Register now to get rid of these ads!

hypothetical Edsel trans question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little_E, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Little_E

Little_E

Ok, so I'm working on a 58 Edsel with the teletouch transmission. The car has been sitting for at least 15 years, maybe longer. The car was driven into a barn and parked years ago after the last owner's son rear ended someone with it. When we bought it (4 years ago) the engine was siezed up so dad pulled it and rebuilt it before running short on cash. Now that I have a job its time to get this thing going again and we're getting close to dropping the engine back in.

Here's where the uncertainty comes into play . . .

Does anyone know how reliable these transmissions were?

Can I expect that with a little TLC it can work again, or will it most likely take a dump on me?

If it does decide to not work, is there anyone in the Central/Southeastern Ohio area that is known for good trans work on older cars that would do the work for a reasonable price?

2. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

or... if this thing is a bad bet for just making a driver out of this car, any good suggestions as to a different trans that could be used? i can handle the fabrication of a new crossmember and the like, and there's a good driveshaft shop in town for that part of it all. just that i know dick about ford transmissions, don't know what other kind to possibly look for or what particular cars to look for a winner in...

3. tragic59

tragic59

The trannies are okay. It's the shifter's that suck ass. The pushbutton set-up is electric. And as such is prone to "gremlins".

The unreliability of the shifter is part of what gave the Edsel such a bad name, and why they ditched the idea for '59 & '60.

But, they can be made to be reliable. There are people who drive their Edsels as daily drivers.

The factory tranny repair manuals are not too hard to come by. I got mine off of E-bay.

I would look for info on edsel.com. If you don't find it readily available on the site, contact the Edsel club and see what they say.

They did make a manual 3 speed in 1958 that would most likely fit, and I think I have even heard of a standard column shifted automatic. But the majority of the '58's came with the pushbutton... I have also wondered about the possibility of using a 59 Edsel tranny behind the 58 motor. It might work.

Good luck with it. They are pretty cool cars, even if they're an acquired taste.

4. Little_E

Little_E

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Makes me worry less about it!

Thanks a million!