old M-20. A great transmission. Picked up 3/10s. Huge.

I think I responded to you PM 2 hours ago. Jim

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  17. vetrod62

vetrod62

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, But Third tail lights on C1s are out of balance. They do not space equally with the bumpers as on C2s. On C2s they look perfectly balanced.

olscrounger and loudbang like this.
  18. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I think we need to start a new thread on C1 performance upgrades. As not to highjack current threads. I'm curious about the wide ratio M22 conversion and the rear gear used in a 1/4 mile application. Also input on the 3rd to 4th ratio drop.

19. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, But Third tail lights on C1s are out of balance. They do not space equally with the bumpers as on C2s. On C2s they look perfectly balanced.[/QUOTE]

Oh sure, now you tell me! Lol

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

B7851B68-CD80-4D72-BCAF-7D2B6E3207E5.jpeg CEC65121-82D8-406F-8639-E54C22C08F8D.jpeg F384799C-27A0-4E6E-95B1-9276957D75DB.jpeg
    Oh sure, now you tell me! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/QUOTE]

I think they look just right.....

catdad49, MCjim, 6-bangertim and 8 others like this.
  21. :D:D:D :D:D:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

just having some fun...

22. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

How about you cut the factory inner light buckets out, move them closer to the outer buckets, which allows the 5th & 6th buckets to be within the bumper confines? Basically spacing them out like a C2?

catdad49, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

You guys are really over thinking this. The 6 lights look fine on these.....

380108B4-87D8-4649-BD5D-6FECC451EDF9.jpeg 9BD2CCBA-9773-4E2A-B9B1-12D03F9BE2AA.jpeg

24. alchemy

alchemy

I think Moriarity did some trickery with the fiberglass. He's known for his fiberglass work.

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Actually it was already an Impala (6 lts) when I got it....... the 2 are the stock locations....

catdad49, 65pacecar, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  26. jimdillon

jimdillon

"I think we need to start a new thread on C1 performance upgrades. As not to highjack current threads. I'm curious about the wide ratio M22 conversion and the rear gear used in a 1/4 mile application. Also input on the 3rd to 4th ratio drop."

Colin I agree we do not want to clog up this great thread but feel free to start a new thread on C1 performance upgrades. There are some people on the HAMB that could enlighten us with how to make improvements. Vetrod's 62 pulls the wheels with ease so he could help all of us with how to set up a C1. When Jim (Vetrod) and I spoke years ago on the benefits of an M22 wide, I had an M21 in my black car which is a stock 327/365 engine (no changes from when I bought it from the factory in 1977). Although I have to rely more on the seat of the pants "science", you can really feel the difference in the way the 2.52 versus 2.20 first gear pulls through all of first gear. I did not feel too much difference in the third to fourth gear drop but then again I am not making that much power and pretty much run out of steam at that point anyways. I drive my car on the freeway so I stuck with a 3.70 but if I can ever get back to it, I have a derelict project partially started, where I will run a 4.11 Pontiac rear with an M22 wide (at least that is my plan). They are fun all around since you can appreciate the pull even on your way to a cruise without breaking the speed laws while cleaning out your spark plugs and enjoy the benefits at the track. My .02 cents. Hopefully a C1 performance thread will appear one of these days-good idea IMO.

catdad49, loudbang, enloe and 5 others like this.
  27. vetrod62

vetrod62

Hi Jim D, You post is right on. The wide ratio with todays easily made HP, no longer is a close ratio needed. I pull wheels in second gear every run also, and once in 3rd. The down side is lots of drive train breakage. My goal is to reduce traction. Those 9.3 Pontiac rears are not getting any lighter. The M-22 trans can be bought fully built, or just gear replacements ($700 back in 2003) and installed in most m-20 or m-21 cases. The M-23 is even a better trans. The days of 70 pound flywheels and close ratio transmissions are gone. BTW I run 4.30 gears on a spool on the street with 35 spline axles and slicks.( because it just blows the tires off in 1&2nd gears with wide low compound tires) And the only way to not blow another expensive rear.
    Please no lectures on the risk of doing that, I know the risks and willing to chance it. I am not suggesting any else to do that.

I could probably contribute lot to a thread like that. Jim

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    catdad49, loudbang, enloe and 5 others like this.
  28. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Congrats on the Vette, looking forward to watch the build. A nice R4 Red 1969 Hemi Road Runner Convertible would be nice for her and she could enjoy the California weather while still there.

loudbang, 31hotrodguy and scotty t like this.
  29. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

Outback, catdad49, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  30. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Congrats on the Vette, looking forward to watch the build. A nice R4 Red 1969 Hemi Road Runner Convertible would be nice for her and she could enjoy the California weather while still there.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Yeah a hemi road runner would be nice but they my the corvette look cheap! She went for a one owner (family friend) very original factory red 340 swinger. It is definitely fun to drive!