Register now to get rid of these ads!

I bought a 61 Ford Ranch Wagon...Now What?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOWFOMOCO, Jan 24, 2012.

1. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well that sucks about the 289 and the AOD....what about the 5 speed option behind the 289? Any suggestions?

2. Greg D

Greg D

In the March Car Kulture Deluxe there is an Olds F 85 wagon that was shortened to a 2 door and built gasser style - jus sayin............................

3. Man, those wagons take me back . I learned how to drive in my dads wagon. 390 3 spd standard. Car really hauled ass to.

4. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

That things already got 3 pedals!
    It be a shame to not use em!

Switching to an automatic would be like a guy with a dirtbike trading it in for a quad cuz he's to much of a panzy ass to ride the dirtbike;)

Shit, put an auto in and you could duct tape a hamster to the steering wheel and let him drive.:D

Now if you have a bum leg and can't use the clutch I'll let you off the hook:)

Good luck

5. derbydad276

derbydad276

if your building a highway car cant beat a stock efi 302 with a aode with a 3.23 rear probabally pull 20 + mpg highway at 80
    done right you could retain the cruise and air
    wanna get crazy drop a 4.6 in it out of a crown vic Ive seen a couple of stand alone wire harness for them

6. skoh73

skoh73

Here's the first version- I'll do more. It is hell to try to find skinny whites with vintage Torque Thrust type wheels. That's what I was going for. Anyhoo...
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

7. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Cool photoshop...feel free to do more...

Thanks

8. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear ya...I really want to keep the clutch....hell I would keep it on the column if I could get more gears....Nothing like shifting on the column..Can I get a 5 speed on the column? [​IMG]

9. Rebuild that 289 & find a 3sd overdrive. Not as many gears but keeps the shifter on the columb & you get od.

10. JEM

JEM

Yes, if originality is not a factor.

Sell that 5-bolt 289 block to someone restoring a '64.5 Mustang.

Use the proceeds to go out and buy something else (I've already floated my '96 Explorer and mid-'90s roller-block 351W suggestions earlier.)

11. JEM

JEM

The only SOHC 4.6s worth having are the late 250-260HP ones with the better heads. Most of the Crown Vic 4.6s are horrid wheezers.

12. TexasDart

TexasDart

My 4.6 is a great running engine...but it's a big beast for a 281. Yes they breath better after about 03.

13. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I actually have a DOHC 4.6 with a transmission out of a 94 Mark 8...I am sure it will fit....I just really want to keep this thing simple....Carburated small block with a 5 speed....maybe even with a 3x2 set up.....

14. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Sounds like 1/2 of your decision right there. Here's a video of a 61 Ford with a four speed on the column. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjkRB1Ibjj0 Obviously, it isn't stock. Anyway, just find a 390 and four speed and you're all set.

15. sololobo

sololobo

Nice score bro, I have not seen a 61 Ford wagon on the road for years. We are blessed to have some awesome Ranch Wagons here on the H.A.M.B, I think we need a Ranch Wagon/Ford Wagon club, you in? Go for it ~sololobo~

Attached Files:

16. Great find especially with the requisite clutch pedal in place. If it were mine, I'd go with a 351 Cleveland, either a Top Loader 4-speed or T5 and a 3.90 ish rear. Wide whites and poverty caps, disc brakes and basic paint and interior upgrade.

Bob

17. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about a 400 Ford? I happen to have one...and a bell housing..all I would need is the transmission. My concern is torque to weight ratio...I don't plan on banging gears or driving this car hard but I don't want to be afraid to put my foot into it either...

Anybody ever put a 5 speed behind a 351M/400?

I know it is not a high HP motor but it does have a lot of torque...would you stay away from it?

18. JEM

JEM

Yeah, I know of a Pantera with a 400 in it...but I don't think that was the question you're asking.

How much head, how much intake, how much cam?

I don't think a stock 351M would break a T5 without some abuse, but 400 cubes and/or any breathing on the engine and you'll need a TKO/3550 or better (and once again I don't know enough about M5R2s to venture an opinion.)

IIRC the 400s were made with both big-block and small-block bell bolt patterns, you'd need to make sure everything you've got would mate up.

The Aussies bolt Toyota transmissions to everything, and they got the Clevelands for another decade after they went out of production here, I know they've got some clever bells and adapters for stuff...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  19. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Nice score. I have a 61 Galaxie 2 door that I have driven and it was nice.
    Crites has the swap kits for Clevelands and fibreglass body parts.
    Reasonable on the prices too. I plan/pray to put my Cleveland C-6 into my Galaxie this year.

20. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about some WW's....I have these on some old Plymouth wheels....

I am still leaning on steelies and dog dish caps....

[​IMG]

21. I like the blue & whites. Hell redo the body in that stock wimboltn white and the interior in that blue.

22. A 400 Ford would be great, use what you have around. I think the 5-speed would hold up fine for just driving around. Things like burnouts and beating the crap out of it are probably not wise.

Bob

23. alpar

alpar
    from SD

After 8-3-64 ford went to 6 bolt bellhousing on 289.

24. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Is your kid watering the pool ??? Great looking car by the way.

25. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Is your kid watering the pool ??? Great looking car by the way.[/QUOTE]

Don't be silly.

He's obviously feeding the dolphin.

26. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Sweet wagon by the way.

If you go 302 I believe they went roller cam in 93-94?

27. JEM

JEM

'86-up HOs were all roller cam, other 302s '86-up should have roller-compatible blocks but some non-HOs stayed flat tappet until...uh, I dunno. Roller lifters and hardware can be reused if in good nick so it's always good to get the stuff even if you plan to change the cam.

351Ws didn't get rollers until '94 and I don't think all models/lines got them initially, don't assume I know what I'm talking about though, I'm nothing like an authority. The F4TE blocks should be roller-compatible; they were once in substantial demand here in CA 'cause the only way to legally put a 351W in a Fox/SN95 Mustang was (probably still is) to build off the same block part # used in the '95 Cobra R.

Just 'cause I don't like surprises I'd pull the intake and check on any 351W and any pre-'91ish 302.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  28. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

I'm thinking it was probably in F150's that rollers came in so late in 302's (93-94)

that's probably what I was thinkin of...

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  30. DJUDSTER

DJUDSTER

I would put in a 390 & c6. then change the rear gears to 2:90 or 3:08 out of a Granada. With a tall rear tire you will spin about 2,300 at 75-80 and those tall gears are cheaper than AOD or the 5 speed plus you avoid the hassle of the clutch pedal changeover. Old school my friend..........