Register now to get rid of these ads!

i bought a galaxie today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by triplexkustoms, May 2, 2006.

1. mojo66

mojo66

The frames in these rust out real bad. I had a 66 that my grandfather bought new, the body never rusted out but the frame was swiss cheese. I worh in the Ford plant where these were built(as did my grandfather) His job was actually loading the frames from the "yard" to the line. He said the reason these rusted out was that there is a hole on the top of the frame for stacking them(under the front of thye doors) ans there was no hole in the bottom, so, the water ran down the cowl into the frame and had no way of getting out. Or so I have heard.

2. burger

burger

That's a seriously nice car!

As clean as it is, I wouldn't screw with it too much.

I don't really like the skirts. By 1965 they made no sense. My 65 Fairlane came with them and the first thing I did was to remove them.

I see it with black rims, baby moon caps, and thin whitewalls.

Ditch the vinyl top and the trim around it; spray the roof with a metalflake that matches the darker red vinyl on the interior.

Take the emblems off when you have the $$$ for a respray.

Lower it enough so that you know it's lowered, not enough to get you in trouble. Slight rake.

Well, that's how I'd do it.

Ed

3. 65LTD

65LTD

Here's a pic of my '65. Also equipped with 352, 4 barrel and duals.

I believe the stainless beltline trim was a dealer installed option, it doesn't appear in any picture in the '65 sales brochure. Mine came with fender skirts in the trunk too, I don't like the look and have never used them.

I don't think there are any inherent front end problems. In fact Nascar has run the same basic design for years. Mine has 97K miles, I did replace the upper control arm bushings, a couple ball joints and the sway bar links. With a good alignment it drives straight and true.

Do check the frame for rust, I had to have one small area of mine repaired.

A worthwhile upgrade is to a dual reservoir master cylinder. Order a master for a '67 Galaxie with the same brake system (power or manual). I just did mine and it was pretty simple with a little replumbing.

Attached Files:

4. Frank

Frank

I read somewhere there were like 30 different trim options available. Especially in 66. There are so many combinations of chrome trim.

The suspension is VERY similar to a Mustang II just larger.

I second that about the master cylinder. I also used one from a 67. I decided to keep my front drums but there are a lot of guys that convert over to disk. I personally don't think its worth the headaches I hear that sometimes come with it. Just split the front and rear circuit from the splitter block and plumb them to your new MC.

5. For ideas you should study television episodes of Quinn Martin Productions produced in 65-66 such as "The F.B.I" (starring Effrem Zimbalist Jr.!) and "The Invaders" (starring Roy Thinnes!) Everyone drives Fords on those shows and you will think you are on a weird drug from the effect. It's entertaining!

6. raaf

raaf

frank, i'd like to see more pics of that car.

7. Yeah, that is a 65.
    I have three...well two, sold the white ragtop at Jefferson last weekend.
    Here is a photo of when I pulled all into the shop to avoid some hail a few weeks ago.
    Two converts, both 352 auto 500's and one XL hardtop 4 speed car.
    All nice.
    I have a super nice 64 hardtop also and a few parts cars in the 64/66 vintage.
    Love the 63-66 Galaxie!!!

Attached Files:

8. PWH42

PWH42

Guess what???????????????
    Your 66 is not a 66.It's a 65!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Paul

TANSTAFL