Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Beam Caster Setup Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaveyJonez, May 9, 2012.

1. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Ok:

I mocked up my front end at ~ride height (Dropped 32 Heavy, Spring Over, Hairpins.) With the spring bolted up just tight enough to eliminate slop, the caster is almost dead flat (0).

Next, I adjust the hairpins to get 5 degrees of caster, as measured at the top of the kingpin boss.

Here is my question (concern)- Isn't pulling the spring back with the hairpin adjustment (the only way to dial in the 5 degrees of caster) putting the whole front end in a big bind?

When I look at the spring now, I can see clearance between the back edge of the spring, and the spring pad (I havn't tightened the spring yet).

Is this normal, or have I overlooked something.

Thanks in Advance,
    Dave

2. Ole don

Ole don

Is the front crossmember welded in yet? It too should be layed back at the top. I know the book says five to seven degrees. I like double that.

3. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Yes, the spring pad (t bucket style) is already welded. I will check to see if it is layed back

4. Fenders

Fenders

You either lay back the crossmemeber or put in a wedge spacer.

5. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

I think I need adjustable spring perches?

Dve

6. doctorZ

doctorZ

If the crossmember is welded in, you should look into adjustable perches. Otherwise, you will bind your shackles. Your other option is to re-weld the front crossmember. Either way, don't forget to measure everything with all four tires on the ground. I have seen a ton of people set up there caster only to have it completely change once they put 'bigs and littles' on the car.

7. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Thanks Guys-

I just ordered some adjustable spring perches, that will do it.

Dve

8. Don't forget that the frame has to be on the rake (angle) it would be at ride position.
    If the rear comes up ..you reduce caster, lower and you get more. Spring and axle need to be at the same angle.

9. As the rest said, you need to have it not in bind. Either the crossmember needs to be rewelded in or use the adjustable perch or shim. Sounds like you have the adjustable perch solution.